BCS Insanity

BCS Insanity

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Just out of curiosity, do you root for any of these teams?
Sadly, I'm a Notre Dame fan.😛

But I did start watching Hawaii and Boise State last year on those rare ocasions when the games are on TV in the east. I find the their games pretty entertaining plus I do think that Colt Brennan is headed for stardom in the NFL (that's if he avoids more injuries). I also admit that I like to root for the underdog normally. Other than that, I have no rooting interest.

EDIT: Don't you root for some upsets by mid-majors in March Madness? Don't you think the presence of mid-major teams there enhances the tournament?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
12 Nov 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
Nobody cares what you "believe"; you were probably saying the same BS about Boise State last year. Brennan will be a first round pick and we'll see if he becomes a great NFL QB or not; he's got a better shot than last year's ridiculous Heisman Trophy winner, Smith from OSU (who got drafted in the 5th round by Baltimore and hasn't even been activated even ...[text shortened]... ike you think that what you "believe" is more important than the results on the field.
Who cares if he is a first round pick? Ryan Leaf ring any bells? Andre Ware? David Klingler? Todd Blackledge? All first rounders and highly thought of (probably promoted by you as great QB's of the future). Ever see the last great QB from Hawaii? Where is Mr. Chang these days?

Ok genius....how many Heisman winners made a huge impact on the NFL? Not that many. Earl Campbell may have been the greatest. Archie Griffen won it twice and was a bust in the NFL. So what is your point here. They gave the Heisman to Reggie Bush which was a joke when Vince Young was the best player two years ago.

Who cares about all the crap you are spewing? You are all over the place like a ping pong ball. Your "thoughts" "beliefs" or whatever you want to call your opinions are just as valid or invalid as anyone else's. This is a forum of discussion, not your personal platform.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Who cares if he is a first round pick? Ryan Leaf ring any bells? Andre Ware? David Klingler? Todd Blackledge? All first rounders and highly thought of (probably promoted by you as great QB's of the future). Ever see the last great QB from Hawaii? Where is Mr. Chang these days?

Ok genius....how many Heisman winners made a huge impact on the NFL? Not t id or invalid as anyone else's. This is a forum of discussion, not your personal platform.
Have you ever even bothered to watch a Hawaii game with Colt Brennan at QB? I've seen him tear up PAC-10 teams last year, including in a bowl game. About a dozen starting NFL QB's are from non-BCS automatic conferences including a guy named Favre (have you heard of him)?

EDIT: Reggie Bush didn't make in the NFL??? Thanks for sharing.

m

Moves
12 Nov 07

According to the computers, Hawaii is the #27 team in the nation. They play garbage teams week in week out. They just don't deserve the same chances as this year Oklahoma-Kansas - Missouri winner or Florida LSu winner. In fact I'd rather see the worst of those 5 teams that some team that rightfully isn't ranked in the top 25.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
12 Nov 07

Have you ever even bothered to watch a Hawaii game with Colt Brennan at QB? I've seen him tear up PAC-10 teams last year, including in a bowl game. About a dozen starting NFL QB's are from non-BCS automatic conferences including a guy named Favre (have you heard of him)?

EDIT: Reggie Bush didn't make in the NFL??? Thanks for sharing.
You must read in bits and pieces. I never said Bush didn't make it in the NFL. What I did say is that it was a biased joke that he was awarded the Heisman when Vince Young was clearly the player of the year.

I have seen Colt Brennen play, but I also saw Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and all of the previously mentioned "can't miss" QB's who missed horribly. I am also aware that There have been many great QB's come from out of nowhere. David Carr was a can't miss and he has missed badly. I am aware of Brett Farve, and Elway, Marino, Staubach. Was Tony Romo on anyone's chart? How about Phil Simms?
All I am saying is the system that June Jones runs at Hawaii produced the following "can't miss" QB's: Andre Ware, David Klingler, Tim Chang and now Colt Brennen. So far the first three were busts in the NFL. Maybe Colt will be the exception, but if history repeats, he will not be. Ware won the Heisman and couldn't cut it in Detroit. Similarly, QB's that play under Mike Leach's system at Texas Tech put up some of the most gaudy numbers you will ever see for QB's. None of them made it in the NFL either. Byron Leftwich was a "can't miss" out of Marshall. So far he has sputtered, been cut, signed by another team and trying to hang onto a job.

My last point is that carving up Pac 10 secondaries is not a major achievement, especially when you don't do it against the better teams. Instead of taking the defense to your weak arguement, why not READ what I said and think about it before trying to interpret it into your slant. Mine is based on history and yours is based on your opinion, which is what you were attempting to blast me on in previous posts.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 07
1 edit

You must read in bits and pieces. I never said Bush didn't make it in the NFL. What I did say is that it was a biased joke that he was awarded the Heisman when Vince Young was clearly the player of the year.

I have seen Colt Brennen play, but I also saw Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and all of the previously mentioned "can't miss" QB's who missed horri opinion, which is what you were attempting to blast me on in previous posts.
Chang was never considered a top prospect; he was too small and didn't have the arm Brennan does. History is meaningless when you are comparing apples to oranges. BTW, Ware and Klingler didn't play at Hawaii. And no one has put up numbers like Brennan has EVER.

Colt put up 32 points against 10-3 Oregon State and 41 against 7-5 Arizona State. He also beat Purdue which was a bowl team from the Big Ten. Of course, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that he can't put up big numbers against the top teams if he's never allowed to play them like you and others are insisting.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
According to the computers, Hawaii is the #27 team in the nation. They play garbage teams week in week out. They just don't deserve the same chances as this year Oklahoma-Kansas - Missouri winner or Florida LSu winner. In fact I'd rather see the worst of those 5 teams that some team that rightfully isn't ranked in the top 25.
Computers are brainless, relying only on pre-set formulas which don't catch all the nuances of football. The polls have moved Hawaii up as far as 11th and they'll crack the top Ten if they can beat Boise State (which I doubt but who knows?) Either Boise State or Hawaii are almost certainly going to get into a BCS game and then we'll see if they "deserved" it or not. The same crap was said last year about Boise State and all they did is beat the Big 12 champion in the best game of the BCS ones by far and one of the greatest college games in history (tied in the last 10 seconds on a Hook and Ladder? Won in overtime by a team going for two points and making it on a Statute of Liberty play?? Oh, momma).

w

Moves
13 Nov 07

Sadly, I'm a Notre Dame fan.😛

But I did start watching Hawaii and Boise State last year on those rare ocasions when the games are on TV in the east. I find the their games pretty entertaining plus I do think that Colt Brennan is headed for stardom in the NFL (that's if he avoids more injuries). I also admit that I like to root for the under ...[text shortened]... arch Madness? Don't you think the presence of mid-major teams there enhances the tournament?
ND? You poor soul. I don't root for them but I have to say I feel sorry for them. Please tell me you think Charley Brown should get canned! I mean, he has run a once proud organization into the ground.

As for rooting for underdogs, I do all the time and I do think it enhances interest and I do love march madness. Perhaps the NCAA will adopt a similar play off system one day.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Nov 07
1 edit

Chang was never considered a top prospect; he was too small and didn't have the arm Brennan does. History is meaningless when you are comparing apples to oranges. BTW, Ware and Klingler didn't play at Hawaii. And no one has put up numbers like Brennan has EVER.

Colt put up 32 points against 10-3 Oregon State and 41 against 7-5 Arizona Stat against the top teams if he's never allowed to play them like you and others are insisting.
Are you totally clueless? Ware & Klingler played at the University of Houston. The offense they played was architected by Mouse Davis, offensive coordinator for the Houston Gamblers and subsequently intsalled at the UofH. After Mouse Davis was gone, June Jones was the offensive co-ordinator who ran the run and shoot. When June Jones was offered the head coaching position at Hawaii, the offense came with him. ( I really thought with your acumen and extensive football knowledge that you might have been aware of this. Are you starting to catch the connection yet?).

Regarding your gift to the gods, Colt Brennan, tell me exactly what numbers impress you? He doesn't hold any national season or career passing records that I am aware of. The offense is designed to run up prolific numbers, just like the ones Ware, Klinger and Chang did, and like Mike Leach's QB's at Texas Tech do. None of them, repeat loudly, NONE OF THEM ever did squat in the NFL. Colt may or he may not, but one thing is for sure, he won't be playing in this offense in the NFL and he won't be running up the numbers against weak teams.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Nov 07

ND? You poor soul. I don't root for them but I have to say I feel sorry for them. Please tell me you think Charley Brown should get canned! I mean, he has run a once proud organization into the ground.

As for rooting for underdogs, I do all the time and I do think it enhances interest and I do love march madness. Perhaps the NCAA will adopt a similar play off system one day.
You would blaspheme a former New England Patriot coach?

w

Moves
13 Nov 07

You would blaspheme a former New England Patriot coach?
You disagree?

BTW: It has nothing to do with the Pats whether you believe this or not.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Nov 07

You disagree?

BTW: It has nothing to do with the Pats whether you believe this or not.
Charlie Weiss put that program backk on the map and now they are down again. They haven't really had an extended stay at the top since Ara Parsegian with the exception of Lou Holtz. I think he will get the program back on track. I am no ND fan and no Charlie Weiss fan. That is my unbiased opinion.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
14 Nov 07

Sadly, I'm a Notre Dame fan.
That is sad.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Nov 07
2 edits

Are you totally clueless? Ware & Klingler played at the University of Houston. The offense they played was architected by Mouse Davis, offensive coordinator for the Houston Gamblers and subsequently intsalled at the UofH. After Mouse Davis was gone, June Jones was the offensive co-ordinator who ran the run and shoot. When June Jones was offered the head aying in this offense in the NFL and he won't be running up the numbers against weak teams.
From the wikipedia article for Colt Brennan:

NCAA record for most career touchdown passes (121). Achieved 2007 (tied with Ty Detmer)
NCAA single-season record for most touchdown passes, achieved in 2006 (58)
NCAA two-season record for most touchdown passes, (93 -- achieved 2005-2006)
NCAA record for passing efficiency (season), posting a 186.0 mark in 2006
NCAA record for most passing yards (two seasons) with 9,850 (2005-2006)
NCAA record for most points responsible for (season) with 384. (2006)

EDIT: Warren Moon had some pretty good years in the pros in the Run and Shoot.

w

Moves
14 Nov 07
1 edit

Charlie Weiss put that program backk on the map and now they are down again. They haven't really had an extended stay at the top since Ara Parsegian with the exception of Lou Holtz. I think he will get the program back on track. I am no ND fan and no Charlie Weiss fan. That is my unbiased opinion.
How did he put them back on the map? Do remember that his winning seasons were accomplished with the former coaches recruits and even with them how many bowls did he win? If I am correct, I think this is the first year the entire team are all of Charlie's recruits. Perhaps the man simply can't recruit? Had you ever considered that?