Reds Win the World Series thread

Reds Win the World Series thread

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
29 Apr 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
REDS WIN!

Great defensive play by BP in the 9th. Three series wins in a row.

Is that a freight train or the Cincinnati Reds?
Freight train???

They worked their asses off to win 2 of 3 from the team that had the worst record in
baseball last season.

I am telling you, the Reds are in trouble....big trouble.
They have a bunch more meshing to do before they are a powerhouse.

w

Moves
30 Apr 12
4 edits

His 2-8 record with a 5.36 ERA last year might have had something to do with him not "breaking camp" for the DisAstros. To be fair, he did pitch a decent game against the Reds last August 3 (7IP, 3 ER) to get his first major league win after 6 losses. But that's the most you can expect this time and it won't be good enough against Latos now that he's pit 5/.198/.216

Maybe you'll get a run ........................................
One thing that concerns me about Latos is that he is a fly ball pitcher. That's great unless the ball park in which you pitch is only 90 feet from home plate to the bleechers!! Why they tore down Riverfront and built a home run ball park is beyond comprehension. In fact, a couple that left the yard today would have been easy outs in San Diego where he came from. I guess on the upside is that he throws stikes, but I am never comfortable with him in there, especially against good offensive ball clubs at home.

For this club to contend you need Chapman to start I think and do well enough to be a #1 or 2 starter. Of course, that was nixed when they lost their closer at the beginning of the year.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Apr 12

Originally posted by whodey
One thing that concerns me about Latos is that he is a fly ball pitcher. That's great unless the ball park in which you pitch is only 90 feet from home plate to the bleechers!! Why they tore down Riverfront and built a home run ball park is beyond comprehension. In fact, a couple that left the yard today would have been easy outs in San Diego where he came ...[text shortened]... 2 starter. Of course, that was nixed when they lost their closer at the beginning of the year.
Latos in his career has a much higher ERA in April then other months. I thought they gave away too much for him, but he should be a solid #2 behind Cueto who is rapidly becoming one of the best starters in the league.

I think Chapman will be in the rotation before too long. The bullpen is kinda decimated with both Masset and Bray out but Ondrusek has been pitching great, Arredondo generally looks good and Marshall has closed well except for the hiccup against SF.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Apr 12

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Freight train???

They worked their asses off to win 2 of 3 from the team that had the worst record in
baseball last season.

I am telling you, the Reds are in trouble....big trouble.
They have a bunch more meshing to do before they are a powerhouse.
Working is a good thing early in the season. They are starting to hit, the bullpen has been generally good and 3 of the 5 starters are sub 4.00 ERA. I like what I'm seeing; 7-3 over the last 10.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 May 12

Joey Votto walk off grand slam with the Reds down 6-5 with two outs in the 9th!

w

Moves
14 May 12

Joey Votto walk off grand slam with the Reds down 6-5 with two outs in the 9th!
I went to yesterdays game! Although the Redlegs lost it was a playoff atmosphere and was enjoyable. In addition, I got to see Chapman pitch, which was a delight.

I guess I can settle for a second place team. At least they are competing better than they have of late for the last two decades. Comparing the Nationals and the Reds, however, the Nationals blow away the Reds starting pitching.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 May 12

I went to yesterdays game! Although the Redlegs lost it was a playoff atmosphere and was enjoyable. In addition, I got to see Chapman pitch, which was a delight.

I guess I can settle for a second place team. At least they are competing better than they have of late for the last two decades. Comparing the Nationals and the Reds, however, the Nationals blow away the Reds starting pitching.
We were a second place team much of 2010, but grabbed the ring from the Cardinals by September. I think this year we'll take control of the division much earlier.

The Nats have good starters though some have had injury problems and some are pitching over their heads so far but their lineup and bullpen don't compare to ours. Our starters are coming around (except Leake); Cueto is one of the best in the league and Latos has pitched well his last few.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
14 May 12

We were a second place team much of 2010, but grabbed the ring from the Cardinals by September. I think this year we'll take control of the division much earlier.

The Nats have good starters though some have had injury problems and some are pitching over their heads so far but their lineup and bullpen don't compare to ours. Our starters ar ...[text shortened]... except Leake); Cueto is one of the best in the league and Latos has pitched well his last few.
"We"? 😛

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
14 May 12

The Nats have good starters though some have had injury problems and some are pitching over their heads so far but their lineup and bullpen don't compare to ours. Our starters ar ...[text shortened]... except Leake); Cueto is one of the best in the league and Latos has pitched well his last few.
The Cards have better pitching, barring injury, than the Reds do.
Their hitting compares quite favorably when Berkman and Beltran are both healthy.
I don't think the Nationals should be your concern just yet.

Leake looks like a demotion waiting to happen.
Cueto looks very good. Latos and Arroyo are serviceable.
I just don't see that staff holding up over the long haul.
Your bullpen looks fine at this point and your hitting looks formidable, but streaky.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 May 12

The Cards have better pitching, barring injury, than the Reds do.
Their hitting compares quite favorably when Berkman and Beltran are both healthy.
I don't think the Nationals should be your concern just yet.

Leake looks like a demotion waiting to happen.
Cueto looks very good. Latos and Arroyo are serviceable.
I just don't see that staff holding ...[text shortened]... g haul.
Your bullpen looks fine at this point and your hitting looks formidable, but streaky.
The Cardinals are hitting over their heads; virtually everybody on the squad is outperforming their lifetime numbers. They'll cool off.

Leake was 8-4 in 2010 and 12-9 in 2011 with an ERA around 4.00. He is certainly struggling so far this year, but in general has been a decent back of the rotation guy. He's only 24 years old and never pitched in the minors. I think he'll be fine. The expectation is Latos will be a front of the line starter. As already pointed out, he has a history of struggling in April.

A lot of things have broke right for the Cards and a a lot have broken bad for the Reds, but it's mid-May and we're only 2.5 back. That doesn't bode well for them.

w

Moves
15 May 12

For the record, Votto just made the Hall of Fame in his young career. I suppose it was just a matter of time. He made the Hall after hitting three home runs in a game and then ending the game with a game winning grande slam. No one has ever done it in MLB till now. The funny part is that he was pissed to lose his bat to the Hall. Apparently, it was like a son to him.

One thing is for sure and that the Reds have the best hitter in Votto in all the national league and maybe the AL as well.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
15 May 12

For the record, Votto just made the Hall of Fame in his young career. I suppose it was just a matter of time. He made the Hall after hitting three home runs in a game and then ending the game with a game winning grande slam. No one has ever done it in MLB till now. The funny part is that he was pissed to lose his bat to the Hall. Apparently, it was like ...[text shortened]... that the Reds have the best hitter in Votto in all the national league and maybe the AL as well.
No, the best hitters right now in the game are in Los Angeles and in Arlington.

BTW, Josh Hamiliton, my choice for best hitter, had a game last week where he
hit 4 home runs and a double, the 11th in history to do that, with the 2nd highest
total in total bases in a game in history.

There were two walk off grand slams yesterday, for the record.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
15 May 12

hit 4 home runs and a double, the 11th in history to do that, with the 2nd highest

GO DODGERS

Or is it the Angels you're talking about?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
GO DODGERS

Or is it the Angels you're talking about?
Mr Kemp is who I am referring to....Dodgers.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 May 12
1 edit

Slash numbers lifetime: Votto .313/.408/.552

Hamilton: .313/.371/.560
Kemp .296/.354/.505

Kemp's not close. Votto is much better at getting on base than Hamilton and the difference in slugging is negligible. And Hamilton will be 31 next week and has his "problems" while Votto won't be 29 until the season is almost over and is squeaky clean.

The best hitter in baseball will be playing 1st Base for the Cincinnati Reds for the next decade or so.