@Russ Are we going to have non-sub scum tourneys?

@Russ Are we going to have non-sub scum tourneys?

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 Mar 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I don't think it's unreasonable for tournaments to be a member only feature (excluding a trial 'welcoming' tournament). For any commercial site to survive they need to have incentives to subscribe.
Absolutely correct.Therefor since there are no non sub.tournaments,I will not subscribe.

Australia

Moves
28 Mar 15
1 edit

Originally posted by windmills
Absolutely correct.Therefor since there are no non sub.tournaments,I will not subscribe.
That's somewhat convoluted logic. Called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

w

Moves
28 Mar 15

Originally posted by Kewpie
That's somewhat convoluted logic. Called cutting off your nose to spite your face.
and not allowing non subscribers to play in tournaments unless they become subscribers is akin to black mail

Australia

Moves
28 Mar 15

I go in a shop, and they're offering a cheap item and an expensive item. If I buy the expensive item I expect to get more than if I only pay for the cheap item. It's not blackmail, it's doing business. You get what you pay for. On this site you get a surprising amount just for watching ads, why would you expect to get what the rest of us are paying for, as well?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Mar 15

I love cheese. (Boy, do i love cheese). Often i go to Borough Market where many of the food stalls give free tasters. They do that of course in the hope that i will like the cheese so much that i will decide to buy some.

I do not think i am being black mailed to buy the cheese, and neither do i think they should give me more cheese for free. If i think the cheese is worth paying for, i buy some. If not, i walk away.

Why am i talking about cheese...

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
28 Mar 15

and not allowing non subscribers to play in tournaments unless they become subscribers is akin to black mail
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

w

Moves
28 Mar 15

I love cheese. (Boy, do i love cheese). Often i go to Borough Market where many of the food stalls give free tasters. They do that of course in the hope that i will like the cheese so much that i will decide to buy some.

I do not think i am being black mailed to buy the cheese, and neither do i think they should give me more cheese for free. If i ...[text shortened]... heese is worth paying for, i buy some. If not, i walk away.

I love cheese myself,especially Gouda or Edam.Wonderful stuff!The reason I asked about tournaments is because other sites allow non sub.to play in them,which I do.It's no big deal.I noticed that non subs here are referred to as "scrubs" or "scum".That's not exactly incentive to join is it?Non subs are a very important part of any site.Without them this site would not survive,or any other for that matter.Thanks for answering my question.Good moves.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Mar 15
1 edit

I love cheese myself,especially Gouda or Edam.Wonderful stuff!The reason I asked about tournaments is because other sites allow non sub.to play in them,which I do.It's no big deal.I noticed that non subs here are referred to as "scrubs" or "scum".That's not exactly incentive to join is it?Non subs are a very important part of any site.Without them this site would not survive,or any other for that matter.Thanks for answering my question.Good moves.
You're welcome. There is always wisdom to be found in cheese.

🙂

I agree of course that a site should look after it's guests, even when it restricts their access to site features. On my usual site i have blocked many members for making disparaging remarks about guests, who are unquestionably the life blood of the site.

'One must treat the milk with respect, if one wants to encourage the production of good cheese'

Ghost of a Duke 2015

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
30 Mar 15
4 edits

I do not think i am being black mailed to buy the cheese, and neither do i think they should give me more cheese for free. If i ...[text shortened]... heese is worth paying for, i buy some. If not, i walk away.

Sometimes I eat enough sample cheese that I no longer desire cheese. At least for a short while anyway. Other times I have just a little, then buy more to take home.

If only I could use my experience of procuring cheese help "sell" chess subscriptions. 😉

For the record, non-sub members do contribute to the site in a number ways, and are very much valued.

Those running ad blockers though, not so much. (Grrrr)

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Mar 15

Originally posted by Russ

Those running ad blockers though, not so much. (Grrrr)[/b]
Perhaps they wouldn't block them if the ads were for cheese...