Biggest botched call of the season

Biggest botched call of the season

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
That isn't the angle I'm talking about. That is the crappiest angle in the entire video. That is why I wanted you to skip to 1:15 and watch until about 1:25
I've watched it. Jennings jumps higher than Tate and has the ball in his two hands just like the commentator says. He then brings it to his chest. That is not a "simultaneous catch".

Seattle got a gift. Their defense played very well but your offense is pathetic.

s

Moves
26 Sep 12

I don't think so. We're sitting here in our cushy chairs watching super slow mo replays in high definition.

In real speed it would be impossible to tell. You see both go up then you see them come down together and then you walk up to them and see that they both have the ball... you have to go with what you see and that was both players battling for the ...[text shortened]... egular refs could easily have made the same call. Either way somebodies gonna be pissed off.
Completely irrelevant since they had the benefit of the same replays we saw. Real time? One ref called touchback, the other TD. Sounds/looks rather schizophrenic to me! Jennings jumps higher, has both arms on the ball and comes down with it. Tate had one hand on it and did not get the other on until they're both on the ground. NO SIMULTANEOUS CATCH! Moreover, they never announced exactly what was being reviewed. Ineptitude at its worst. Hawks stole one with help of incompetent refs. Reality is these refs are no better than any of us armchair QB's, miss/botch all sorts of things and evidence horrible game management. Even HS refs are better!

w

Moves
26 Sep 12

I have to admit, being a Bungles fan I stopped watching the NFL, but now I'm considering watching again just for laughs. These guys are hilarious!!!

t

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Completely irrelevant since they had the benefit of the same replays we saw. Real time? One ref called touchback, the other TD. Sounds/looks rather schizophrenic to me! Jennings jumps higher, has both arms on the ball and comes down with it. Tate had one hand on it and did not get the other on until they're both on the ground. NO SIMULTANEOUS CATCH! Mor ...[text shortened]... miss/botch all sorts of things and evidence horrible game management. Even HS refs are better!
Actually Tate has both hands on the ball with both feet down before Jennings gets both feet down.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
26 Sep 12

Actually Tate has both hands on the ball with both feet down before Jennings gets both feet down.
It looks like the only person that sees it the same way as you is....you.
Seahawks fan who wants to justify a tainted win. Sorry, but GB was jobbed!!

s

Moves
26 Sep 12

Not true. Jenning's tush hits the turf first. Play over, INT! GB was shamefully robbed and no fair minded fan would ever say otherwise. I am a Cowboys supporter, not a GB supporter. I had no dog in this fight. However, I am also the first one to concede when a W is notched on the prevailing team's win column assuming the W is won fair and square. This is a W* and forever tainted. Seahawks' fans, players, coaches should be embarrassed to have celebrated such a travesty. All of America is hugely embarrassed for a team sport that brings so much enjoyment to our country and now made the laughingstock of sports.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
26 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
It looks like the only person that sees it the same way as you is....you.
Seahawks fan who wants to justify a tainted win. Sorry, but GB was jobbed!!
I watched the game and the play in question over and over, and I agree with INT. Seahawks got a huge break from the foot-locker refs.

My team has to play Arizona this week in their house. They're on fire! 😞

g

Moves
26 Sep 12

This call was not the worst call I have ever seen. In the 1977 season AFC Championship the Raiders were shafted out of a Super Bowl appearence. In 1982 the SMU wr pushed the Arkansas db in the back. The Hog player was flagged for defensive pass interference.

t

Moves
26 Sep 12
2 edits

Not true. Jenning's tush hits the turf first. Play over, INT! GB was shamefully robbed and no fair minded fan would ever say otherwise. I am a Cowboys supporter, not a GB supporter. I had no dog in this fight. However, I am also the first one to concede when a W is notched on the prevailing team's win column assuming the W is won fair and square. This i sport that brings so much enjoyment to our country and now made the laughingstock of sports.
It is true. How is Jennings on the ground first when he lands on top of Tate? Are you an idiot?

My point isn't that it is an indisputable catch by Tate my point is that you try making that call. It doesn't matter that they could review it because once the call is made on the field you would need to see that Tate never even touched the ball to overturn it.

My bigger point was that the whole game was bad call after bad call and the Hawks were penalized 14 times to the Packs 10 times. The bogus penalties on the Hawks led to 9 GB points and even stopped the Hawks from getting anything going in the second half... then when you watch the tape you see GB holding play after play after play on offense and nothing is getting called.

I agree that the refs are rediculous but both teams had to put up with the same refs and in the end the team that looked better won. Would they have won with the regular refs? Who knows? But both teams got jobbed because now it is a tainted win because nobody wants to look any further back than the last play... the last impression and the fact that it went against GB further ignites the issue.

Edit: Most of you don't even realize that if you had to look at it over and over and over again with the camera on zoom and in slow motion just to be sure. What do you think the refs could do when they had to see it from a distance in live speed?

s

Moves
26 Sep 12

It is true. How is Jennings on the ground first when he lands on top of Tate? Are you an idiot?

