Where does a muslim turn to pray

Where does a muslim turn to pray

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
15 Oct 07

If he is in the antipode of Mecca? (i guess somewhere in the French Polynesia, in the middle of the pacific). Anyplace where he can turn (tangent to the surface) is equally close to Mecca, or must he turn down, into the floor (i guess this is the closest straight line)?

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
15 Oct 07

http://www.antipodemap.com/ It ends up being in the ocean, so I imagine you one could just move one's boat a foot or two.

s

Moves
15 Oct 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
http://www.antipodemap.com/ It ends up being in the ocean, so I imagine you one could just move one's boat a foot or two.
So always bring your last generation GPS to the pacific.

s

Moves
15 Oct 07

Tougher one
What if a muslim went to the moon, or mars?
5 prayers a day (but there are no days), washing before (no water or dirt around), etc?

s

England

Moves
15 Oct 07

dont they just turn to thier back pack and pray!

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
15 Oct 07

Originally posted by serigado
So always bring your last generation GPS to the pacific.
Don't leave home without it! 😉

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Oct 07

Tougher one
What if a muslim went to the moon, or mars?
5 prayers a day (but there are no days), washing before (no water or dirt around), etc?
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/04/30/tech-muslimsinspace-20070430.html

s

Moves
16 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/04/30/tech-muslimsinspace-20070430.html
uhf!
But cool.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Oct 07

If he is in the antipode of Mecca? (i guess somewhere in the French Polynesia, in the middle of the pacific). Anyplace where he can turn (tangent to the surface) is equally close to Mecca, or must he turn down, into the floor (i guess this is the closest straight line)?
Every set of laws has exceptions or cases where the law is difficult or impossible to apply. When a religion teaches that certain laws must be obeyed to the letter then problems will always arise. However I have been told by a Muslim that most rules should be followed to the best of your ability and when you don't know the correct thing to do you may be forgiven. For example if you accidentally eat something that was not Halal then you might be forgiven (unless it was due to carelessness ie not even bothering to ask).
In Cape Town the last day of Ramadan is celebrated on two different days by two sets of Muslims because of different interpretations of the rule. I believe the day is based on the moon, but the question is whether the moon is seen from Mecca or from the location of the person in question. Apparently this interpretation difference has lead to a significant split in the Muslim community.
Extreme interpretation of laws leads to other interesting things such as a Jew saying that it is wrong to drag a chair on the Sabbath as that is considered plowing (work), or if the chair has more than two rungs in the back then it is a ladder etc.
On the opposite end we have Christians who have generally discarded almost all rules and regulations with precious little justification for doing so.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Every set of laws has exceptions or cases where the law is difficult or impossible to apply. When a religion teaches that certain laws must be obeyed to the letter then problems will always arise. However I have been told by a Muslim that most rules should be followed to the best of your ability and when you don't know the correct thing to do you may be f ...[text shortened]... lly discarded almost all rules and regulations with precious little justification for doing so.
what an irritating load of b****x these relligions dream up
🙄

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Oct 07

Originally posted by eamon o
what an irritating load of b****x these relligions dream up
🙄
I'm waiting for the religion to pop along that states it's a sin for women to wear clothing.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Oct 07

Islam is one of the most stupid ideologies going around today.

s

Moves
18 Oct 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Islam is one of the most stupid ideologies going around today.
I agree. Alongside with Judaism and Christianity.

s

Moves
19 Oct 07
1 edit

I agree. Alongside with Judaism and Christianity.
I'm not sure I'd agree. There was definitely a purpose to being on the side that could out-reproduce the other side, that being survival and growth.

s

Moves
19 Oct 07

Originally posted by snowinscotland
I'm not sure I'd agree. There was definitely a purpose to being on the side that could out-reproduce the other side, that being survival and growth.
what?
I didn't quite understand what you said... Now I'm thinking you said something really stupid, it must be my bad english. You are saying there was a purpose for christians being more fertile then other beliefs?