My Handicapped Tournament

My Handicapped Tournament

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Dec 08
1 edit

i got the idea for this when someone challenged me to a game but knowing i would beat him we put a bet on me winning within 20 moves. i won in 19 but instead of the boring games we usually have and me ending up winning easily it was a really fun and interesting game.

i would like to organize a tournament with the same rules here. of course all games would have to be unrated and it won't be an official tournament but i can guarantee you a few games like you've never had before.

would like a small tournament of about 24 to be started in early jan but haven't decided how i'm going to work the handicaps yet. it will be a dual with 3/7 time controls, tournament entry rating will be used at the start of the tournament and will change as each round progresses to suit your rating. in other words at the start of each round it will be like the start of a new tournament.

the only thing i am not sure about is the handicaps...like should a person with a 300 points advantage win within, 20 moves? 25 moves? 30? this i'm open to discussion, i just want a fair tournament for all.

if you've been set to win within 25 moves and fail to do so you lose the game regardless of the result of the game after the 25 moves (this is why they have to be unrated) other than that it's the same as any rhp dual.

edit: btw both subs and non-subs can play as only 2 games will be playing at any one time.

M

Moves
17 Dec 08

Put me on your list - sounds like fun.

Moves
18 Dec 08

players so far

MissOleum
Diet Coke
trev33

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
18 Dec 08

Sounds like fun. Include me, please.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
19 Dec 08

Players so far:
- MissOleum
- Diet Coke
- trev33
- sbacat
- Aiko

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
19 Dec 08

I'll play

f

Moves
20 Dec 08

Hi, I would like to join as well, thanks.

M

Moves
21 Dec 08

Please add your name to the list:

- MissOleum
- Diet Coke
- trev33
- sbacat
- Aiko
- clandarkfire
- fianchettochess

M

Moves
24 Dec 08
1 edit

Trev, you might need to move this thread to the General Forum, nobody comes in here.

On second thoughts, I've put a couple of links in the GF instead.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
24 Dec 08

Originally posted by trev33
i got the idea for this when someone challenged me to a game but knowing i would beat him we put a bet on me winning within 20 moves. i won in 19 but instead of the boring games we usually have and me ending up winning easily it was a really fun and interesting game.
I would like to play.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
25 Dec 08

I'll give it a go

R

Moves
25 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by MissOleum

- MissOleum
- Diet Coke
- trev33
- sbacat
- Aiko
- clandarkfire
- fianchettochess
Up for that for sure

- MissOleum
- Diet Coke
- trev33
- sbacat
- Aiko
- clandarkfire
- fianchettochess

- Roosty

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Dec 08

Originally posted by trev33

i would like to organize a tournament with the same rules here. of course all games would ...[text shortened]... dit: btw both subs and non-subs can play as only 2 games will be playing at any one time.
Just a thought, trev, on simplifying handicaps. Top RHP Site Player with a rating of 2400+ may win against a 1200

provisional in (12 to) 14 moves. Therefore, consider treating rating differences in units of 200 on a sliding scale...

1200+ opponent rating point difference 14 moves to win!
1000+ ..............................................15 " "
800+.................................................16 " "
600+.................................................17 " "
400+.................................................18 " "
200+.................................................19 " "
100+.................................................20 " "

Less than 100 point difference plays without handicap.

Good luck with your tournament.

-gb

M

Moves
25 Dec 08

Please add your name to the latest list:

- MissOleum
- Diet Coke
- trev33
- sbacat
- Aiko
- clandarkfire
- fianchettochess
- Yuga
- badmoon
- Roosty

Now we're 10. And we're hoping to get to 24.

f

Moves
25 Dec 08

It seems to me that under 20 moves is by far not enough to guarantee checkmate...

Lets say we use Grampy Bobby's guide above:

I am currently rated 1642. If I were to play an 1842 player, I would surely be able to hold on for 19 moves... After 19 moves even if my opponent is up material or has positional advantage, it is unlikely he would be able to CHECKMATE me. This is because the weaker player can just lock up the centre and settle for a quiet drawish position.

Same goes if I play a 1442 player, I highly doubt I'd be able to checkmate him in 19 moves, if he will try to stall the position as long as possible. All he has to do is wrap all his pieces to protect his king, and I will fail.

I think to be reasonable the stronger player should be given at least 30 moves to checkmate the weaker player, even with the greatest of difference margins in ratings.

Thoughts anyone?