My point isn't that it is an indisputable catch by Tate my point is that you try making that call. It doesn't matter that they could review it because once the call is made on the field you would need to see that Tate never even touched the ball to overturn i ...[text shortened]... e. What do you think the refs could do when they had to see it from a distance in live speed?
Please refrain from calling me an idiot. 99% of America are idiots then. Find me one non-partisan sportscaster/writer who sees it your way. Even WSJ calls it an INT. As stated before only partisans would see this play as a TD. Remember two refs called it differently. You happen to pick the partisan result. Therefore you are intellectually dishonest and simply like the outcome. Again nobody but blinded Hawks fans are calling this a TD and inept/incompetent refs. IN the first place not announcing what exactly was being reviewed is suspicious. Your view of simultaneous catch presumes both got their hands on the ball at the same time. Jennings had both hands on the ball and clutched it to his chest tightly. ONly then does Tate's one hand come in. End of story! INT! Jennings butt then touches ground on way down and only then does Tate's other hand sneak in.

Your point about slo-mo is absurd. Review process had the same views everyone had. Irrelevant point on your part because there were conflicting calls. Which was reviewed? Why was a final call not announced and only a review called? You are excusing a correctable mistake they failed to correct with the benefit of slo-mo and varying angles. Whether it was against GB or any other team is of no relevance as a team's popularity should have no bearing on a call. Outrage is over the enormous travesty and unfairness. Had it been in reverse and call against Seahwks I would have been equally outraged. Now consider this. Switch helmets for Jennings and give him a Hawk's one. No one would have argued that was a TD. Therefore it was an INT!

t

Moves
26 Sep 12
6 edits

t

Moves
26 Sep 12
2 edits

Please refrain from calling me an idiot. 99% of America are idiots then. Find me one non-partisan sportscaster/writer who sees it your way. Even WSJ calls it an INT. As stated before only partisans would see this play as a TD. Remember two refs called it differently. You happen to pick the partisan result. Therefore you are intellectually dishonest and and give him a Hawk's one. No one would have argued that was a TD. Therefore it was an INT!
1) Didn't call you an idiot. Please don't misrepresent my post.

2) Didn't write it wasn't an INT. What I wrote was that Tate gets both hands on it with both feet down before jennings gets both feet down. I have watched the video literally 1000 times in super slow motion and find this to be undeniable fact. That doesn't mean it wasn't an INT. Please don't misrepresent my post.

3) Tates one hand was there a split second after Jennings gets both hands on the ball. If you watch it in super slomo it actually appears that the ball is slipping through jennings hands only to be stopped by Tate's hand (You can't tell exactly where Tates hand is but it appears to come in between Jennings palm and the ball.) Maybe jennings drops it if tate isn't there? Who knows but one hand doesn't really make possession anyway. The problem is that from a distance at speed it looks like Tate gets it with two hands even though one of those hands is on Jennings wrist.

6) If Jennings was a Seahawk and Tate was a Packer it would be irrelevent because tie goes to the reciever and it isn't a question if Jennings had possession. The question is whether or not tate had simultaneous possession.

5) You really need to rewatch it because events go nothing like you say they do.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
27 Sep 12
1 edit

It's not worth arguing anymore. Nobody but the most homer Seahawk fan disputes the call was blown. I haven't heard a single football commentator claim otherwise. But the Seahawks got the call and the win. Case closed. Their offense will have to play considerably better if they hope to make the playoffs, however (as I said, the defense was quite impressive though they tend to play much better at home). They have two winnable road games coming up in St. Louis and Carolina; we'll see how they do before they get New England at home and San Fran on the road.

The good news is that reports are that the NFL and the real refs are close to a deal and that they might even be back in time for Sunday's games. Let's fervently hope that this is the case.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
27 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by SmookieP
I watched the game and the play in question over and over, and I agree with INT. Seahawks got a huge break from the foot-locker refs.

My team has to play Arizona this week in their house. They're on fire! 😞
I like the Dolphins chances to pull an upset. Their defense has played very well esp. against the run and Arizona can't run the ball. I really don't see Kevin Kolb lighting Miami's D up and think it will be a close, low scoring game. If the Fish can win the turnover battle, I think they can win in the desert.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
27 Sep 12
1 edit

I just watched the super slow mo. There is no doubt in my mind that it an INT. While perhaps Tate initially has his right hand on the ball at roughly the same times Jennings does, Tate's right hand comes off the ball while Jennings clearly has both hands on it and control of it. It looked like an INT live, it looked like an INT in slow-mo and super slow mo removes any doubt. Seattle got a break. Look, bad calls happen. The Yankees got screwed out of a HUGE pennant race game on a call that was just as bad a few weeks ago.

(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qroed6afWhQ/UEx7OJ6zEFI/AAAAAAAAQjg/4cfZ2yQ9P-4/s1600/jerry%2Bmeals%2BMark%2BTeixeira.jpg)

Now the Packers have to bounce back. nobody's going to feel sorry for them. Bad calls happen.

But who can doubt that the call itself was wrong?