1. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 00:34
    Originally posted by blade68
    I can't understand Beckham's decision to go to the US.... not when our Neil was willing to take him on loan for a month.... he'd have looked good in red and white stripes!
    Did you offer him $250 million along with the red and white stripes?
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 01:56
    Originally posted by Delmer
    Did you offer him $250 million along with the red and white stripes?
    Allegedly, we offered him free rent on a 2 bedroomed, 7th floor council flat on the edge of town and unlimited mileage on a 1982 Datsun Sunny - I think the blokes just greedy!
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 03:012 edits
    I only watch the World Cup. Does this guy still have it? If so, for how long?

Never mind...just read Red Night's -

"It's a great move for Becks. Lets face it, he's on the downside of his carreer. As long as he can stay healthy, he'll be a superstar in the US. (He probably won't be the best player in the league, but he will become the icon for the sport in the US.) Tons of commerical endorsements, movie deals"

Hey, the new Neil Young CD - Neil Young with Crazy Horse Live at The Filmore East 1970 goes well with fun chess, and cold beer.
  4. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 03:39
    In the trade of Madonna for Beckham and Posh, I think England got hosed. I'll take the over paid sports star from a sport I don't watch and a former pop princess for Madonna anyday.

Can't wait to see his face on every billboard, magazine and TV in America. Its going to be like the Beatles again.

I read his endorsements were $20 million a year. I suspect his endorsements are worth more then that. At least here. We pay huge scratch for endorsements from names like Beckham. Come to think of it, not only did England get hosed, so did Beckham.
  5. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 03:50
    If England would like to make any more trades, I am offering Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, that Kate whatever wife of his and Barbara Striesand for Prince William. No? How about if I throw in Rosie O'donell and Donald Trump? Oh well, didn't hurt to try I guess.
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 10:16
    Originally posted by Merk
    If England would like to make any more trades, I am offering Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, that Kate whatever wife of his and Barbara Striesand for Prince William. No? How about if I throw in Rosie O'donell and Donald Trump? Oh well, didn't hurt to try I guess.
    Tell you what.... we'll swap you Hawaii for the Isle of Wight?
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 14:39
    Honestly, I don't even know if where I live - Arizona - even has a team. How's this supposed to work?
  8. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 16:20
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Honestly, I don't even know if where I live - Arizona - even has a team. How's this supposed to work?
    In terms of putting soccer on the front page of American sports pages, I don't think it will work. Seems like we tried it with Pele years ago. But in terms of putting soccer on the front page of American celebrity gossip pages, it is already working. Is it worth $250 million? I don't know. If I knew anything about money I wouldn't be spending my weekends playing internet chess and posting in forums. I'd be ... well, maybe I would be playing internet chess. But I'd be doing it in a larger house and with a faster internet connection.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 16:46
    Originally posted by Delmer
    In terms of putting soccer on the front page of American sports pages, I don't think it will work. Seems like we tried it with Pele years ago. But in terms of putting soccer on the front page of American celebrity gossip pages, it is already working. Is it worth $250 million? I don't know. If I knew anything about money I wouldn't be spending my weekends play ...[text shortened]... nternet chess. But I'd be doing it in a larger house and with a faster internet connection.
    The growth in Soccer coverage and the growth of Soccer that occurred here in the US after Pele was immense.

Before Pele = Nothing.

After Pele = Newspaper coverage, Games on TV, 78,000 people in Giants stadium.

I saw two cosmos games in the '70s. The first was in Rochester. Pele and Chinaglia played. There were maybe 1000 people there. The second was in Giants stadium, Beckenbauer was on the team by then: something over 50,000.

We're starting from a much better base now. Becks will add to the popularity of the MLS at a time when the US is a serious contender in International play.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 17:15
    Originally posted by Red Night
    The growth in Soccer coverage and the growth of Soccer that occurred here in the US after Pele was immense.

Before Pele = Nothing.

After Pele = Newspaper coverage, Games on TV, 78,000 people in Giants stadium.

I saw two cosmos games in the '70s. The first was in Rochester. Pele and Chinaglia played. There were maybe 1000 people there. The seco ...[text shortened]... the popularity of the MLS at a time when the US is a serious contender in International play.
    There are 2 nice open spots for soccer. Hockey and NBA stink.

In 5 years, will soccer replace one of them? Hmmm?

My answer....

No.

Why? Soccer stinks.

P-
  11. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:11
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why? Soccer stinks.

P-
    So do you😏
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 23:00
    Originally posted by Merk
    Prince William? You can have him for free, as far as I'm concerned. As long as you take the rest of the family as well.
  13. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 11:09
    Sorry did I read you correctly rmacken, firstly I wasn't refering to the management of the beckham brand I was refering to the talentless mrs beckham, and believe me victoria doesn't make the decisions avery well oiled professional team do that for them both, niether was she in a band it was actually a group of singers , some could sing and some could not, guess which one could not? nevertheless as now it was maticulously managed, not that I mind that but lets not pretend that she now, like then has any talent, except that is for signing cheuqes..and again I don't mind that, all I'm saying is she will fit beautifully into the superfitial world which she has been so longing for ,for so long...shes just a very lost individual...ps, she is my second cousin......so take it from someone who knows, and no I have never sold a story on her, my lifes already rich in non monitorie values.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 12:16
    Originally posted by RONOC
    Sorry did I read you correctly rmacken, firstly I wasn't refering to the management of the beckham brand I was refering to the talentless mrs beckham, and believe me victoria doesn't make the decisions avery well oiled professional team do that for them both, niether was she in a band it was actually a group of singers , some could sing and some could not, gu ...[text shortened]... ows, and no I have never sold a story on her, my lifes already rich in non monitorie values.
    I'm wondering whether Becks would have made quite so much money and become such a celebrity had he not had Victoria as his partner/wife. Imagine if he'd married someone who wasn't part of the most successful (irrespecitve of talent) girl group of recent years (all time?), who didn't have the single-mindedness of Vic to be famous. 'Hello' wouldnt have sold quite so many copies, and maybe Becks wouldn't have gotten so much money from other advertising avenues.
  15. In your face
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I'm wondering whether Becks would have made quite so much money and become such a celebrity had he not had Victoria as his partner/wife. Imagine if he'd married someone who wasn't part of the most successful (irrespecitve of talent) girl group of recent years (all time?), who didn't have the single-mindedness of Vic to be famous. 'Hello' wouldnt have sol ...[text shortened]... opies, and maybe Becks wouldn't have gotten so much money from other advertising avenues.
    I agree entirely. I think perhaps that it is the partnership of these two people that people find attarctive. Two people who reached the top of the ladder in their industries. A real glamourous, showbiz wedding and partnership. They have glitz, glam, Hollywood and America written all over them, and I think that they would make an excellent marketing tool for anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree