1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:29
    @secondson said
    to suggest that when one adheres to that belief they do so as a means of coping with death is pure unadulterated poppycock.
    Are there any major religions that do NOT deal with death by promising that it can be 'conquered' - or some such - by everlasting life?
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:38
    @fmf said
    Are there any major religions that do NOT deal with death by promising that it can be 'conquered' - or some such - by everlasting life?
    That's their problem you know. "Religions" and religionist "deal" with death. Quite unsuccessfully.

In Christianity we have a savior that conquered death all by Himself. It's a done "deal". Now, through faith, we are the beneficiaries and receive eternal life by God's grace.

No religion necessary. Thank you very much.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:431 edit
    @secondson said
    In Christianity we have a savior that conquered death all by Himself. It's a done "deal". Now, through faith, we are the beneficiaries and receive eternal life by God's grace.
    These are religious beliefs and doctrines.

They include the doctrine that "eternal life" has "conquered death".

These religious beliefs and doctrines affect your attitude to death ~ something you feel needed to be conquered".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:45
    @secondson said
    That's their problem you know. "Religions" and religionist "deal" with death. Quite unsuccessfully.
    If they believe that "eternal life" has "conquered death", how is "death" still a "problem"?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:10
    @fmf said
    These are religious beliefs and doctrines.

They include the doctrine that "eternal life" has "conquered death".

These religious beliefs and doctrines affect your attitude to death ~ something you feel needed to be conquered".
    For heaven's sake FMF can you ever garble things up! I don't believe you're that durn dumb. Are you lacking enough sleep? I'll explain it to you one more time. If you can understand a few simple things you'll end up "born again" by morning, but it will require a bit more subtlety of thought on your part. 😉

"These are religious beliefs and doctrines."

No. Dump the "religious" jargon. Think, "God said". If only for a moment.

"They include the doctrine that "eternal life" has "conquered death"."

No. Death was "conquered" by a single individual. His name is Jesus.

"These religious beliefs and doctrines affect your attitude to death ~ something you feel needed to be conquered"."

No. "Death" is a non-issue. The physical body will die, but I never will.

Of course I'd rather not be eaten by alligators or cancer.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:18
    @secondson said
    "Death" is a non-issue. The physical body will die, but I never will.
    Isn't this rendering of death as a non-issue a result of your belief in eternal life?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:20
    @secondson said
    For heaven's sake FMF can you ever garble things up! I don't believe you're that durn dumb. Are you lacking enough sleep?
    What are on about?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:23
    @secondson said
    "These are religious beliefs and doctrines."

No. Dump the "religious" jargon. Think, "God said". If only for a moment.
    unedited:

In Christianity

we have a savior that conquered death all by Himself.

It's a done "deal".

Now, through faith, we are the beneficiaries and receive eternal life by God's grace.

This is religious doctrine.

Death was "conquered" by a single individual. His name is Jesus.

This is religious doctrine too.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:26
    @secondson said
    Dump the "religious" jargon.
    It isn't jargon.

"Religion", "religious" and "religiosity" are the correct words for the ideas you are expressing.

All major religions in the eyes of their adherents deal with death by promising that it can be 'conquered' by everlasting life.

Yours is no exception.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:29
    @fmf said
    Isn't this rendering of death as a non-issue a result of your belief in eternal life?
    No. Death was rendered a non-issue long before I was ever born.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:31
    @fmf said
    unedited:

In Christianity

we have a savior that conquered death all by Himself.

It's a done "deal".

Now, through faith, we are the beneficiaries and receive eternal life by God's grace.

This is religious doctrine.

Death was "conquered" by a single individual. His name is Jesus.

This is religious doctrine too.
    You're too religious.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:35
    @secondson said
    No. Death was rendered a non-issue long before I was ever born.
    So death is "a non-issue" for you. And this is because you believe you have everlasting life. Death is "a non-issue" for me too, but some notion of everlasting life has nothing to do with.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:38
    @secondson said
    You're too religious.
    I am using the word "religious" as meaning - as it says in wiki - "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods". So, not believing in "a superhuman controlling power", I am not religious according to this ~ although I used to be. Religions include Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Christianity. Your religion is Christianity.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:47
    @fmf said
    It isn't jargon.

"Religion", "religious" and "religiosity" are the correct words for the ideas you are expressing.

All major religions in the eyes of their adherents deal with death by promising that it can be 'conquered' by everlasting life.

Yours is no exception.
    You really are quite ignorant about Christianity.

If you understood even the basics of the Bible you'd know that Jesus Christ claims absolute exclusivity from any other belief system.

Mine is the exception. There is only one way to God, and that is through Jesus Christ, and you know that's what the Bible teaches.

So why are you making such an abject ignorant remark?

I can quote chapter and verse the promises made in the Bible relative to eternal life, and there's not another religious system or writings that can compare whatsoever.

Nonsense. Prove it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:50
    @secondson said
    If you understood even the basics of the Bible you'd know that Jesus Christ claims absolute exclusivity from any other belief system.
    Not being a Christian, I can see Christianity for what it is: just another major religion alongside others, despite what you assert "Jesus Christ claims".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree