What about Onan?

What about Onan?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
26 Oct 09

"Many people are under the impression that the Bible specifically forbids masturbation. In reality, the Bible does not even mention masturbation. The story of Onan (Genesis 38:7-10) is always cited as an example of how God will punish masturbators; this is where we get the term “Onanism,” which refers to masturbation. However, the story of Onan has absolutely nothing to do with masturbating. After his brother died, Onan was commanded by God to impregnate his brother’s wife. Onan had sex with her, but defied God by pulling out before he ejaculated so she wouldn’t get pregnant. His seed spilled on the ground – due to coitus interruptus, not masturbation – but this detail became equated with masturbation by those who apparently had their own agenda."

What are your thoughts on what is arguably God's best gift to us?

F

Moves
26 Oct 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love.
(Annie Hall)

We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to free his hands for masturbation.
(Lily Tomlin)

Masturbation: Shaking hands with the unemployed.
(George Carlin)

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Oct 09

"Many people are under the impression that the Bible specifically forbids masturbation. In reality, the Bible does not even mention masturbation. The story of Onan (Genesis 38:7-10) is always cited as an example of how God will punish masturbators; this is where we get the term “Onanism,” which refers to masturbation. However, the story of Onan has ...[text shortened]... their own agenda."

Looks like a clear case of 'coitus interruptus'.
Wont be the first time so-called religious experts are wrong.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
26 Oct 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to free his hands for masturbation.
(Lily Tomlin)
That adds a whole new meaning to 'walking erect.'

Moves
26 Oct 09

The impetus behind homo erectus?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Oct 09

Onan spilled his seed. When you masturbate, where does it go? If it is not into your brother's wife, you best stay out of the storm.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love.
(Annie Hall)

(Lily Tomlin)

Masturbation: Shaking hands with the unemployed.
(George Carlin)
🙂 Thats been worth getting out of bed for.
I think I've already expoused my views on masturbation elsewhere and I don't want to upset this nice , funny, vibe I'm getting here....

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
27 Oct 09

What if my brother doesn't have a wife? Where is the best place to spill my seed?

s

England

Moves
27 Oct 09

im forgeful of the original but i think it was because he disobeyed god that was behind the story. but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry

F

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by stoker
im forgeful of the original but i think it was because he disobeyed god that was behind the story. but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry
God wants us to masturbate: http://www.sexinchrist.com/masturbation.html

Cape Town

Moves
27 Oct 09

Onan had sex with her, but defied God by pulling out before he ejaculated so she wouldn’t get pregnant. His seed spilled on the ground – due to coitus interruptus, not masturbation – but this detail became equated with masturbation by those who apparently had their own agenda."
Surely his crime was that he disobeyed God in not getting the woman pregnant? How he went about not getting her pregnant surely is irrelevant.
The real question is what the moral implications are of God telling someone to sleep with his brothers wife, and why anyone would want to follow the commands of such a God anyway - unless perhaps he is dishing out licences for adultery to the rest of us too?

Cape Town

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by stoker
but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry
Where does it show that? I thought it was God that was encouraging the fornication in this instance.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Surely his crime was that he disobeyed God in not getting the woman pregnant? How he went about not getting her pregnant surely is irrelevant.
The real question is what the moral implications are of God telling someone to sleep with his brothers wife, and why anyone would want to follow the commands of such a God anyway - unless perhaps he is dishing out licences for adultery to the rest of us too?
The brother was dead. He was sleeping with his brother's widow. It wasn't adultery.

Onan was supposed to 'raise up an heir' for his brother.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The brother was dead. He was sleeping with his brother's widow. It wasn't adultery.

Onan was supposed to 'raise up an heir' for his brother.
I see. It makes more sense now. It was still sex outside marriage, but not so bad I suppose.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
28 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
I see. It makes more sense now. It was still sex outside marriage, but not so bad I suppose.
Actually, he was to marry her, too. But the whole story is strange. First, God offs the firstborn, Er, for some mysterious reason [he is 'wicked', though we are not told what he did to merit the label]. Then, God offs Onan. Then the woman, Tamar, pretends to be a whore so Er and Onan's father, Judah, will bang her and give her a child.

I have no idea why God didn't kill Judah while he was at it. You'd think, if he hates a guy who doesn't finish the job in bed, he'd really get pissed off at someone who bangs their own daughter-in-law.