College football once stop thread!!

College football once stop thread!!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q

Moves
20 Sep 10

Originally posted by Eladar
Regular season meaningless? It is already meaningless. If OU isn't one of the top teams, then I could give a flip. As a matter of fact, I'm only concerned if OU wins or not. Of course my OU is the Sooners.

I could give a rat's but what happens in any other conference, other than a big name school getting beat. I don't think anyone else really cares ei ...[text shortened]... o stop drinking the Kool aid being given to you by people who are making money off the BCS.
I like conference championships too. I think that a tournament at the end of the year would render them meaningless.

The way the system is now each week matters. If Boise lost in week one, it could ruin their shot at a championship. If we have a 16 game playoff, the game does not even matter and I would not watch. You are an OU fan, what is the point of beating Texas if you both make a playoff anyway. i don't want to see a regular season where the best teams rest players like they do in the NFL once they have clinched playoffs births.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
20 Sep 10

Originally posted by quackquack
I like conference championships too. I think that a tournament at the end of the year would render them meaningless.

The way the system is now each week matters. If Boise lost in week one, it could ruin their shot at a championship. If we have a 16 game playoff, the game does not even matter and I would not watch. You are an OU fan, what is ...[text shortened]... re the best teams rest players like they do in the NFL once they have clinched playoffs births.
But, if the 2 or 3 best teams in the country came from the same conference, you would rather see them penalized and sitting on the sideline in favor of some weaker teams who played softer schedules, but ran the table?

Why not have the best teams play rather than the teams who perceive themselves as worthy?

E

Moves
21 Sep 10

I think you are in the minority. Many coaches have contract bonuses for winning conference championships. Most fans (except Texas fans) believe that conference championships bring with them bragging rights with rival schools.

Seeing as Conference Champions would get a seeding boost, the game would be important for both Conference and true National Champion.

q

Moves
21 Sep 10

Originally posted by shortcircuit
But, if the 2 or 3 best teams in the country came from the same conference, you would rather see them penalized and sitting on the sideline in favor of some weaker teams who played softer schedules, but ran the table?

Why not have the best teams play rather than the teams who perceive themselves as worthy?
I absolutely would not want weaker teams who run the table playing for a National Championship.

But, if two teams play in the same conference (say Florida and Alabama or Oklahoma and Texas or when Michigan was good Michigan and Ohio State), then they have already played, they do not necessarily need to play again in a playoff. The game occurred. I'd probably put a one loss Ohio State or Big 12 or SEC team ahead of an undefeated team with a weker schedule (TCU).

q

Moves
21 Sep 10

[b]I like conference championships too. I think that a tournament at the end of the year would render them meaningless.

I think you are in the minority. Many coaches have contract bonuses for winning conference championships. Most fans (except Texas fans) believe that conference championships bring with them bragging rights with rival schools.

...[text shortened]... get a seeding boost, the game would be important for both Conference and true National Champion.[/b]
I apparently am in the minority of fans believing that a playoff system would greatly diminish college football. I want teams to want/ need to win every single game not rest players for the playoffs. Here are examples from other sports where the playoffs hurts the regular season.

(1) As a Yankee fan it is sad to me that a potentionally great AL East race with Tampa is meaningless because both teams are 99+% likely to make the playoffs. It ruins a great September and a great last month of the season.
(2) In college basketball there are coach who are glad their team loses in the regular season becuase it takes the pressure off or is a good learning experience.

With a 16 game playoff, Ohio State/ Texas/Alabama/Oregon do not really care if they lose in the second to last week because only the playoffs count. Its a sacrifice I'd be against making.

Just for the record, coaches actually rather keep the current system because half of the bowl teams win rather than just one team.

E

Moves
21 Sep 10

Football conference play is too close and competition too stiff to rest players. Even under this system OU could have take a game off if they wanted to. OU was the most dominant team all year, but lost to K State in the Big XII championship game, but still played for the MNC.

College teams will not rest people if we go to a play off system.

q

Moves
21 Sep 10

Football conference play is too close and competition too stiff to rest players. Even under this system OU could have take a game off if they wanted to. OU was the most dominant team all year, but lost to K State in the Big XII championship game, but still played for the MNC.

College teams will not rest people if we go to a play off system.
The consequences of losing games is far greater now than it would be if there were a playoff system.

E

Moves
21 Sep 10

Originally posted by quackquack
The consequences of losing games is far greater now than it would be if there were a playoff system.
Which is why it is better to line up a bunch of cream puffs for your out of conference schedule. I'd rather not reward cream puff schedules.

q

Moves
21 Sep 10

Which is why it is better to line up a bunch of cream puffs for your out of conference schedule. I'd rather not reward cream puff schedules.
A playoff system will not improve scheduling. In fact i think it would encourage teams and conference that are presumed to be good to not play tougher teams for fear that they might actually not be as good as we though.
I think right now we should emphasize who you play more.

E

Moves
22 Sep 10

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not holding my breath until we get a play off system. There's too much money going into the pockets of those who make the decisions to make such a change possible.

w

Moves
24 Sep 10

I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamed that Indiana had beaten Ohio State!! All the anouncers on ESPN were laughing at us. I woke up in a cold sweat. 😲

w

Moves
24 Sep 10
1 edit

Has anyone heard that the macott for OSU, Buckeye Brutus, was attacked by the mascott from Ohio Universitiy last week on the field? Apparently, the mascott from Ohio University was not even a student. He has subsequently been banned from all college football events. I have not heard but I don't believe Brutus sustained any serious injury. The mascott said he had been planning the attack for about a year or so.

I just saw a cartoon with Buckeye Brutus trying to finger the mascott from vaious teams in a police line up. Hilarious!! 😛

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
24 Sep 10

Originally posted by whodey
Is everyone ready? As for myself, I can hardly wait.

So how about it? What are your picks for the year? Of course, we can all begin by agreeing that the SEC is the most pathetic conference in all of college football. In fact, they play like a bunch of school girls, but I think that is only common sense. The only reason that they have won a national title every year for the last 100 years is that they are all a bunch of cheaters!! 😛
Im not a sports fan for any college sports.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
24 Sep 10

Originally posted by whodey
I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamed that Indiana had beaten Ohio State!! All the anouncers on ESPN were laughing at us. I woke up in a cold sweat. 😲
It wasn't a dream!! 😛

w

Moves
25 Sep 10

Originally posted by shortcircuit
It wasn't a dream!! 😛
With all this negative feedback here at RHP it is no wonder why I have such nightmares. ðŸ˜