Why Is There Belief in the Divinity of Jesus?

Why Is There Belief in the Divinity of Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
29 Jul 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
Is that the best you can do?
Learn to insult people properly or get back to the culture thread .. you little pussy.
You know, that does not convince me any more about your views.

D
Christian

England

Moves
29 Jul 08

Why do people accept, without evidence, as fact that a human being called Jesus was conceived by the union of the deity of monotheism and a virgin human woman?

How is this different from the story of Hercules? What if the name of God was Zeus or Jupiter?

In other words, defining reality in terms of faith, any faith, simply baffles me.[/b]
Actually there IS evidence in secular history. Try Josephus and Pliny for example. There is no evidence anywhere for Hercules and all the other mythical 'heroes'.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
29 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Drimachus
Actually there IS evidence in secular history. Try Josephus and Pliny for example. There is no evidence anywhere for Hercules and all the other mythical 'heroes'.
See Making History: Josephus And Historical Method (Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism) by Zuleika Rodgers (Editor)

There is a lot of controversy and differences of opinion regarding the reliability of Josephus and Pliny.

but you make a good point -- Hercules and Zeus are not good examples of anything except myth.

I do not represent that my opinion that the story of Jesus, his divinity, and his death and return from the grave are also myths is just that, an opinion.

I've been alive for 6 decades -- if even 1% of what you faithful, religious Christians say is in fact true, either historically or in the present day, I've yet to see any direct evidence I can trust.

What I have seen is a seemingly endless procession of Christian evangelists, priests, ministers, whatever, kicked out, sent to jail, or otherwise revealed to be quite other than what they professed to be. Yet most of these people had faithful followers numbering in the millions.

Everyone seems to speak with the word of God, the Almighty.

Well, you all can't be simultaneously correct.

I agree with Christopher Hitchens, for the most part, about religion.
My beliefs tend not be mere beliefs. My principles are not a faith. I do not rely solely on science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but I distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. I am reconciled to living only once, except through my remaining child, for whom I am perfectly happy to notice that I must make way, and room. I believe with certainty that an ethical life can be lived without religion. And I know for a fact that the corollary holds true—that religion has caused innumerable people not just to conduct themselves no better than others, but to award themselves permission to bomb and kill innocent people and to commit other heinous and immoral acts as evil or worse than anyone doing so without the cover of some religious fanaticism.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
29 Jul 08

Originally posted by Drimachus
Is there any more evidence for the resurrection of Jesus?

Oh, a rock. A religion born of a rock.

Wind. Tomb robbers. Hunters. Wild animals. Any one of these could have moved the stone and taken out the body. The remains are probably about 20 feet from where they were originally buried, and no one bothered to look.