What is a

What is a "Soul"?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
Your body can eventually go into Heaven, God is capable of "Remaking" it, and the the spirit would be your will.
I guess the question here is whether this "Remaking" is physical or "spiritual" . I certainly dont want another physical body like this one after this one has expired. But thats just me...

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by Lord Shark
Are you saying god is incapable of reconstituting your body from ash? Compared to creating reality itself, it would be a trifle.
No I think it is irrelevant. I think God could do either. if the body is totally destroyed does not matter.

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by menace71
No I think it is irrelevant. I think God could do either. if the body is totally destroyed does not matter.
Manny
The real issue which no theist actually likes to discuss is whether the mind can be reconstructed and exactly what mind is reconstructed and whether you really have any interest in that taking place. Most people have this sort of vague concept of a continuation of their consciousness after death and into heaven or paradise etc, but they refuse to actually think it through and deal with the various problems with such a view.

Moves
21 Jul 09
1 edit

Manny[/b]
Originally posted by menace71

No I think it is irrelevant.
Then why did you raise it? (Pardon the pun.)

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
The real issue which no theist actually likes to discuss is whether the mind can be reconstructed and exactly what mind is reconstructed and whether you really have any interest in that taking place. Most people have this sort of vague concept of a continuation of their consciousness after death and into heaven or paradise etc, but they refuse to actually think it through and deal with the various problems with such a view.
I think it would have to be that you would have the same consciousness otherwise you wouldn't be the same person.
The ones that were resurrected in the Bible were still the same as they were before.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by galveston75
I think it would have to be that you would have the same consciousness otherwise you wouldn't be the same person.
The ones that were resurrected in the Bible were still the same as they were before.
Easy to say, not so easy to actually explain.
So when you say "the same consciousness" which point in time would my consciousness be the same as? (remember that my consciousness is constantly changing).
Would it be from my point of death?
Would it be from a chosen point during my life?
If I went mad 1 year before I died, would I be mad when I was resurrected? If not then I wouldn't have the same consciousness would I?

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Easy to say, not so easy to actually explain.
So when you say "the same consciousness" which point in time would my consciousness be the same as? (remember that my consciousness is constantly changing).
Would it be from my point of death?
Would it be from a chosen point during my life?
If I went mad 1 year before I died, would I be mad when I was resurrected? If not then I wouldn't have the same consciousness would I?
I'm not sure whether questions of continuity and identity pose more of a difficulty for the bodily resurrection without immortal soul model than they do for the soul based resurrection idea.

This is because we can ask what is it that the soul consists in. Does it archive our personality? If not, in what way will my personal identity survive? If so, then your questions have the same relevance, so if I go mad one year before I die, is my soul mad afterwards?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Jul 09
1 edit

I'm not sure whether questions of continuity and identity pose more of a difficulty for the bodily resurrection without immortal soul model than they do for the soul based resurrection idea.

This is because we can ask what is it that the soul consists in. Does it archive our personality? If not, in what way will my personal identity survive? If so, th ...[text shortened]... tions have the same relevance, so if I go mad one year before I die, is my soul mad afterwards?
Well the Bible says that death is like a deep sleep. Obviously that would not apply to the body or soul as it dies and goes back to dust. So that would refer to our personalities, memories or just "yourself" that God remembers and will put that part of us back in the new resurrected body in the future.
So as far as our understanding it would be like being asleep and then waking up either an hour or for many decades later. We are still who we are in all thought process.
And it would probably be a cruel thing if God resurrected us in some terrible unhealthy condition that we may had died in, such as in a car crash. As a loving God let's hope he will correct any unhealthful things that could cause us to die again or suffer unjustly.

Moves
21 Jul 09

Well the Bible says that death is like a deep sleep. Obviously that would not apply to the body or soul as it dies and goes back to dust. So that would refer to our personalities, memories or just "yourself" that God remembers and will put that part of us back in the new resurrected body in the future.
So as far as our understanding it would be like be ...[text shortened]... e he will correct any unhealthful things that could cause us to die again or suffer unjustly.
I thought of some of those answers as well. God could choose to reconstitute our bodies in some optimal form and since we would have been dead in the interim we would have no experience between death and resurrection, so I agree it would have that in common with a deep dreamless sleep.

If god reconstitutes our bodies including our brain in such a state that it could access our memories and think like we did before then god doesn't have to put anything else back as far as I can see.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Jul 09
3 edits

I thought of some of those answers as well. God could choose to reconstitute our bodies in some optimal form and since we would have been dead in the interim we would have no experience between death and resurrection, so I agree it would have that in common with a deep dreamless sleep.

If god reconstitutes our bodies including our brain in such a state ...[text shortened]... d think like we did before then god doesn't have to put anything else back as far as I can see.
I believe you might have it my Dear Watson.... 🙂 That could be seen when Lazurus was brought back to life. Even though he was dead only a short period, he was still the same person mentally and knew all his surroundings as well as all his friends and family.

d

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I guess the question here is whether this "Remaking" is physical or "spiritual" . I certainly dont want another physical body like this one after this one has expired. But thats just me...
There is no such thing as a "spiritual body" you have a soul, but God won't have to "remake" that.

Moves
21 Jul 09

There is no such thing as a "spiritual body" you have a soul, but God won't have to "remake" that.
I think it is impolite to leave questions unanswered without any explanation. A while ago I asked you 'how do you know?'. But you didn't answer.

d

Moves
22 Jul 09

I think it is impolite to leave questions unanswered without any explanation. A while ago I asked you 'how do you know?'. But you didn't answer.
"How do I know", what? I'm sorry.

Moves
22 Jul 09

"How do I know", what? I'm sorry.
I asked you "How do you know god made us?" a while ago, but you didn't answer. it was on the creation/evolution thread, I suspect you might have become confused about who had said what.

The same question could apply to a lot of your posts though. You think you know the truth, but I haven't seen any account as to why you think this is so.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jul 09

And it would probably be a cruel thing if God resurrected us in some terrible unhealthy condition that we may had died in, such as in a car crash. As a loving God let's hope he will correct any unhealthful things that could cause us to die again or suffer unjustly.
If you go to sleep mad, you will probably wake up mad.
If you loose a memory - say you forget what you did on your 2nd birthday - is that a "unhealthy condition"?
What if you loose most of your memories (Alzheimers). Is that an "unhealthy condition"?
You appear to be saying that if you lost your memory at say age 70, then die at age 80, God will restore your memories back to age 70. Am I correct? So God will not be resurrecting the you aged 80 but the you aged 70?
What about those who are born with such "unhealthful" conditions or spend most of their lives with them. If someone has schizophrenia from the age of 5 and for the rest of his life will he be resurrected aged 5?