Your Purpose in Life

Your Purpose in Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So people shouldn't believe something based on the fact that it is true?
Oh please, this is surely one of your piss-take questions. I am clearly not saying you "should" or "shouldn't" do anything. Read my previous post again. Like I said, as far as I am concerned, you can believe whatever you want and claim whatever you want as being "true".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Oh please, this is surely one of your piss-take questions. I am clearly not saying you "should" or "shouldn't" do anything. Read my previous post again. Like I said, as far as I am concerned, you can believe whatever you want and claim whatever you want as being "true".
The way I see it is because you don't view your beliefs to be true. Surely if they were true you would want other people to believe the truth as well?

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Christianty and Hinduism can't both the true at the same time.
Hang on. Don't tell us... let me see if I can guess. You reckon Christianity is "true" and Hinduism is not "true", and the proof of this is: Christianity and Hinduism can't both the true at the same time, yes? 😛

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Hang on. Don't tell us... let me see if I can guess. You reckon Christianity is "true" and Hinduism is not "true", and the [b]proof of this is: Christianity and Hinduism can't both the true at the same time, yes? 😛[/b]
No that is not the proof. Do you agree that Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Sep 16

I would say all 3.
So, non-universal laws do not require a lawmaker. Also laws not pertaining to morality do not require a lawmaker. So, for example, the laws of physics do not require a lawmaker. This is an odd position. Most people would regard the laws of physics as being somewhat more fundamental than moral codes.

You haven't answered the main question. Why does universal moral law entail a lawmaker?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
2 edits

Originally posted by DeepThought
So, non-universal laws do not require a lawmaker. Also laws not pertaining to morality do not require a lawmaker. So, for example, the laws of physics do not require a lawmaker. This is an odd position. Most people would regard the laws of physics as being somewhat more fundamental than moral codes.

You haven't answered the main question. Why does universal moral law entail a lawmaker?
How did you logically make that conclusion from what I said?

I believe it does because I believe every law has a law maker. God put a universal moral law in place just like he put the universal law of gravity in place.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

The way I see it is because you don't view your beliefs to be true. Surely if they were true you would want other people to believe the truth as well?
Well, unlike you, I don't have a prepackaged off the shelf retail religion that I seek to proselytize, and - again, unlike you - I do not have any delusions of grandeur that I seek to attach to my lack of belief in your religion [or in my neighbours' religions, for that matter].

If anyone here thinks that what I believe is perhaps closer to the "truth" than what you believe, then that will be a bi-product of the conversation we have been having in this public place.

However, I seriously doubt there are many people - if any at all - who are interested in you and me talking, and I am certainly not interested in keeping any kind of tally.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well, unlike you, I don't have a prepackaged off the shelf retail religion that I seek to proselytize, and - again, unlike you - I do not have any delusions of grandeur that I seek to attach to my lack of belief in your religion [or in my neighbours' religions, for that matter].

If anyone here thinks that what I believe is perhaps closer to the "truth" than ...[text shortened]... nterested in you and me talking, and I am certainly not interested in keeping any kind of tally.
Do you believe that your beliefs are true? Yes or No?

Moves
21 Sep 16

Christianty and Hinduism can't both the true at the same time.
They can for the respective parties.

You have no monopoly on truth claims.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Do you agree that Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true?
If it turns out that God has revealed Himself to both, and did so deliberately in different ways in different parts of the world, then I suppose it is possible that they are both "true", aside from any claims either religion has generated about it being the 'only one' and all others being 'wrong'. That might be an understandable upshot of overreaching partisan spirit and cultural chauvinism . So, in essence, and aside from that, no, I don't agree that Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Do you believe that your beliefs are true? Yes or No?
Which beliefs of mine are you talking about?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
They can for the respective parties.

You have no monopoly on truth claims.
Two contradictory beliefs can't both be true. Either one is true and the other is false. Or they are both false.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
If it turns out that God has revealed Himself to both, and did so deliberately in different ways in different parts of the world, then I suppose it is possible that they are both "true", aside from any claims either religion has generated about it being the 'only one' and all others being 'wrong'. That might be an understandable upshot of overreaching partisan s ...[text shortened]... sence, and aside from that, no, I don't agree that Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true.
Two contradictory beliefs about an actual event can't both be true.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Two contradictory beliefs can't both be true. Either one is true and the other is false. Or they are both false.
Do you consider this to be "proof" that what you believe is "true"?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Which beliefs of mine are you talking about?
The one's you believe in. All of them. Do you believe them all to be true?