1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 11:321 edit
    IMO - These winter Olympics were generally pretty good. Tough competition, some surprise winners, and unexpected snowfall in an area that traditionally doesn't get much. The only low points were from 2 drama queens and the American networks pandering to them.

America's Mikiela Shiffrin misses gate, gets eliminated, cries a river of tears on the sidelines, holding up the competition.

Russia's Kamila Valieva gets caught doping, under preforms, and cries a river of tears back to Russia.

These 2 princesses came into the games with inflated senses of entitlement, and when things didn't go their way, they acted like spoiled children, deprived of a favorite toy. Worse yet, was that the networks insisted on burning through endless airtime on these 2 drama queens at the expense of other events, complete with nonstop chatter about them from the talking heads in the studios. It's time for these 2 little darlings to grow up and accept the fact that the Olympics don't owe you any medals, that the other athletes worked just as hard to win and behaved better than you when they lost.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 14:53
    @mchill said
    IMO - These winter Olympics were generally pretty good. Tough competition, some surprise winners, and unexpected snowfall in an area that traditionally doesn't get much. The only low points were from 2 drama queens and the American networks pandering to them.

America's Mikiela Shiffrin misses gate, gets eliminated, cries a river of tears on the sidelines, holding up the com ...[text shortened]... dals, that the other athletes worked just as hard to win and behaved better than you when they lost.
    I agree with your comments about the coverage.
    This is what the media does everywhere not just in sport -dramatises everything.
    I really don't know why the media think we want to see a crying mother after her child has been run over or something for example.
    I hate it.
    I can understand to some extent the reaction of the young girls though.
    I just don't see why we need to see it
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 22:12
    @mchill said

America's Mikiela Shiffrin misses gate, gets eliminated, cries a river of tears on the sidelines, holding up the com ...[text shortened]... dals, that the other athletes worked just as hard to win and behaved better than you when they lost.
    Your comments about the coverage are accurate.

But Valieva "acted like spoiled children"??? She literally is a child, and it appears she is being abused by her trainers. I don't know how anyone can feel anything but sorry for her.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Feb '22 15:302 edits
    @mchill said

Drama is the whole appeal of sports. This is why sport rivalries stir up emotion and get so much coverage. The emotion of sports, as well as the action, has been a part of the experience for ages.

From the fights that erupt in football (soccer) stadiums, to hatred of Yankees from Red Sox fans, the Bird/Magic rivalry, etc., drama has always been a part of sports.

But the Olympics aren't mere sporting events, they're patriotic rallying cries with the pride of the nation on the line. It's absolutely stupid and absurd, but true nonetheless. This goes back at least as far as Jesse Owens beating white athletes in front of Hitler.

The drama that comes from human emotion is what drives sports.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Feb '22 09:43
    @vivify said
    Drama is the whole appeal of sports. This is why sport rivalries stir up emotion and get so much coverage. The emotion of sports, as well as the action, has been a part of the experience for ages.

From the fights that erupt in football (soccer) stadiums, to hatred of Yankees from Red Sox fans, the Bird/Magic rivalry, etc., drama has always been a part of sports.

But ...[text shortened]... white athletes in front of Hitler.

The drama that comes from human emotion is what drives sports.
    I don't think you can compare the Olympics with football/baseball or any professional sport.A major factor in what drives professional sport is financial.
    Winning generates financial rewards,which is why there is so much cheating.
    Unfortunately, when so called "professional" footballers are falling over and rolling about in an attempt to gain some advantage it filters down to the kids playing with their mates in the park who emulate their heroes.
    Sad but true
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Feb '22 16:11
    @venda said
    I don't think you can compare the Olympics with football/baseball or any professional sport.A major factor in what drives professional sport is financial.
    Winning generates financial rewards,which is why there is so much cheating.
    It's the exact same for the Olympics.

Doping or cheating scandals are not uncommon in the Olympics. And the reason why Olympic "drama" gets so much coverage is because it generates ratings, which in turn generates revenue.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '22 03:24
    @wildgrass said
    Your comments about the coverage are accurate.

But Valieva "acted like spoiled children"??? She literally is a child, and it appears she is being abused by her trainers. I don't know how anyone can feel anything but sorry for her.
    She is a cheater and got caught. I literally can not understand why anyone would have sympathy for her.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    26 Feb '22 16:25
    @quackquack said
    She is a cheater and got caught. I literally can not understand why anyone would have sympathy for her.
    Don't all these athletes have coaches and dietitians?
    I'm not familiar with this particular case but presumably they are told what they can and cannot take.
    If she was simply not told what she couldn't take can it be wholly her fault?
    If she took something against advice then that is something different

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree