Clan challenge rule change - enforced matchup balancing

Clan challenge rule change - enforced matchup balancing

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
25 Jan 16

Dave, you once said to me that no matter what system is in place, there will always be a way for people to exploit any "loopholes" and give themselves (or others) an unfair advantage.
Narrowing the points difference to 100, or making it a 5 year average instead may help, but not significantly... it would only be a half measure.

My thoughts? Take the full measure and have the very people who are guilty of wrongdoing banned.

Moves
25 Jan 16
1 edit

I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the year wins. With each clan having it's own rating the top team wont get much points from playing the lowest rated team, if they get any at all.

This would also have an added bonus of shifting the focus on skill rather than just playing fast with a ton of games on the go to get more points.

Can anybody think of a more fair and balanced system than this?

Here

Moves
25 Jan 16

Originally posted by venda
By preventing a clan mounting multiple big challenges against a "dummy" clan and falsifying the results as I think Al is suggesting.
There's also a rule which stops re - challenges between clans within a certain period meaning clans can't conclude challenges almost immediately and then mount a new one
If clans are doing this as soon as the time period expir ...[text shortened]... he admins who should be able to do something about it.
I suggest sending feedback with evidence
Must admit I hadn't noticed this but let's deal with one thing at a time
Please support my proposal on "Site Ideas "
The Clan getting challenges giving results can only come from members in the same clans
Obviously where members are in two clans whether or not they are in the same challenge should be stopped

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
25 Jan 16

Originally posted by KnightStalker47
I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the ye ...[text shortened]... on the go to get more points.

i can think of problems for low rated players.
Who is going to accept a 1200 or lower player into their clan if it lowers their overall clan rating?.
The system you propose is already in place in the site clan leagues where match ups are automatic regardless of rating.
Consequently not many weak clans enter the site leagues

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
25 Jan 16

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Dave, you once said to me that no matter what system is in place, there will always be a way for people to exploit any "loopholes" and give themselves (or others) an unfair advantage.
Narrowing the points difference to 100, or making it a 5 year average instead may help, but not significantly... it would only be a half measure.

My thoughts? Take the full measure and have the very people who are guilty of wrongdoing banned.
First of all you've got to prove it and secondly banning people loses revenue for the site.
Another of my beliefs is that in all walks of life the bottom line always comes down to money

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 16

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Is there a system that works against people willing to sandbag and throw games? 😛
How about clan leaders having a backbone and just not recruiting these players?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 16

Originally posted by Wycombe Al
least net points this year Anti Metallica and Breaking Bad, highest Easy Riders, i think everyone can clearly see now waht is happening and that the clan system is dead
Well, it's not yet dead, but certainly on life support.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 16

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain

I agree.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Easy-peasy.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 16

I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the ye ...[text shortened]... on the go to get more points.

Yes.

I say cut the mumbo-jumbo with number of points this and 5 yr that.

Let's have a clan game rating and a non-clan game rating. That will stop all the sandbagging like a freaking heart attack.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
06 Feb 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Yes.

Let's have a clan game rating and a non-clan game rating. That will stop all the sandbagging like a freaking heart attack.
You may have something there.
I can't remember this being suggested before and I can't think of any drawbacks offhand.
After all you can have an exclusive club rating so why not an exclusive clan rating?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
24 Feb 16
1 edit

There is no activity on stopping the problem of the collusion.

Even if you can't fix the hardware, you could adjust the ill gotten points.
It has been done in the past, so why not again?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
24 Feb 16

By preventing a clan mounting multiple big challenges against a "dummy" clan and falsifying the results as I think Al is suggesting.
There's also a rule which stops re - challenges between clans within a certain period meaning clans can't conclude challenges almost immediately and then mount a new one
If clans are doing this as soon as the time period expir ...[text shortened]... he admins who should be able to do something about it.
I suggest sending feedback with evidence
But with 3 concurrent challenges of 15-20 players times two feeder clans to the
cheating clan, it would easily generate 90-120 gift points every few weeks.
No clan could overcome a 1500-2000 point gift deficit in a year.
The system as it sits is a joke.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Feb 16
2 edits

First of all you've got to prove it and secondly banning people loses revenue for the site.
Another of my beliefs is that in all walks of life the bottom line always comes down to money
I believe you said it in a nut shell bottom line comes down to money. I've seen a few good suggestions also, on how to handle the situation.

Get rid of the few involved, sure you lose some revenue but you get the problem cleaned up, with very good odds no one will try the same thing again.

Plan B, suspend the ones involved and take away the points, then again the point you brought up is to prove it. One could come pretty close to seeing the stolen points, IMHO.

Who before almost the end of February has EVER had such a lead on some pretty good teams? It does get ridiculous.

My 5 cents worth, as we don't have any pennies any more in Canada.
-VR

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 16

Normally, I'd support this, but for the presence of Engineeers.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Yes.

You can always sandbag in clan games in which the team outcome is already decided.