1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 20:47
    "Many people are under the impression that the Bible specifically forbids masturbation. In reality, the Bible does not even mention masturbation. The story of Onan (Genesis 38:7-10) is always cited as an example of how God will punish masturbators; this is where we get the term “Onanism,” which refers to masturbation. However, the story of Onan has absolutely nothing to do with masturbating. After his brother died, Onan was commanded by God to impregnate his brother’s wife. Onan had sex with her, but defied God by pulling out before he ejaculated so she wouldn’t get pregnant. His seed spilled on the ground – due to coitus interruptus, not masturbation – but this detail became equated with masturbation by those who apparently had their own agenda."

What are your thoughts on what is arguably God's best gift to us?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 20:562 edits
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love.
    (Annie Hall)

We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to free his hands for masturbation.
    (Lily Tomlin)

Masturbation: Shaking hands with the unemployed.
    (George Carlin)
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 20:57
    "Many people are under the impression that the Bible specifically forbids masturbation. In reality, the Bible does not even mention masturbation. The story of Onan (Genesis 38:7-10) is always cited as an example of how God will punish masturbators; this is where we get the term “Onanism,” which refers to masturbation. However, the story of Onan has ...[text shortened]... their own agenda."

Looks like a clear case of 'coitus interruptus'.
    Wont be the first time so-called religious experts are wrong.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 21:12
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to free his hands for masturbation.
    (Lily Tomlin)
    That adds a whole new meaning to 'walking erect.'
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:41
    The impetus behind homo erectus?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:47
    Onan spilled his seed. When you masturbate, where does it go? If it is not into your brother's wife, you best stay out of the storm.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 01:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love.
    (Annie Hall)

(Lily Tomlin)

Masturbation: Shaking hands with the unemployed.
    (George Carlin)
    🙂 Thats been worth getting out of bed for.
    I think I've already expoused my views on masturbation elsewhere and I don't want to upset this nice , funny, vibe I'm getting here....
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 10:50
    What if my brother doesn't have a wife? Where is the best place to spill my seed?
  9. England
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:26
    im forgeful of the original but i think it was because he disobeyed god that was behind the story. but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:29
    Originally posted by stoker
    im forgeful of the original but i think it was because he disobeyed god that was behind the story. but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry
    God wants us to masturbate: http://www.sexinchrist.com/masturbation.html
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:32
    Onan had sex with her, but defied God by pulling out before he ejaculated so she wouldn’t get pregnant. His seed spilled on the ground – due to coitus interruptus, not masturbation – but this detail became equated with masturbation by those who apparently had their own agenda."
    Surely his crime was that he disobeyed God in not getting the woman pregnant? How he went about not getting her pregnant surely is irrelevant.
    The real question is what the moral implications are of God telling someone to sleep with his brothers wife, and why anyone would want to follow the commands of such a God anyway - unless perhaps he is dishing out licences for adultery to the rest of us too?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:33
    Originally posted by stoker
    but one thing it does show that god has no problem with sex, but with our fornification of it, ie adultry
    Where does it show that? I thought it was God that was encouraging the fornication in this instance.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 16:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely his crime was that he disobeyed God in not getting the woman pregnant? How he went about not getting her pregnant surely is irrelevant.
    The real question is what the moral implications are of God telling someone to sleep with his brothers wife, and why anyone would want to follow the commands of such a God anyway - unless perhaps he is dishing out licences for adultery to the rest of us too?
    The brother was dead. He was sleeping with his brother's widow. It wasn't adultery.

Onan was supposed to 'raise up an heir' for his brother.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 19:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The brother was dead. He was sleeping with his brother's widow. It wasn't adultery.

Onan was supposed to 'raise up an heir' for his brother.
    I see. It makes more sense now. It was still sex outside marriage, but not so bad I suppose.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:271 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I see. It makes more sense now. It was still sex outside marriage, but not so bad I suppose.
    Actually, he was to marry her, too. But the whole story is strange. First, God offs the firstborn, Er, for some mysterious reason [he is 'wicked', though we are not told what he did to merit the label]. Then, God offs Onan. Then the woman, Tamar, pretends to be a whore so Er and Onan's father, Judah, will bang her and give her a child.

I have no idea why God didn't kill Judah while he was at it. You'd think, if he hates a guy who doesn't finish the job in bed, he'd really get pissed off at someone who bangs their own daughter-in-law.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree