Whay are there so many dumb people religeous and so many smart people atheist?

Whay are there so many dumb people religeous and so many smart people atheist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Don't you mean science falsely so-called, like evolution? Such as Paul warned Timothy about in the letter below:

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of [b]science falsely so called:

(1Timothy 6:10 KJV)[/b]
No not really, I am simply opposed to the idea that because you can detail the process of making a cake (science) its alleged that one can tell why the cake was made (metaphysics)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jul 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
really? and how will you measure intelligence on your dim-o-meter?

I had a friend, Gavin McNay, he had a first class honours degree from Glasgow University in mathematics (number theory) yet he failed his ordinary English exam 'o' grade at the time, was he dim or brainy?
An objective Intelligence test would tell you.

I suspect brainy.

Because brainy people can fail some simple stuff.

But idiots cannot pass difficult stuff.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
An objective Intelligence test would tell you.

I suspect brainy.

Because brainy people can fail some simple stuff.

But idiots cannot pass difficult stuff.
an objective intelligence test would tell me nothing other than people are good or bad at doing intelligence tests! I mock these tests, lets see you're brainboxes compete with the weaver bird in tapestry skills or organize a system with the same efficiency as a nest of ants!

He was no more brainier than anyone else that could not pass ordinary grade English, all he had was a gift for mathematics, how that equates to intelligence you have not said. In fact he was most eccentric and had no dress sense, no colour coordination and poor inter personal relationship skills, so in what universe is he more intelligent than anyone else with these qualities?

Idiots are excellent at talking nonsense.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jul 14
1 edit

its alleged that one can tell why the cake was made (metaphysics)
Are you sure? Maybe it is alleged that it is impossible to know why a cake was made. How would you go about finding out why a cake was made? Does it tell you in the Bible?

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Are you sure? Maybe it is alleged that it is impossible to know why a cake was made. How would you go about finding out why a cake was made? Does it tell you in the Bible?
Its not really about cakes. Agers proffered the idea that science can help someone 'to make sense of his life', an idea that I reject on the basis of the illustration that i gave, science can no more answer serious questions about life than Paul the octopus. It may tell us how the universe functions but it doesn't tell us why it was brought into existence, for that we need metaphysics and yes the Bible does tell us why.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jul 14

Its not really about cakes.
... and he runs for the hills.

.... science can no more answer serious questions about life than Paul the octopus.
And neither can you apparently.

... and yes the Bible does tell us why.
So, maybe you can quote the appropriate verses that will tell me why the cake made by my neighbour yesterday was made.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14
1 edit

... and he runs for the hills.

[b].... science can no more answer serious questions about life than Paul the octopus.

And neither can you apparently.

... and yes the Bible does tell us why.
So, maybe you can quote the appropriate verses that will tell me why the cake made by my neighbour yesterday was made.[/b]
why don't you ask for a slice, examine the ingredients and see if you can tell why the cake was made, does it have sultanas or raisins? chocolate? strawberry jam? is it plain or iced?

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jul 14

why don't you ask for a slice, examine the ingredients and see if you can tell why the cake was made, does it have sultanas or raisins? chocolate? strawberry jam? is it plain or iced?
You couldn't find the appropriate verses?

So, it looks like we agree, it is impossible to know why a cake was made - and your attempted attack on science is a fail.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
07 Jul 14
1 edit

yes because lets all hail the God of science, it can tell us everything we need to know, so lets conduct an experiment, lets ask,

1. Why am I here?
2. Is there a purpose to life?
3. How can i find happiness?
4. What is art?

Lets ask the God of science so that it may answer. . . . . .and what we find is that there is an eerie silence, it ...[text shortened]... ot make sense of anything but that which is material, to make sense of life we need metaphysics.
1. Why am I here?
I believe the science of Biology can answer that one for you. In layman's terms I think it's all to do with your mummy letting your daddy use his special "torch" inside her special "cave" without wearing a special "coat"

Yes ... to eventually play the same role as mummy or daddy in [1]

3. How can i find happiness?
Accomplishing [2] (with or without special coat)

4. What is art?
The mandlebrot set.

------------------------
Science / Mathematics - 4, Robbie Carrobie / Religion - NIL

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jul 14

26Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
NIV 1Cor 1:26-31

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jul 14

an objective intelligence test would tell me nothing other than people are good or bad at doing intelligence tests!
This old chestnut is put about by people who fail IQ tests!!!

Granted the old IQ tests were very fallible, and granted that modern tests
have wide margin of error. BUT they are the only way.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
This old chestnut is put about by people who fail IQ tests!!!

Granted the old IQ tests were very fallible, and granted that modern tests
have wide margin of error. BUT they are the only way.
no, there is no way, my friend the mathematical genius was as much a slap head at English as R J Hinds lecturing on quantum mechanics at Oxford while on acid!

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14

Originally posted by Agerg
[b]1. Why am I here?
I believe the science of Biology can answer that one for you. In layman's terms I think it's all to do with your mummy letting your daddy use his special "torch" inside her special "cave" without wearing a special "coat"

Yes ... to eventually play the same role as mummy or daddy in [1]

...[text shortened]... ---------------------
Science / Mathematics - [b]4
, Robbie Carrobie / Religion - NIL[/b]
Man robbie sooooo busted!

rc

Moves
07 Jul 14
1 edit

You couldn't find the appropriate verses?

So, it looks like we agree, it is impossible to know why a cake was made - and your attempted attack on science is a fail.
No seriously go and ask for a slice of cake, examine its contents and see if you can tell us why it was made, for example, if it has raisins and fruit and lashings of like rum, it could be a wedding cake, for its unlikely to be a Christmas cake at this time and so by the method of deduction you might find out why the cake was made after all. If on the other hand its creamy and filled with strawberry jam and you see signs of candle marks on the icing you might conclude that it was a birthday cake. After this, try it with the universe.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Jul 14

No seriously go and ask for a slice of cake, examine its contents and see if you can tell us why it was made, for example, if it has raisins and fruit and lashings of like rum, it could be a wedding cake, for its unlikely to be a Christmas cake at this time and so by the method of deduction you might find out why the cake was made after all. If on th ...[text shortened]... the icing you might conclude that it was a birthday cake. After this, try it with the universe.
Can't make up your mind can you?
You gave the cake as an example of something for which you cannot deduce the 'why' by examining the ingredients. When I challenge you, you keep on insisting that I do examine the ingredients - and you are even claiming that it might be possible to deduce the 'why' from the ingredients.
And you still haven't been able to find the appropriate verse in the Bible that tells me why the cake was made.