Next round.

Next round.

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
26 Dec 06

the winner of each section of one tournamant has been known for ten days. There is no reason therefore why the next round could not start. However on this site players have to wait until every game in a round is completed thus dragging out tournaments.

On another site the next round starts as soon as the winners are known. This does not affect the unfinished games which continue. (See Itsyourturn site). Surely not beyond this site to do likewise?

t

my island

Moves
26 Dec 06

Originally posted by jayaitch
the winner of each section of one tournamant has been known for ten days. There is no reason therefore why the next round could not start. However on this site players have to wait until every game in a round is completed thus dragging out tournaments.

On another site the next round starts as soon as the winners are known. This does not affect the u ...[text shortened]... ished games which continue. (See Itsyourturn site). Surely not beyond this site to do likewise?
think they said they're bringing that in.......but that was ages ago so expect it in the next 3-5 years.

M

Dayton, OH

Moves
28 Dec 06

It actually seems quirkier than that - the Remaining in Round and the start of the Next Round seem to take an unnecessarily long time to get updated.

I have been able to get the Next Round started by Sending Feedback, but that seems too manual.

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
28 Dec 06

On another site the next round starts as soon as the winners are known. This does not affect the u ...[text shortened]... ished games which continue. (See Itsyourturn site). Surely not beyond this site to do likewise?
yea like trevor said this is been mentioned before and was something they said they would be looking at,oh well cant complain the site is changing for the better and the admins are doing great.🙂

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by Smiffy
yea like trevor said this is been mentioned before and was something they said they would be looking at,oh well cant complain the site is changing for the better and the admins are doing great.🙂
Its not easy to maintain a site like this.

The subscriptions are fairly nominal (although perhaps not in some countries like the US where their currency is worth nothing anymore) and lots of people play for free.

Just keeping track of people who abuse the site is hard enough. When the round is finished send feedback if the next round doesn't start for a while. It always works.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
01 Jan 07

Originally posted by trevor33
think they said they're bringing that in.......but that was ages ago so expect it in the next 3-5 years.
This would be a great feature to have.

Tournament ID 1190 : July 06 Banded Quartets 3/14 1250-1350

Has all the winners known so the final round could start next week, but there are 2 games remaining that will probably take 2 or 3 months to finish and can't possibly affect the final round of players.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
30 Jan 07
5 edits

Originally posted by spud2048
This would be a great feature to have.

Tournament ID 1190 : July 06 Banded Quartets 3/14 1250-1350

Has all the winners known so the final round could start next week, but there are 2 games remaining that will probably take 2 or 3 months to finish and can't possibly affect the final round of players.
Ok 1 month has passed since my last post.

This tournament 1190 still has 2 games left in the current round.
The games have so far played 26 and 28 moves each.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO WINS THE GAMES, THE RESULTS WILL NOT AFFECT THE PARTICIPENTS IN THE NEXT ROUND.

Why can't the next round start?

Looking at the games they could still go on for months.

In this down time, the participents in the next round are getting further and further away from their original rating for the banded tournament.

This is a 1250-1350 tournament.
One of the next round players is now playing at 1683.

By the time these irrelevent games finish its going to be Winter 2007.

I know the site operators are busy but advancing to the next round when the next round participent are known would be a feature I'm sure everyone would really want.

Isn't it like 10 lines of code to do this?

OK - The code is hard to read because
- All spaces are lost on a new line
- You cant post a message using square brackets or less than or greater than operators 🙁

//********************************************
// Its c++ with simple comments
//********************************************

int advanceToNextRound = true;

// Check each group to see if we know who is advancing
for( int group=0; group (less than) numGroupsActive; group++ )
{
int maxScoreFound = 0;
int maxPotenitalScore = 0;

// Does the max score a player has exceed the max potential
// score anyone else can get?

GROUP *pGroup = &GROUPS{group};
for( int player=0; player (less than) numPlayersInGroup; player++ )
{
if ( pGroup{player}.currentScore (greater than) maxScoreFound )
{
maxScoreFound = pGroup{player}.currentScore;
}
else
{
// If the player does not have the maximum points so
// far, add points for all his unfinished games to his
// current score

int potentialScore = GROUP{player}.currentScore;
for( int i=0; i (less than) numGamesInGroup; i++ )
{
if( GROUP{player}.games{i} == NOT FINISHED )
potentialScore += POINTS_YOU_GET_FOR_A_WIN;
}

// Is this the biggest potential score, including unfinished
// games?
if( potenitalScore (greater than) maxPotentialScore )
MaxPotentialScore = potentialScore;
}
}

// IF THE MAX POTENTIAL POINTS IS GREATER OR EQUAL
// TO THE MAX POINTS A PLAYER HAS SO FAR
// THE ROUND IS NOT FINISHED YET

if( maxPotenitalPoints (less than or equals) maxScoreFound )
{
advanceToNextRound = false;
group = numGroupsActive;
break;
}
}

// Can we advance to the next round?
if( advanceToNextRound )
{
START THE NEXT ROUND!
}

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
30 Jan 07

I thought I had it bad.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
30 Jan 07

Originally posted by Diet Coke
I thought I had it bad.
Hey mate,

Those 10 to 15 lines of code if implemented would save you waiting months to start the next round when the next round of players has been decided.

