Forum post recommendations reset

Forum post recommendations reset

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B

Moves
23 Sep 06

B

Moves
23 Sep 06

Originally posted by Russ
In a further effort to make the forum post recommendation system more effective, all 'recommendation' data has been reset, and now forum recommendations are now limited to 10 in a 30 day period for a particular user. (This remains a subscriber only feature, to prevent abuse).

-Russ
Great move, and one which will hopefully minimise a lot of the crap that is constantly spewed out on these forums.

C

Argentina

Moves
23 Sep 06

Originally posted by Russ
In a further effort to make the forum post recommendation system more effective, all 'recommendation' data has been reset, and now forum recommendations are now limited to 10 in a 30 day period for a particular user. (This remains a subscriber only feature, to prevent abuse).

-Russ
(A cross post from the General Forums, sorry)

What about recs being non cumulative? That is, being reset to 0 every, say, 30 days? It'd stop the stupid race to get them. And the rec system should mantain its functionality.

Of course, I'm referring only to the individual record of rec's.
So, any post in the last 7 (or maybe more) will retain the correct number of recs it deserved in that period.

Only a non-elaborated idea.

- J

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
23 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
You've got a point but

I have earned my recs over the past few years being active in the foum and although I have never paid too much attention to them, a status symbol has been taken away here (I look like anyone without any recs now) ... The same goes for things like move-count ... With 40.000+ moves I belong to a small group of poeple w ing chess here) and I stand my ground to say that I do not agree with it.

Regards
Boris
If the rec system never existed, the forums would have still existed and none of us would have complained. The very fact that the total recs does exist is what made it become an issue, hence us complaining when the total rec count gets reset.

I think a better system would be not to have a total rec count but still allow for individual posts to be recommended (so we can still see them in the most recommended posts link). Afterall, it is the posts that are supposed to be rec'ed, not the person. This would reduce on the number of people trolling for recs.

It maybe true that a lot of your recs could be well deserved, but a huge number of recs throughout the site are certainly not well deserved. For Russ to filter through what were good or bad recs would have been an impossible task, hence him making the decision to start from scratch and reset it completely was a good one (apart from not getting rid of total recs completely. 😉 ).

C

Argentina

Moves
23 Sep 06

Originally posted by lausey
If the rec system never existed, the forums would have still existed and none of us would have complained. The very fact that the total recs does exist is what made it become an issue, hence us complaining when the total rec count gets reset.

I think a better system would be not to have a total rec count but still allow for individual posts to be recommend ...[text shortened]... reset it completely was a good one (apart from not getting rid of total recs completely. 😉 ).
So, I understand you basically agree with me. In my previous post I proposed a procedure to deal with the subject that may have flaws, but my intention was what you expressed in words.

Cheers

- J

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
23 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by CrazyLilTing
So, I understand you basically agree with me. In my previous post I proposed a procedure to deal with the subject that may have flaws, but my intention was what you expressed in words.

Cheers

- J
Actually, I didn't read your post before sending my last one, just replied to Boris, but I originally suggested the idea a few days ago. 😉

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=51099&page=3

Your idea does sound good as well though.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Sep 06

Actually, I didn't read your post before sending my last one, just replied to Boris, but I originally suggested the idea a few days ago. 😉
I suggested it months ago. 😉

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
24 Sep 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
I suggested it months ago. 😉
Actually, that is where you are wrong. I remember about 10 years ago I thought to myself, "One day when I am playing on an internet chess site, I will have to suggest not having a total recs count". I just forgot to mention it when I joined the site.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Sep 06
1 edit

Actually, that is where you are wrong. I remember about 10 years ago I thought to myself, "One day when I am playing on an internet chess site, I will have to suggest not having a total recs count". I just forgot to mention it when I joined the site.
Actually, this idea has been propagated in my family for generations. We talked about this a lot at home. My first words were "total wrecks count".

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
24 Sep 06

Actually, this idea has been propagated in my family for generations. We talked about this a lot at home. My first words were "total wrecks count".
hmph.....I don't believe you. 😛

Vn

Moves
24 Sep 06

can non-subs be recced or rec?

N

The sky

Moves
24 Sep 06

Originally posted by Vladamir no1
can non-subs be recced or rec?
Can non-subs read?

Vn

Moves
24 Sep 06

Can non-subs read?
Please don't bring your general forum humour to a serious forum, thankyou.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Sep 06

Originally posted by Vladamir no1
Please don't bring your general forum humour to a serious forum, thankyou.
Please read the thread before you ask questions. Your second question is answered there, and you can find the answer to the first question easily by looking at some non-sub posts.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Sep 06

Can non-subs read?
No vit allowed in Announcements.

That is all.

D