Beckham to  LA

Beckham to LA

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
18 Jan 07

Originally posted by dottewell
In a vital game - v Greece 2001 - Beckham ran the match from start to finish, as well as scoring the crucial goal. He was simply on a different level to everyone else on the pitch.
Yes. But there's a reason everyone mentions that game. It was the only one.

(They also tend to forget quite how many free kicks attempts he had before that crucial last minute goal!)

m

Moves
18 Jan 07

I'm not the world's biggest Beckham fan, but he seems to be criticised for what he couldn't do rather than praised for what he could. And what he could do was sometimes the difference between England winning (or drawing...) and England losing.
I don't particularly want to criticise him for what he's not good at. It's not his fault! But it is relevant to a discussion of whether he was "clearly England's best player for 5 years", which is what I was taking issue with.

d

Moves
18 Jan 07

Originally posted by mtthw
I don't particularly want to criticise him for what he's not good at. It's not his fault! But it is relevant to a discussion of whether he was "clearly England's best player for 5 years", which is what I was taking issue with.
Fair point. I'm not sure we've had a best player over the past five years. A lot of great players at club level (Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, etc.) mysteriously failing to repeat that form at international level.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
18 Jan 07

I'm not sure we've had a best player over the past five years.
David James!

w

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by Red Night
The US doesn't have any players who are the equals of Ronaldinho, Zidane, or Maldini. Neither does England.

2 of those three won't play in the next world cup.

The US's best player is probably McBride, but by the next world cup it may be Convey.

Sir Alex Ferguson has called Freddie Adu the best young player in the world.

World Class? Howard, Hahnemann, and Keller.
Those 3 keepers- world class?! I don't think so somehow. All good keepers (which the US do produce a lot of) but not World Class. None of them are in the top keepers in the world, and there are probably 10 keepers in the premiership alone who are better than them.

Freddie Adu is overhyped, from what I hear he hasn't improved much from when he was younger, but because he isn't playing for a big club where his quality can be properly assessed, he is lauded by everyone. Ferguson is probably just trying to butter him up so he doesn't move to Chelsea when he is available to move. Whoever gets him, its more to build up the clubs rep. in the US rather than to really gain a superstar. Its a more cynical marketing strategy than the Beckham to Galaxy move.

As for Beckhams move, of course he will be the best player in the league. The guy has bags of talent, and Real fans believe he was one of their best players during the time he was there. Like Owen, he always tried his best, and usually performed, but just wasn't in favour. Especially now Real are wanting a right midfielder who can beat opposing players, which Beckham doesn't do.

McBride the US best player- I'd probably agree, but he is a good player for an average team. He is their best player, but not world class, QED.

Englands world class players- Owen (when fit), Gerrard, Terry, possibly Joe Cole. They also have a large number of players who are very close to world class (A. Cole, Rooney, G Neville, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Lampard and more).

Paul Scholes was, and still is, a brilliant player, certainly world class at his peak. When Zidane (i think it was) was asked how it felt to be considered the best player in the world some years back, he replied 'I'm not, Paul Scholes is.' Which I think says it all really.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by welsharnie
Those 3 keepers- world class?! I don't think so somehow. All good keepers (which the US do produce a lot of) but not World Class. None of them are in the top keepers in the world, and there are probably 10 keepers in the premiership alone who are better than them.

Freddie Adu is overhyped, from what I hear he hasn't improved much from when he was young ...[text shortened]... e years back, he replied 'I'm not, Paul Scholes is.' Which I think says it all really.
Adu has not lived up to the hype, but he is still only 17.

He just got traded from DC United to Real Salt Lake. Maybe he'll make more of a splash there.

Regarding the keepers: I guess it depends how you define World Class.
At one time, Keller was the top-rated keeper in the premiership.

And they say Hannehman is better!!