Tournament 1190 is going to be delayed 6 months waiting for two irrelevent games to finish.

Anyone who knows the bare basics of programming could write it in 30 minutes.

Also I'd had a few vodkas last night, I'd try Diet Coke but I don't mind making mistakes on the borad so much when drinking vodka.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Jan 07

Also I'd had a few vodkas last night, I'd try Diet Coke but I don't mind making mistakes on the borad so much when drinking vodka.
Keyborad and Chessborad? 😉🙄

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
31 Jan 07

You could then end with the unlikely, but possible scenario of the tournament winners being known before all the games in the tournament are finalised. 😲

Tournament 25 is still going - started way back 20 April 2003. Nearly
4 year ago now....

I think that all entrants should finish their games before the next round starts.

Does it really matter if a later round startes on the 1st Fenruary 2007 or the 25 May 2007?

As for ratings moving higher or lower in general most people will remain within the ratings area.

Only the sad people who are desperate to win a tourney and have managed to enter one way below their true ability, or a newcomer whose rating has not yet reached its true potential, should be way outwith the bandings.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by rhb
Keyborad and Chessborad? 😉🙄
I'm trying to emphersize a serious point.

If more people complained about delays in tournament progression the site maintainers would fix this flaw.

I've done that for years 'ar' 'ra', seems to happen all the time when typing fast and I've not even started drinking yet!
Just did it above with 'started', but caught it - thanks.

So seeing as the site mods don't read these threads or decide not to acknowledge this flaw, I'll stray off target because I'm bored waiting for someone to make a move.

What's so special about 15/05/07?

Don't forget we English are the minority on this site.
How about 05/15/07 it's a much clearer way of specifying the date or 15th May 2007!

Also we should drive on the right side of the road, be able to turn left when the lights are on red if the way is clear and we get ripped off with prices on just about everything.

UK
Smirnoff Vodka 1 litre £15
Grey Goose Vodka £30 (in duty free), god knows what in the shops.
Cigs 1 packet £5
Weather crap
Salery ok
Beaches crap
Sport great, expect rugby
Entertainment - Blackpool or is it Manchester now

USA
Smirnoff Vodka 1.75 litre $18 = £10
Grey Goose Vodja $40 = £21, in local store
Cigs 1 packet $3.50 = £1.80
Weather good
Salery 2 to 3 times better, just need a degree to get a work permit
Beaches great
Sport crap, except basketball
Entertainment - Las Vegas

Oh, someones moved.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by adramforall
You could then end with the unlikely, but possible scenario of the tournament winners being known before all the games in the tournament are finalised. 😲

Tournament 25 is still going - started way back 20 April 2003. Nearly
4 year ago now....

I think that all entrants should finish their games before the next round starts.

Does it really m ...[text shortened]... ewcomer whose rating has not yet reached its true potential, should be way outwith the bandings.
You're wrong.

Look at most tournaments in the 1200-1500 banded range.

The people who end up in the final round are usually 300+ points above the max entry level for the competition.

People can easily improve from 1200 to 1600 in a six month period if they study.

Why delay a tournaments progression if the next round members are finalized?

The delay just makes it more likely that the final group will have unbalanced skill levels, because people improve.

Its not fair on the people who have been around the tournaments entry level skill level for years and want to have a chance of winning something against equally matched players.

Also its hard to balance the amount of games you will have active if a tournament lasts a year+, when if it was managed correctly it would be over in 1/3 of the time.

Finally whats wrong with the tournament winners being known before all the games are finished?
Its actually quite likely to happen and not a bad thing.

Why should the next round be delayed 8 months (which is happening in tournament 1190) because two players want to play at a snails pace and the result of their game is irrelevent?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
31 Jan 07

I'm trying to emphersize a serious point.

If more people complained about delays in tournament progression the site maintainers would fix this flaw.

I've done that for years 'ar' 'ra', seems to happen all the time when typing fast and I've not even started drinking yet!
Just did it above with 'started', but caught it - thanks.

So seeing as t ...[text shortened]... Sport crap, except basketball
Entertainment - Las Vegas

Oh, someones moved.
Jeez you must've been bored.

Moves
31 Jan 07

Just chill out and enter some other tournaments. It doesn't take long before you have more games that you can handle anyway.