Waters of the Deep

Waters of the Deep

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
14 Jun 14
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship
I suppose your concept of a "loving" God is one who should allow anarchy of evil doing to spread unchecked.
No, it would be one who uses their alleged limitless power to keep the "anarchy of evil doing" from happening in the first place.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jun 14

Originally posted by PatNovak
Besides the obvious problem of a mechanism to get all this water to quickly come to the surface, there is also the issue of what this water would do if it did reach the surface. Water at this depth is under enormous temperatures and pressures. If it were to rise quickly to the surface, I am thinking the likelihood of boiling oceans and scalding atmosphere would make a worldwide flood seem minor in comparison.
The greatest number of the Earth's volcanoes occur on the ocean floor.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/volcanoes.html

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jun 14

Originally posted by vivify
I suppose this is how a loving god destroys his children.
I suppose this is how a loving god destroys his children.

2 Peter 3:8-9 New American Standard Bible "8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance."

John 3;16 New American Standard Bible "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

vivify, "his children", those who have placed their faith in Christ for their eternal salvation, will share God's perfect happiness in heaven for eternity. You reject God's grace gift of eternal life: you choose to be separated from Him for eternity.

P

Moves
14 Jun 14

The pressure and boiling temps could provide a mechanism for propellling water to to the surface.

Also, isn't the temperature at the bottom of the ocean fairly cold? If so, this would cool the temps at least a little.
I thnk the average ocean depth is something like 4 km and they are talking about water that is 700 km below the surface. The temperature at that depth is something on the order of 900-1600 degrees F. I don't think it would matter much how cold the ocean was. I think it would be almost like mixing the ocean with an equal amount of lava.

P

Moves
14 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds

Obviously, the amount of lava that underwater volcanoes produce is negligible when compared to the total volume of water in the oceans. We are talking about doubling the amount of water in the oceans by adding extremely hot (and probably superheated or supercritical) water to the oceans.

rain

Moves
14 Jun 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
You reject God's grace gift of eternal life: you choose to be separated from Him for eternity.
I can say the same about you and Allah.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 14
1 edit

No, it would be one who uses their alleged limitless power to keep the "anarchy of evil doing" from happening in the first place.

Not at all necessarily. It might be a God of limitless power who allowed such a bad idea as rebellion to His will to run its course before eradicating it forever.

In other words, allowing free will to go down a wrong path so that afterward all his creation would know that that result didn't work - forever afterward.

IE a totally failed "experiment" .

rain

Moves
14 Jun 14

Originally posted by PatNovak
I thnk the average ocean depth is something like 4 km and they are talking about water that is 700 km below the surface. The temperature at that depth is something on the order of 900-1600 degrees F. I don't think it would matter much how cold the ocean was. I think it would be almost like mixing the ocean with an equal amount of lava.
Makes sense.

rain

Moves
14 Jun 14

Not at all necessarily. It might be a God of limitless power who allowed such a bad idea as rebellion to His will to run its course before eradicating it forever.

In other words, allowing free will to go ...[text shortened]... hat that result didn't work - [b]forever afterward.

IE a totally failed "experiment" .[/b]
In other words, God allowed the "anarchy of evil" to happen. Point made.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 14

Point exploited you mean.

Unlimeted power can exist with creaturely freedom of will.
You assume that God's great power calls for all His creations to be robots without a freedom to choose or reject Him.

Love can co-exist with righteous judgment.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 14

In other words, God allowed the "anarchy of evil" to happen.

Do you believe that God should be condemned that you may be justified ?

rain

Moves
14 Jun 14

Point exploited you mean.

Unlimeted power can exist with creaturely freedom of will.
You assume that God's great power calls for all His creations to be robots without a freedom to choose or reject Him.

Love can co-exist with righteous judgment.
So free will means letting men like Vlad the Impailer torture over a hundred thousand people in one of the most gruesome ways imaginable?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jun 14

I can say the same about you and Allah.
Believe in Allah, then. I do hope you realize the gravity of the issue and will reconsider your decision.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 14
1 edit

So free will means letting men like Vlad the Impailer torture over a hundred thousand people in one of the most gruesome ways imaginable?

There undoubtedly has been atrocities in human history.

You just criticized the flood of Noah as a cruel act of God.
You don't know how many similar things may have happened when "the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." (Genesis 6:5)

You just criticized God's doing something to judge evil.

Vlad the Impaler had the record of God's justice upon man's evil. God's attitude had not changed though he thought he was getting away with something.

Who has the last word?
God has the last word not only concerning Vlad but concerning vivify and sonship as well.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

I agree that Vlad was terrible. But if God is perfect righteousness, then degrees of extreme unrighteousness do not make your own unrighteousness not subject to perfect justice.

"You have heard that is was said to the ancients, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, Raca, shall be liable to the judgment of the Sanhedrin; and whoever says, Mored, shall be liable to the Gehenna of fire." (Matt. 5:21,22)

You see a problem is that you compare yourself to Vlad and think "At least I am not so bad."

But Perfect is Perfect. And God is no respecter of persons.
He is appalled at Vlad the Impaler.
But the fact that you can point out his immense evil doing does nothing to remove your own, though you may consider it removed because you compare yourself to Vlad.

God does not stand you up next to Vlad. He stands us all up next to Jesus Christ.

Did you ever get enjoyment by going to a horror movie ?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
14 Jun 14

Originally posted by RJHinds

The oceanic crust is thinner, and completely missing in at least one place, so more volcanoes are to be expected. This is different from 4 billion cubic kilometres of super-critical water suddenly popping to the surface, where it would explosively turn to steam. That would definitely kill all life.

To make a partial response to your earlier point, under 8 km of water the pressure would be 800 atmospheres, I doubt seeds would survive that even if the water was magically reduced to a survivable temperature.