Would any of you know Spirituality...

Would any of you know Spirituality...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
28 Jul 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
The long and short of it is you must evaluate your own mind. You may be inspired by others but in the end if you dont formulate your own ideas about life, you WILL miss the point of spiritual thought.
You really misunderstood my comments to dive ("let's leave it at that"😉. This has nothing to do with taking others' posts seriously or not, but merely that some things are worth arguing over and others not.

Of course it is true what you say about everybody needing to get clarity in his/her own mind "about life", but it would be presumptous in the extreme to claim that nobody elses thinking has ever influenced you.

My own thoughts have been molded and reformed numerous times by other men far more brilliant than me, which have included Francis Collins, Eckhardt Tolle, and lately very much Ken Wilber. And it certainly is nothing to be ashamed about to say so.

Moves
28 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @caljust
A typical example would be your recent comments about all Christians being equal.
That’s the best you can come up with as an example supporting claim that I don’t make sense...something I’ve never even said.

Try harder.

Moves
28 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @suzianne
Hardly.
If all Christians are born of the spirit of God surely thay all have the same spirit?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
28 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
no I haven't.

To be more precise I would like to know what you think. Does Wilber speak for you ?
Of course he does not speak FOR me, but rather TO me.

If you are not familiar with his work, then it would be very difficult for me to summarise it in a RHP post.

It is about how individuals and societies grow. For example (and very simplistically) both as children and as people-groups we grow from thinking about, and being preoccupied with:
1. Me
2. Us
3. All of us.

Most Christians (and many other religions) get stuck in Phase 2, the Tribal group, i.e. my own kin.

Another important insight of his is that of the four major components of society (Art, Science, Morality and Religion) the former three have all evolved and grown over time, and only Religion seems to have remained stuck in the Middle Ages. His plea is for all religions to accept the new knowledge that we have gained in the past few hundred years, (from all spheres of the sciences and humanities) just as medical science no longer recommends leeches for healing.

Finally, I found it insightful that when he gauges a person's spirituality, he asks the question: What is it that is of ultimate concern?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
28 Jul 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
That’s the best you can come up with as an example supporting claim that I don’t make sense...something I’ve never even said.

Try harder.
Quote: Aren't Christians all spiritual clones?

Perhaps you don't know what a clone is, or you would realise that when I said that your claim means : All Christians to be equal, this is exactly what a clone is - nothing more and nothing less.

Yes, I repeat, sometimes you don't make any sense at all.

But (and here I agree with karoly) I really don't believe this fact is worth arguing over, and I will not persue it further.

Moves
28 Jul 18

Quote: Aren't Christians all spiritual clones?

Perhaps you don't know what a clone is, or you would realise that when I said that your claim means : All Christians to be [b]equal
, this is exactly what a clone is - nothing more and nothing less.

Yes, I repeat, sometimes you don't make any sense at all.

But (and here I agree with karoly) I really don't believe this fact is worth arguing over, and I will not persue it further.[/b]
I’ve explained at least twice in this thread and once on this page and you still don’t understand what that means?

Carry on saying nothing.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
28 Jul 18

I’ve explained at least twice in this thread and once on this page
No you didn't.

The fact that you THINK you did, is another senseless comment.

But here's the thing:

Most people who participate in this Forum sooner or later get a kind of feeling about the other participants - good, bad or indifferent.

I am a superficial and infrequent reader and contributor, but even so I have also developed personal affinities and aversions about several contributors - it is only natural.

My comments in passing about you were that your comments or at times fruitful and valuable - even interesting, but at other times, well, senseless.

That is my opinion. You can ponder on it or summarily reject it, your choice.

So I now, after further reflection, admit that I have made a mistake in acceding to your request to provide you with supporting evidence for this opinion of mine. None is needed, it is merely my assessment of divegeester.

So as far as I am concerned, this matter is closed. How about discussing spirituality further, or my (very, very condensed) references to Ken Wilber's work? (If interested, maybe Google him or go to integralspirituality.org.)

Moves
28 Jul 18
1 edit

No you didn't.

The fact that you THINK you did, is another senseless comment.

But here's the thing:

Most people who participate in this Forum sooner or later get a kind of feeling about the other participants - good, bad or indifferent.

I am a superficial and infrequent reader and contributor, but even so I have also developed personal affinitie ...[text shortened]... ences to Ken Wilber's work? (If interested, maybe Google him or go to integralspirituality.org.)
The matter is not closed.

You rock up here spouting your usual superciliousness and start firing insults at me. Well here’s how it goes my forum friend, if you have a negative claim against me then you will need to back it up with some kind of evidence. Yes the mistake is indeed yours.

Your notion that I take your words of insight about me and ponder over them is laughable, you don’t know the slightest thing about me and frankly I think you are pretentious.

And in passing you now want me to google someone you look up to and investigate your favourite website...just tell me Sir, why on earth should I bother?

E

Moves
28 Jul 18

The matter is not closed.

You rock up here spouting your usual superciliousness and start firing insults at me. Well here’s how it goes my forum friend, if you have a negative claim against me then you will need to back it up with some kind of evidence. Yes the mistake is indeed yours.

Your notion that I take your words of insight about me and po ...[text shortened]... k up to and investigate your favourite website...just tell me Sir, why on earth should I bother?
Dive believe it or not you are a lot like me in that if you make an accusation you better prove it.

I suppose I only limit it to certain people...my wife lol.

Yeah it doesn't really help me in life. Just creates or continues arguments.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
28 Jul 18

I'm more of a Caljust type. I see nothing wrong with someone submitting a personal opinion or observation without backing it up. The opinion can immediately be temporarily or permanently nullified by requesting proof. But the point of submitting an opinion or observation is to just be a human being. It's not like any of these threads are to be treated as formal debates. I think of this place more as a saloon where we sit at a round table and have discussion. Maybe, RHP forbid, someone can interject some humor (google the word if needed) into the conversation.

E

Moves
28 Jul 18

The rule is of course to prove that you are right based on beliefs I hold.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Jul 18

You really misunderstood my comments to dive ("let's leave it at that"😉. This has nothing to do with taking others' posts seriously or not, but merely that some things are worth arguing over and others not.

Of course it is true what you say about everybody needing to get clarity in his/her own mind "about life", but it would be presumptous in the extrem ...[text shortened]... lle, and lately very much Ken Wilber. And it certainly is nothing to be ashamed about to say so.
you may be inspired by others but in the end anything short of your own convictions about life and spirituality will be found out.

Putting your own ideas into action will show them for what they are.
If you adhere to the commandments and understand the spirit of creation you're always on the right track

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Jul 18

He who dies with the most knowledge wins.

Moves
29 Jul 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
I'm more of a Caljust type. I see nothing wrong with someone submitting a personal opinion or observation without backing it up.
So if I call you a hypocrite, you are ok with me doing that without providing any support for my accusation?

Moves
29 Jul 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
I'm more of a Caljust type. I see nothing wrong with someone submitting a personal opinion or observation without backing it up. The opinion can immediately be temporarily or permanently nullified by requesting proof. But the point of submitting an opinion or observation is to just be a human being. It's not like any of these threads are to be treate ...[text shortened]... rbid, someone can interject some humor (google the word if needed) into the conversation.
Yes, this doesn’t surprise me as your sloppy opinion based posting has gotten you into significant conflict on occasions since you’ve been here.