What can your church buy for $600 Million?

What can your church buy for $600 Million?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
15 Jul 07

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHURCH_ABUSE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
15 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by kirksey957
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHURCH_ABUSE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
"The archdiocese and its insurers will pay between $600 million and $650 million to about 500 plaintiffs"

500! That's a staggering number, and just for one diocese. Five hundred. Good God.

Better start passing that collection plate.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
15 Jul 07

"The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
15 Jul 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
"The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods [b]when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."[/b]
The fact that they "need" that type of insurance is an absolute travesty.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
15 Jul 07

The fact that it exists and someone's willing to sell it to them is a bigger travesty.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
15 Jul 07

"The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods [b]when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."[/b]
Praise Jesus they have finally started to exercise diligence -- protecting their business assets with insurance. I hope their policy covers loss due to Acts of God's Ordained.

M

Moves
15 Jul 07

The fact that it exists and someone's willing to sell it to them is a bigger travesty.
I was just reading an article written by a former priest who left the priesthood and started working for a law firm that prosecuted many of the sex abuse cases. He wrote:

"As the years wore on, I found out about archives within various dioceses where information was on sexual misconduct was stored. And that there's a budget set aside each year for these priest cases; it's just considered a cost of operation. It's expected. It's projected."

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
15 Jul 07

I need to know where I can get me some of that.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 07

Maybe the Church is afraid the priests would be sexually abused and would sue the Church...?

Nah.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Maybe the Church is afraid the priests would be sexually abused and would sue the Church...?

Nah.
I have neither flood nor earthquake insurance. The chances of there being a flood or earthquake are so minimal that there's no need for the insurance.

Hmmm...

Orillia, Ontario

Moves
21 Jul 07

I know I'm going to get clobbered.
What about the thousands of good priests and clergy that do good work? I know that it's easy to bash catholics because our church is the largest but we've done a lot more good then harm.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Jul 07

Originally posted by rickgarel
What about the thousands of good priests and clergy that do good work? I know that it's easy to bash catholics because our church is the largest but we've done a lot more good then harm.
Don't be so sure of that!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jul 07

Yes, 2000 years of repression, God's gift to the world.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
21 Jul 07
1 edit

I've already made that speech more than once. This thread isn't about them...

edit: correction: I've made the speech about good priests or even not-bad priests. I'd never say the RCC has done more good than harm though.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Yes, 2000 years of repression, God's gift to the world.
Do you think there is any other institution made by man that has been more repressive?