What is a

What is a "Soul"?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by galveston75
Why should you not expect proof from the Bible? Where else would you want to find it? Certinally not from man who is mostly confused about spiritual things. The answers are all in the Bible. One just has to really want it and listen to the scriptures and prove what you believe by it. Not mans ideas. The Bible is not open to any private interpretations.
Sure, the Bible should answer such questions. What I am saying is that it does not prove Rajk's strange belief about the afterlife.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by Lord Shark
[b](and I will take it for granted that bodily resurrection requires the continuity of the existence of a soul.)
It doesn't though.[/b]
Whatever. Thankyou for the erudite argument to prove it. It seems clear to me that the biblical authors did not distinguish soul from life. Different biblical translations, for example, have rendered Ezekiel 18:4 (which Rajk has quoted) with 'life' and others with 'soul'.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 09

The Bible also says: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.” (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20)

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 09

The expression “returning to the dust” reminds us of God’s statement to the first human: “Dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Genesis 3:19) This means that humans, like animals, are physical creatures. We are not spirits that merely inhabit a body of flesh. Our thinking faculties cannot survive the destruction of our body. Of a man who dies, the Bible says: “He breathes his last breath, he returns to the dust; and in that same hour all his thinking ends.”—Psalm 146:4, The New English Bible.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 09

What condition does that leave the dead? God’s Word gives a clear answer: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
Whatever. Thankyou for the erudite argument to prove it. It seems clear to me that the biblical authors did not distinguish soul from life. Different biblical translations, for example, have rendered Ezekiel 18:4 (which Rajk has quoted) with 'life' and others with 'soul'.
I'm prepared to offer an argument if you wish, but a moment's thought on your part should suffice for you to realise that nothing that you have cited regarding bodily resurrection entails the continuity of existence of the soul. In fact, if 'soul' is to be equated with 'life' then bodily resurrection implies that people die, which entails a discontinuity of life and hence, on that interpretation, soul as well.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 09
1 edit

What condition does that leave the dead? God’s Word gives a clear answer: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5)
These scriptures, not my opinion, says exactly what happens to the dead. Your dead with no thoughts. The breath of life that we all have from God, goes back to him.
The thing here for some of you is confusion as to what exactly the Soul is? It can only be or mean one thing. The confusion of what it is only comes from us because we know God isn't confused and he wouldn't have scriptures contradict themselves in the Bible. That never happens. So it's up to us to figure out why it's confusing and do some deep research as to what the original wording meant in the Greek and Hebrew languages of the Bible. Only there will you get the correct explinations as to what the Soul is...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jul 09

Originally posted by Lord Shark
I'm prepared to offer an argument if you wish, but a moment's thought on your part should suffice for you to realise that nothing that you have cited regarding bodily resurrection entails the continuity of existence of the soul. In fact, if 'soul' is to be equated with 'life' then bodily resurrection implies that people die, which entails a discontinuity of life and hence, on that interpretation, soul as well.
Produce your argument then. So far I have been waiting for the thrilling moment.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jul 09

How is that to be reconciled with Jesus' statement at Calvary that he will meet with the criminal in paradise?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
20 Jul 09

Produce your argument then. So far I have been waiting for the thrilling moment.
Do those scriptures I just posted mean nothing? Do you not understand them when you read them?????

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
20 Jul 09

How is that to be reconciled with Jesus' statement at Calvary that he will meet with the criminal in paradise?
Can not Jesus with the power he has not rule his Kindom on earth from heaven? Can he not have affect on humans from heaven?
Anther scripture to read and try to understand that he will never come back to earth is Acts 13:34. It says that he, Jesus, will never return to corruption. The human body by nature can be corrupted even by death as he was before.
2 Thes 1:7-9 shows he will rule from heaven.
As far as the thief that died along side him. Jesus was correct with what he said, The evildoer would be in the presence of Jesus's effects and rulership of his Kingdom just as any subjects would be with or under the rule of any King.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
20 Jul 09
1 edit

9And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.

10And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them.

11They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."

Acts 1:9-11
There is no argument for what this says. This same Jesus will Come in the same way as you watched Him go! I guess you can argue about if he was flesh or not but You can't argue How he will return.

Manny

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jul 09
1 edit

Can not Jesus with the power he has not rule his Kindom on earth from heaven? Can he not have affect on humans from heaven?
Anther scripture to read and try to understand that he will never come back to earth is Acts 13:34. It says that he, Jesus, will never return to corruption. The human body by nature can be corrupted even by death as he was befor and rulership of his Kingdom just as any subjects would be with or under the rule of any King.
The evildoer would be in the presence of Jesus's effects and rulership of his Kingdom just as any subjects would be with or under the rule of any King.

But, according to you, the criminal returns to dust and his existence is discontinued entirely. In the Scripture, however, Jesus explicitly states that the criminal will be with him in paradise -- not under the effects of his rulership, but truly present next to him.

Menace also raises another passage problematic for you. Moses and Elijah appear next to Jesus. Yet the Scriptures plainly indicate that Moses died (finally seeing the face of God), although Elijah supposedly ascended into heaven on a chariot of fire. This too would seem to suggest a life beyond bodily existence.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
20 Jul 09

[b]The evildoer would be in the presence of Jesus's effects and rulership of his Kingdom just as any subjects would be with or under the rule of any King.

But, according to you, the criminal returns to dust and his existence is discontinued entirely. In the Scripture, however, Jesus explicitly states that the criminal will be with him in paradise -- ...[text shortened]... nto heaven on a chariot of fire. This too would seem to suggest a life beyond bodily existence.[/b]
All good points. Also There is a spot were Jesus is talking with the Saducess they did not believe in the resurrection. Jesus tells them they are mistaken that God is the father of Abraham,Issac & Jacob that God is the God of the living not the dead. Meaning they Abraham Issac and Jacob are still alive somewhere.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
20 Jul 09

Mark 12:24-27 They are not dead. 24Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God? 25"For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 26"But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, and the God of Jacob'? 27"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; you are greatly mistaken."

That was it.