"Why Are You Atheists So angry?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Dec 11

Originally posted by Melanerpes
I don't think we should be worried right now about the precise definition of "atheist" or "agnostic"

googlefudge's video raises legitimate concerns that should be addressed. I think that theists in this forum should be extremely angry about most of the things this woman is angry about.

It seems that the biggest issue for her is that too many religio ...[text shortened]... do you think should be done to minimize the sorts of things this woman is angry about.
I think one of the people told here what she needed, but she dismissed it.
That was a strong man to take control of her and give her some loving.
She needs love in her life to get rid of some of that anger.

j

Moves
10 Dec 11
3 edits

Originally posted by Melanerpes
I don't think we should be worried right now about the precise definition of "atheist" or "agnostic"

googlefudge's video raises legitimate concerns that should be addressed. I think that theists in this forum should be extremely angry about most of the things this woman is angry about.

It seems that the biggest issue for her is that too many religio do you think should be done to minimize the sorts of things this woman is angry about.
So - Jaywill - what do you think should be done to minimize the sorts of things this woman is angry about.

It is inevitable, in this world, that hostility from unbelievers in God will grow against believers. If it is not for one reason it will be for another. If the reaction is not for legitimate reasons or weak reasons, it will be for legitimate ones.

She is right on schedule. She is right on time as we approach the end of the age. But this is a spiritual battle. The human conflict in the foreground is the result of the conflict of spiritual realm.

This age will end with a man and some men physically fighting against Christ for the possession of this earth.

Let me repeat that with emphasis. This age will end with some men physically fighting against God for the possession of this planet. The intellectual battle, the spiritual battle, the strawmen, or the legitimate complaints of unbelievers will climax and culminate in a PHYSICAL confrontation between the descending Son of God with His armies and the God opposing forces of this world.

We should expect this hostility to escalate and not abate. The good news is that many are now turning to Christ all around the whole earth. The loudest Gpd opposers should not give the impression that they are a majority. They are just very loud.

So we love them. And some of them clearly want to be left alone. As believers we should leave them alone as they request. I feel that I should really not even be posting in this thread because this thread starter is one who wants to be left alone by Christians.

I have more. But this is too long already. But Jesus Christ is coming not for any appeasement. Jesus Christ is coming for unconditional surrender.

See Psalm 2.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
10 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
"(or by people who buy into the definitions come up with by theists)"

Nobody is an authority on what Atheists mean when they call themselves Atheists other than those
Atheists.

Would you accept any definition of what it meant to be your brand of Christian simply because it said
so in some dictionary? (rhetorical question)

But yes, lets d ...[text shortened]... n simply to clarify what I (and the speaker) meant by the word, this was evidently a mistake).[/b]
Nobody is an authority on what Atheists mean when they call themselves Atheists other than those Atheists.
Oh, I see. So you guys some have some sort of magic decoder ring that only you know how to use, right?

Moves
10 Dec 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]Nobody is an authority on what Atheists mean when they call themselves Atheists other than those Atheists.
Oh, I see. So you guys some have some sort of magic decoder ring that only you know how to use, right?[/b]
No, don't be silly.
See this thread.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Atheism%2C_Definitions%3F_discussion%3F&threadid=143800

Moves
10 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I think one of the people told here what she needed, but she dismissed it.
That was a strong man to take control of her and give her some loving.
She needs love in her life to get rid of some of that anger.
WOW, did you just make her point and then some.

This is a beautiful example of the medieval bigoted misogynistic idiotic religious crap that drives atheists of all genders nuts.

This is what she was talking about that makes Atheists angry.

I am an atheist, I am a guy, and this made me angry.

You suggesting that I need to get a nice strong husband to calm me down?

Or how about Richard Dawkins (happily married), how do you explain his anger at theists?

The idea that 'what she needs' is a 'strong man to Take Control of her' is so backwards arse offensive I am having a hard time
believing that you actually said it.

Did you miss the last half of the 20th century?
Or are you stuck all the way back in the 16th?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Dec 11
2 edits

WOW, did you just make her point and then some.

