What is wrong with being ATHIEST?

What is wrong with being ATHIEST?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by johnsteele57368
A curious question. What is the basis of Atheistic ethics if such a thing exists?

I am thinking of the Dostoyevsky quote, from The Brothers Karamozov, I think, in which one of the characters opines that, if God does not exist, then everything is permissible. That has long seemed to me to be profoundly true. So what is the basis of an Atheistical ethical theory?
Reason and empathy.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
16 May 05

A curious question. What is the basis of Atheistic ethics if such a thing exists?

I am thinking of the Dostoyevsky quote, from The Brothers Karamozov, I think, in which one of the characters opines that, if God does not exist, then everything is permissible. That has long seemed to me to be profoundly true. So what is the basis of an Atheistical ethical theory?
Relativism and self preservation, or maybe it's just a big guess. Who knows?

l

London

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by sjeg

What is wrong with muffins? And is not [b]that
the question we really should be asking ourselves?[/b]
Being an atheist has more in common with coups than you think. 😉

l

London

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Relativism and self preservation, or maybe it's just a big guess. Who knows?
How about fear? Rationalisation? Head in the sand?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
How about fear? Rationalisation? Head in the sand?
Until I came to this site, I never encountered people so stupid that they couldn't understand that non-Christians could have morals. I guess I should be grateful for being exposed to a different viewpoint, but that view is so plainly wrong and its wrongness is so patently obvious to anyone who has eyes that I don't feel very enlightened.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Until I came to this site, I never encountered people so stupid that they couldn't understand that non-Christians could have morals. I guess I should be grateful for being exposed to a different viewpoint, but that view is so plainly wrong and its wrongness is so patently obvious to anyone who has eyes that I don't feel very enlightened.
I don't doubt they have morals, I just doubt they can ultimately account for them.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
16 May 05

I don't doubt they have morals, I just doubt they can ultimately account for them.
Out of curiosity, what do you think it would take to 'ultimately account' for an ethical theory?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
Out of curiosity, what do you think it would take to 'ultimately account' for an ethical theory?
True knowledge. Not just possible knowledge.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 05

Reason and empathy as I stated above (although Bbarr's question is a good one). For example, some of the Christians on this site think it's OK to stick a sword in a baby if God tells them to. But I know that I wouldn't want a sword stuck in me; I also know that babies have similiar feelings to me (at least on this matter). Therefore, I would regard it as unethical to stick a sword in a baby because it is doing something to the baby that no rational baby or person would want done to them. Thus, my ethical theory is superior to the fundie Christian ones expressed here at least as far as the baby who you might stick a sword in, but I wouldn't, is concerned. Got it now?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Reason and empathy as I stated above (although Bbarr's question is a good one). For example, some of the Christians on this site think it's OK to stick a sword in a baby if God tells them to. But I know that I wouldn't want a sword stuck in me; I also know that babies have similiar feelings to me (at least on this matter). Therefore, I would re ...[text shortened]... st as far as the baby who you might stick a sword in, but I wouldn't, is concerned. Got it now?
Isnt that because although they have heard the word of the kingdom, they have not understood?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
16 May 05
1 edit

True knowledge. Not just possible knowledge.
Just as you claim that your ethical theory (Divine Command theory) is really and truly true, secular folk (like me) will claim that their ethical theories are true (really and truly). You think you know what is morally right and wrong, and I think that I know what is morally right and wrong. You think you have true knowledge (which is stupid, because all knowledge is of truths; nobody can know something that is false), and I think I have knowledge. If you think secular ethical theorists cannot 'ultimately account' for their claims, then apparently you are in the same boat.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
17 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Look at it this way: The Theist Ethic arises out of fear of Hell and hope of Heaven. The Ethical Atheist believes that Ethics are worth having for their own sake.
So, there is nothing wrong with Atheism, provided of course that the Atheist in question is an ethical person.
Clear?
That poses a couple of questions :
Can an Atheist have learned the word of the kingdom by other means, and understood it.?
Can a Thiest have heard the word of the kingdom and understood it not?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
17 May 05
1 edit

I am thinking of the Dostoyevsky quote, from The Brothers Karamozov, I think, in which one of the characters opines that, if God does not exist, th ...[text shortened]... undly true. So what is the basis of an Atheistical ethical theory?
Even if everything was "permitted" because the god wasn't watching/didn't exist, that doesn't mean all people would act like killers. There are ethical atheists.
So, what is the basis? Some people's human nature for starts. Empathy.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
That poses a couple of questions :
Can an Atheist have learned the word of the kingdom by other means, and understood it.?
Can a Thiest have heard the word of the kingdom and understood it not?
Is the Bible the sole source of ethics in the world?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Is the Bible the sole source of ethics in the world?
Of course not.
Buddhists, taoists, hindus, and many others lay claim to ethical systems based on works other than the bible.
What never ceases to amaze me is that a religion essentially based on the principle - Jesus's new commandment - that you should love your neighbour as you love yourself, or treat others as you expect to be treated, can continue to give rise to people who seem to hate others who don't correspond to their belief system.
It's one - amongst many things - that have led me to atheism in the first place.
And I should say, that as a father myself, I can quite easily say that being an atheist DOES NOT leave me without morals or an ethical system of values. Quite the opposite - it forces me to engage very closely with my values and really be able to sensibly justify them.