Why was Moussaoui spared?

Why was Moussaoui spared?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by aspviper666
I'll pray for you.
Thanks but don't bother.
It won't work.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 May 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
It may be so solitary he will not even know what direction in which to pray.
It might also be risky to bend over to pray.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 May 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
If that were the case, he shouldn't have been convicted in the first place.

The very fact that they held a deliberation on whether to administer capital punishment indicates that he was already found beyond any reasonable doubt to be responsible for a capital crime.
Not actually since he pled guilty. I have serious doubts that a death penalty based on a failure to timely reveal facts regarding a criminal conspiracy that the accused was a part of would have survived appellate review. My guess is the jury just didn't think he was responsible for 9/11 or anybody's actual death.

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
05 May 06

Regardless, I think it would have been more humane to kill him.

96% of your life in a little room without any contact to the outside world.........yeah, you ask me, he got the worse of the two possible sentences.

I hope he takes comfort in his "America, you lose!" mentality. He'll have plenty of private, quiet time to contemplate his "win". 😛

silicon valley

Moves
05 May 06

nope. jury trials are crapshoots. he might've even got acquitted. it's not under the control of the U.S. (crossposted from General.)

i seem to remember an inmate being executed in texas for being an accomplice in a robbery that resulted in murder, plus there's the sentence for rape of 8-yo on appeal in louisiana.

wasn't moussaoui actually training for the mission? that indicates more than just a failure to inform authorities.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 May 06

Originally posted by zeeblebot
nope. jury trials are crapshoots. he might've even got acquitted. it's not under the control of the U.S. (crossposted from General.)

i seem to remember an inmate being executed in texas for being an accomplice in a robbery that resulted in murder, plus there's the sentence for rape of 8-yo on appeal in louisiana.

wasn't moussaoui actually training for the mission? that indicates more than just a failure to inform authorities.
Training for something doesn't make you death penalty eligible; you have to be responsible for someone's death. The prosecutor's theory was that he was responsible for the deaths on 9/11 because he didn't reveal the details of the conspiracy to the authorities. This is quite a dubious reason under American law given the right against self-incrimination.

silicon valley

Moves
05 May 06

why isn't he considered an accomplice? would he have to actually be there?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 May 06

Originally posted by zeeblebot
why isn't he considered an accomplice? would he have to actually be there?
He's not considered an accomplice because he didn't actually do anything. He's considered a conspirator because he PLANNED to do something.