This is a beautiful example of the medieval bigoted misogynistic idiotic religious crap that drives atheists of all genders nuts.

This is what she was talking about that makes Atheists angry.

I am an atheist, I am a guy, and this made me angry.

You suggesting that I need to get a nice strong hus you miss the last half of the 20th century?
Or are you stuck all the way back in the 16th?
Perhaps you are missing my point. I was not even talking about what you
needed. I was talking about the suggestion she mentioned someone else
said to her. She did not say she was a Lesbian so I believe it is good for
her to have a strong macho man in her life to complete her and give her
love and maybe another outlook on life. What is wrong with that?

P.S. My wife is very happy with my backwards arse. 😏

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Dec 11

Perhaps you are missing my point. I was not even talking about what you
needed. I was talking about the suggestion she mentioned someone else
said to her. She did not say she was a Lesbian so I believe it is good for
her to have a strong macho man in her life to complete her and give her
love and maybe another outlook on life. What is wrong with that?

P.S. My wife is very happy with my backwards arse. 😏
Rather than specific advice which to your mind sounds good, its often better to say to angry people ...

"... hey life is hard all round; grow up and stop blaming the world for your problems .."

Moves
10 Dec 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
Rather than specific advice which to your mind sounds good, its often better to say to angry people ...

"... hey life is hard all round; grow up and stop blaming the world for your problems .."
(note: not speaking for all atheists, but this is a common and 'popular' atheist sentiment)

When people are getting angry at what you are doing, telling them to stop blaming the world
for their problems is really pretty dumb.

Atheists are not blaming the world for their problems, In fact most of the things listed in the video
are not things theists are doing to atheists.

The young girls having their genitals mutilated in africa/middle east because their crappy religion
says that's what should happen aren't our kids, it isn't being done to the kids of atheist families.
It's being done in theist families.

The kids being raped by catholic priests and the church covering it up...

We aren't blaming the world for OUR problems, we are blaming religion for many of the worlds problems.
And that's what we're angry about, religions doing stupid things in the name of themselves.

So, your advice, it's not just bad, it's stupid.

It fails to identify the issue at hand (did you actually watch the video in the OP?) and has a response that
highlights your own ignorance and incomprehension of the issues, is patronising and condescending, and
will do nothing but make the people it's directed at angrier.

There are issues in this world worth getting angry about.

Anger is a motivator to doing something about those issues.

The solution to reducing the anger, solve the problem, blindly attacking those that are angry about a real issue
and ignoring the root cause just makes them angrier, and now you are part of the problem.

The solution to angry people, is to listen to what they are angry about, and deal with the issue.

Unfortunately for you in this instance, your idiotic religion and it's teachings are the issue.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Dec 11
1 edit

(note: not speaking for all atheists, but this is a common and 'popular' atheist sentiment)

When people are getting angry at what you are doing, telling them to stop blaming the world

Atheists are not blaming the world for their problems, In fact most of the things listed in the video
are not things the y for you in this instance, your idiotic religion and it's teachings are the issue.
I said in my analysis of the angry atheist woman in the video that she was
blaming religion for all these things in life she was angry about. It was not
the world she was blaming.

P.S. The problem I see with her is that she lumps Christianity in with
false teachings of all religions as if they are the same. Then when someone
tries to point this out to her, she responds, "Why should I care?"

Maryland

Moves
11 Dec 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUI_ML1qkQE&feature=channel_video_title

This is a video of a talk (appx 48mins long) from the recent Skepticon IV conference the video's
from which I have been slowly and steadily watching as time allows as I wasn't able to go (sadness).

The title of this talk is the same as this threads title, and is dealing with ...[text shortened]... ts and the
vast majority of skeptics and/or freethinkers (those that are doing it right).
Why are theists so stupid?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Dec 11

That is what we sometimes say to those who don't want to work for a living.
Don't confuse all atheists with the lazy people who live off others.

Moves
11 Dec 11

I said in my analysis of the angry atheist woman in the video that she was
the world she was blaming.

P.S. The problem I see with her is that she lumps Christianity in with
"I said in my analysis of the angry atheist woman in the video that she was
the world she was blaming."

