Vacation system update

Vacation system update

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
22 Feb 07

I like the system. It's a bit more simple than I suggested in the site ideas forum, but sometimes simpler is better.

36 days maybe too long though. I thought a more reasonable number would have been 2 or 3 weeks. Basically just a bit of extra time for unplanned "emergencies" when you need time away from RHP altogether, like real emergencies, business trips, etc.

eg

Moves
22 Feb 07

That's a nice idea, but why for subscribers only? It condemns the non-subscribers to play without any right or protection

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by el gil
That's a nice idea, but why for subscribers only? It condemns the non-subscribers to play without any right or protection
As Russ pointed out already, it is probably better for non-subscribers to not have this feature. That way, as long as non-subs leave a couple of their games open for other non-subs, they will not have five people go on vacation on them and leave them without any games to play. If this happens to a subscriber, they could just start another game.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by el gil
You mean exactly like before?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You mean exactly like before?
This is correct. I know this feels like the first time non-subs have lost a feature due to an upgrade, but it was a feature of very questionable value anyway.

-Russ

J

Moves
22 Feb 07

your change is bad! from 14th march this is only a pay-community...i think its a big step backward in the history of the free world wide web, but only for your site..the are so much other chees sites.....:-)

nice wishes from germany..

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Russ
This is correct. I know this feels like the first time non-subs have lost a feature due to an upgrade, but it was a feature of very questionable value anyway.

-Russ
Maybe two possible updates in the distant future if this vacation upgrade works out?

1) Have two different vacation flags. One "official", one "non-official"

2) Allow users to choose the option of ignoring timeout immunity when making a game challenge

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Feb 07
1 edit

To respond to all those concerned about tournaments. We knew this feature could be damaging to tournament progress in particular, and that would be what the naysayers would protest about most strongly.

Well, to counter that, I wanted the 'tournament round progression prior to all group games being finished' code to be released at about the same time, or shortly after the vacation code is available.

This looks likely to happen as I have been finding time to get that finished. (I have posted about it again here Thread 63433).

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by bosintang
Maybe two possible updates in the distant future if this vacation upgrade works out?

1) Have two different vacation flags. One "official", one "non-official"

2) Allow users to choose the option of ignoring timeout immunity when making a game challenge
The existing flag causes endless confusion as it is. (Re: lots of feedback from people saying they lost their games despite having their flag up, then swearing at us and vowing to never use this service again, etc.)

We need to eliminate the vacation flag in its current form.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by orfeo
Well, you could only do that for one round. I'd be interested to see if your prediction pans out, though.

I have no idea why there were two PMs. Maybe the first one didn't go to everyone so it was resent? Lord knows my orienteering club pulls that trick often enough.
See my post above about tournaments.

Regarding the double post - I can't explain it, the broadcast bot got a little too enthusiastic. But it was killed before it completed the second batch, so not everyone was affected. Worse things have happened. 🙂

-Russ

h

Moves
22 Feb 07

Comments on the devastating effect that this feature will have on the Clan Leagues are welcome in Thread 63419.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by hopscotch
Comments on the devastating effect that this feature will have on the [b]Clan Leagues are welcome in Thread 63419.[/b]
Comments of hyperbole, and uber drama are welcomed in Thread 32478

D

D

Moves
22 Feb 07
1 edit

I appreciate the vacation features, and like the new concept. My only question is why not give the non-subs a couple of days a year instead of the whole 36? Say 6 days like the games? That way everyone has the feature, but the subs still get a better version of it. I realize this may be impractical, but possible compromise. As for subs vs non-subs, I find they play about the same in terms of rate of play.

DS

Moves
22 Feb 07
7 edits

Originally posted by bosintang
As Russ pointed out already, it is probably better for non-subscribers to not have this feature. That way, as long as non-subs leave a couple of their games open for other non-subs, they will not have five people go on vacation on them and leave them without any games to play. If this happens to a subscriber, they could just start another game.
I don't think he said it was BETTER - he said it was an extra feature to make subscribing more attractive. No one could justifiably say it was better because of the fact that non-subs cannot use it. The only SURE way now of non-subscribers having a fair game is for them to only play other non-subs - apart from the subscribers they know and can trust of course. (most non-subs games are against unknown opponents though I guess)

Anyway, it won't affect me as I will be making my own arrangements. 🙁

edit; We don't want the feature ourselves [non-subscribers] but we don't want to be left with no choice but to resign or face lengthy waits.

Also it is wide open to abuse.

D

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

edit; We don't want the feature ourselves [non-subscribers] but we don't want to be left with no choice but to resign or face lengthy waits.

Also it is wide open to abuse.[/b]
You have another choice: subscribe.