Site popularity & 2006 championship

Site popularity & 2006 championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by cludi
... I'm just wondering why no top 10 player are signed up yet...
i think you could make a fairly strong argument that quirine is in the top ten ... with 168 games on the go ...

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by flexmore
i think that russ has started 527 tournaments in the last year and that many people are just too busy ...
There's much truth in that. I'm awash with games. I have 74 tournament games, and only 3 of them are first round games. Recently, I've been dumped with several new rounds of tournaments that I'd long forgotten about. Just as you think you're making progress getting the game load down... Wham! Another one strikes.

Still, if you're going to play just one tournament over the coming year, this is the one to play. It has an edge to it that all the other tournaments lack.

Insane in the Brain!

The House of Pain.

Moves
27 Dec 05

Finally some people see what I tried to say earlier.
I guess that you have to pick your tournaments, before you start.
But hey what do I know, I'm just a newbee.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by cludi
I would say the site has become slightly more popular than when I started out 1½ years ago. And I'm sure we'll have at least 400 participating in the 2006 championship. I'm just wondering why no top 10 player are signed up yet...
I agree it would be nice to see as many top players as possible in the championship as possible. In the top ten there are only 2 players (Memen and David Tebb) who have moved more than 600 moves in the last month.

Maybe the top ten players are in the top ten because they consider every move very carefully. They therefore cannot cope with many games and an initial group size of 9 is frightening.

I'm surprised Mr Tebb has not yet entered, however he does have an extra responsibilty this year.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
27 Dec 05

You guys forget that a 0 days timeout+ 60 days timebank implies a constant committment to play which is not always possible due to work committments and holidays ,we all know that the top dogs move slower and they surely don't want to have losses on timeouts.

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
27 Dec 05
1 edit

I agree with Gatecrasher; The gameload may be (too) high
at times but still the top 10 players should feel some kind of responsibility to play the event of the year.
Yes, flexmore, Quirine is of course to be counted as a top 10 player
but I was referring to the current top 10...

I have the greatest respect for Quirine and his game and would have no problem seeing him running away with the championship again, but I think it's sad if none of the top dogs tries to stop him from winnning back to back championships...

s

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by Loose Screw
Maybe it's because people are in a lot of tournaments all ready!
Some tournaments have 2x19=38 games. A couple of clan-games, sieges, personal friend games and you have a lot of games to play.
If you have all of these I can imagine that you don't want to have another 2x8=16 games. And let's not forget that most people have no change in winning, then it ...[text shortened]... ve it more change if it has different catagories. 0-1000, 1001-1100, or something like that.
I fully agree. In the first place I do not like to play more than 10 simultaneous games, so 2x8 or more is out of the question for me. Secondly, I think one should pick their fight: in a grand, open tourney like this I would never stand a chance winning it. I prefer to pick smaller tourneys, duels or tourneys with max groups of 4

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by sevenstar
I fully agree. In the first place I do not like to play more than 10 simultaneous games, so 2x8 or more is out of the question for me. Secondly, I think one should pick their fight: in a grand, open tourney like this I would never stand a chance winning it. I prefer to pick smaller tourneys, duels or tourneys with max groups of 4
I think you are all just chicken...

:-)

Insane in the Brain!

The House of Pain.

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by pineapple42
I think you are all just chicken...

:-)
For you're information a chicken is female and last time I looked I was a male, soo shouldn't that be rooster?
Oh, no than it would mean nothing.
😛

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by Loose Screw
For you're information a chicken is female and last time I looked I was a male, soo shouldn't that be rooster?
Oh, no than it would mean nothing.
😛
Your and then 🙂

Insane in the Brain!

The House of Pain.

Moves
27 Dec 05

Thanks for giving me the right spelling, I will learn to write and speak English properly one day (I hope).😳

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
28 Dec 05
1 edit

in 143 hours we have gained 111 players (338 now).

keep on coming!

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by flexmore
143 hours..... keep on coming!
As the actress said to the bishop 😉

NL

Moves
29 Dec 05

My own personal reasons for not playing in the 2006 Champs are twofold:
Firstly, I have a lot of games on the go already.
Secondly (and more importantly), the experience of last year has taught me I don't like games with no timebank.
I want quality in the games I play, therefore I have decided I won't play anything at a faster rate than 3/7.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by Northern Lad
My own personal reasons for not playing in the 2006 Champs are twofold:
Firstly, I have a lot of games on the go already.
Secondly (and more importantly), the experience of last year has taught me I don't like games with no timebank.
I want quality in the games I play, therefore I have decided I won't play anything at a faster rate than 3/7.
You surely meant "Secondly (and more importantly), the experience of last year has taught me I don't like games with no timeout."