What Christians should believe ......

What Christians should believe ......

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Mar 05

For the liberal Christians:

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

Saint Augustine

Hmmm . . .

Moves
10 Mar 05

For "conservative" Christians:

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

Saint Augustine

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Mar 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Saint Augustine
Do you believe what you like and reject what you like from the Catholic Catechism?

Or do you believe it or reject it in its entirety?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Mar 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Saint Augustine
When St. Augustine referred to the "gospels" was he referring to those books of the New Testament with the teachings of Jesus or was he referring to the entire Bible including the murderous passages in the Old Testament?

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
10 Mar 05

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
10 Mar 05

Originally posted by sasquatch672
What I have to say is this: there is no doubt in my mind that God exists. There is also no doubt that the church - any church - is a creation of man and therefore wildly imperfect. Find God in your own way. Or don't.
Here here!

P

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
10 Mar 05

Believe in slavery

Titus 2:9-10
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, and not to steal from them

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by Jay Peatea
Believe in slavery

Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, and not to steal from them
Find me a christian and I'll find you a part of the bible that he's (or she's) ignoring because it's too inconvenient to follow.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Find me a christian and I'll find you a part of the bible that he's (or she's) ignoring because it's too inconvenient to follow.
Find me a Christian who doesn't think the Bible is inerrant, literal truth and I'll find you another Christian who will tell her she's ignoring those parts just because they're too inconvenient to follow, without regard to whether it makes any sense to follow them or not. (Same for other religions, too.)

The Apologist

Moves
11 Mar 05

Believe in slavery

Where exactly does it tell us to go out and get a slave?

I can take anything out of context and make it appear evil. Including the letter your mom wrote you for your birthday.

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius

I can take anything out of context and make it appear evil. Including the letter your mom wrote you for your birthday.

It doesn't, but it does imply that slavery is sanctioned, otherwise text like this wouldn't be in it.

The Apologist

Moves
11 Mar 05

It doesn't, but it does imply that slavery is sanctioned, otherwise text like this wouldn't be in it.
Paul was specifically addressing slaves who were under atheist masters. He told them this to set a Christian example for other slaves and for their master. Did Jesus come to set men free from the oppression of men or from the oppresion of sins? Don't make the same mistake the Jews made. Even with 2000 years of warnings, they were looking for a warrior king rather than a King to free them from their sins and give them the gift of eternal life.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Mar 05

Paul was specifically addressing slaves who were under atheist masters.
I don't see any reference to atheism in these verses.

The Apologist

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I don't see any reference to atheism in these verses.
My apologies. I should have said non-Christian.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Mar 05
1 edit

That point is irrelevant. The verse says a slave should please his master in everything. Do you think a slave should try to escape from his master? Was the 'civil rights' movement wrong?