Yes I noticed this which is probably why my post was in response to somebody else.

"The problem I see with her is that she lumps Christianity in with

She is an atheist.

I am an atheist.

It was a convention filled with atheists.

We don't see any difference (in terms of truth or validity) between ANY of the worlds religions.

That is because ALL religions require the belief in a god or gods based purely on blind faith.
Because there is no evidence at all that indicates that a god or god's exist.

All religions are from this perspective identical.

Now they do have differences in terms of practices and in immediate terms some are more dangerous
than others.

But no religion from an outside perspective gets to use the label 'true religion', because every single
one of them claims to be the true frickin religion.

Christianity is a very large religion with hundreds (at least) of different denominations who sometimes
violently oppose one another.

When she says "why should I care" it was in response to people using the argument that the people
doing the bad things are misunderstanding the scripture (whichever scripture that is) and the religion
doesn't really mean that.

And because you evidently don't understand what she meant by this, I will explain it.

What matters is not what a few scholars of scripture think the relevant holy book says.
Because religions are not made up of a few scholars.
The big faiths have hundreds of millions or even billions of members.
What counts is how they behave, and act, and interpret the scripture.
The fact that many Islamic scholars claim that Islam is a religion of piece and condemn violence, is irrelevant when
looking at the millions upon millions who think that Islam says that they should wage jihad against their enemies
and cheered when they heard about the planes hitting the towers.
There is no way as an external observer to tell who is right and it doesn't matter.

Also, when you try to fob off her anger as being against people who believe false teachings...
Try to remember that actually you regularly express views that she gets angry at.
Your medieval sexist bigotry being one prime example.
Your views on homosexuality and evolution and science and..... it's not some other Christian views she is mad at,
it's yours.
And also, I perhaps should have made it clear, I agree with everything she said in that talk which is why I posted it.
I am a guy, as were more than 50% of the cheering crowd, and like her I am not angry ALL the time, I live a happy
sunny life (well as much as anyone does/should) but I get angry at the idiocies of this world and many (by no means all)
of them are caused by people following religion, and not rationality.

You are the poster child of the bat dropping crazy, backwards arse, bible thumping, Hallelujah shouting, creationist,
sexist, homophobic, bigoted, ignorant, crazy Christian.... and proud of it to-boot.

Your beliefs are included in what makes us mad, so we are not just lumping you in with others who's beliefs you don't share.

The sad thing is that your going to be really pleased that your beliefs drive Atheists nuts.

You really shouldn't be.

Moves
11 Dec 11

Originally posted by 667joe
Why are theists so stupid?
I won't actually buy this generalisation.

Stupidity has nothing to do with it.

Now of course the religions themselves and the beliefs they contain are stupid for sure.

But the people in those religions are not (necessarily) stupid.
Being a theist is not evidence of being an idiot.

Being an idiot is evidence of being an idiot.

Smart people can believe stupid things if they don't value rationalism.
Unfortunately we don't really teach or value rationalism in our societies, most people don't even
know what it is.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 Dec 11
1 edit

are not things the y for you in this instance, your idiotic religion and it's teachings are the issue.
Genital mutilation is a cultural phenomena that existed way before Christ was born, and has nothing to do with any religion. Priests abusing kids is a human failing and again, it has nothing to do with religion. People in general abuse kids, both atheists and theists. You are rather childishly lashing out at theists for problems which are the result of human weaknesses. Now that in itself is typical foolish atheist nonsense.

Moves
11 Dec 11

Genital mutilation is a cultural phenomena that existed way before Christ was born, and has nothing to do with any religion. Priests abusing kids is a human failing and again, it has nothing to do with religion. People in general abuse kids, both atheists and theists. You are rather childishly lashing out at theists for problems which are the result of human weaknesses. Now that in itself is typical foolish atheist nonsense.
Did you actually watch the presentation (the video linked in the OP)?

Because if you had you aught to realise that you are making one of the exact same stupid
argument's that she pointed out theists make that are total bunk and why.

Are you trying to make her point or did you just not bother watching the video?

If religions can take credit for 'good' done in their name then they can take credit for everything
done in their name.