2011 Championship

2011 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Jan 11

New entrants have slowed to a crawl and we're now at a nice round number of 918 or 102 9 man sections. Personally, I'd like to see some bannings first, but if that's not going to happen I say get this puppy started - I've been reducing my game load in anticipation.

Milwaukee, WI

Moves
28 Jan 11

Is there a deadline or cut-off date to enter? If there was or is one listed, those who haven't decided yet whether to enter would do so.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
28 Jan 11

Originally posted by Bebop5
Is there a deadline or cut-off date to enter? If there was or is one listed, those who haven't decided yet whether to enter would do so.
Russ said he wants to get it started by the end of the month.. If you're going to join, I would do it by then~

b

Moves
28 Jan 11

Ok it is the end of month, any clue on start

Moves
29 Jan 11

In case you haven't noticed, the 2011 Championship has been posted and currently has over 900 players.

b

Moves
29 Jan 11

Yes I have noticed

a
cubs in 09!

Moves
29 Jan 11

Ok when is the tourney going to start??????? It is about to be feb and not even saying closed yet.

D

Moves
30 Jan 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
New entrants have slowed to a crawl and we're now at a nice round number of 918 or 102 9 man sections. Personally, I'd like to see some bannings first, but if that's not going to happen I say get this puppy started - I've been reducing my game load in anticipation.
Question:
Why would an active 30 year-old Norwegian GM commit to the Championship, which lasts a full year and has 18 games for the duration, when he must have several week long big money OTB events in that time period which require his full attention?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
30 Jan 11

Originally posted by DanTriola
Question:
Why would an active 30 year-old Norwegian GM commit to the Championship, which lasts a full year and has 18 games for the duration, when he must have several week long big money OTB events in that time period which require his full attention?
Maybe he has a doppelgänger 😛

D

Moves
30 Jan 11

Originally posted by adramforall
Maybe he has a doppelgänger 😛
That is a logical deduction.
Hopefully made by the PTB, as well.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
31 Jan 11

Originally posted by DanTriola
Question:
Was that a hypothetical question or do you really require an answer ??

skeeter

D

Moves
31 Jan 11

Really do.
It happened, so is not hypothetical.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
31 Jan 11

Jesus wept.

skeets

D

Moves
31 Jan 11

Let's leave religion out of it.
You seem to be deflecting my question.
The fact is, this person, GMNorblackheart, has stated that he is Kjetil Lie, Norwegian GM. I seriously wonder why an active GM, who's income is increased considerably by playing, and placing, in international events which require a time-consuming regimen of preparation and then a week of play, (at the least), would enter an event that lasts a full year and involves him in 18 games every round. And which has no monetary reward, thus taking away time that he can use to earn a living. Now that the Soviets no longer subsidize their chessplayers, it is hard to earn a living in any country by being a professional player. Some have to remain in other lines of work, to the detriment of their chess. (See: Joel Benjamin and Reuben Fine) Many take up writing on chess to maintain a steady income. Many teach, as private tutors. But, why spend that much time on RHP? Why would they care to win the RHP Championship? Would not, if it were that easy to play here on the championship, they feel as if they were being unfair to amateur players?
I would.
Do you see my point now?

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
31 Jan 11

No, but you've certainly answered your own question.

skeets