1. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 15:59
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Water came to Earth by way of comets and asteroids. I maintain this knowledge is more compatible with the Quran than the Bible.
    Nobody is arguing that. The bible did not .. get it wrong.. , as you said, it is just silent on the matter.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 17:16
    @rajk999 said
    Nobody is arguing that. The bible did not .. get it wrong.. , as you said, it is just silent on the matter.
    'The Holy Bible is clear about water on Earth coming from below the ground. The Story of Creation told in the Old Testament's Book of Genesis tells of how God initially created Earth as a water-covered sphere, and then separated the waters from the waters to create the sky or atmosphere.

In support of the Creation Story is the Bible's account of the Great Flood survived by Noah and his family, which describes how "the fountains of the great deep" broke open and covered the entire globe with water.'

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/the-holy-bible-is-right-international-study-shows-water-came-from-beneath-the-earth/75797.htm
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 20:56
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    'The Holy Bible is clear about water on Earth coming from below the ground. The Story of Creation told in the Old Testament's Book of Genesis tells of how God initially created Earth as a water-covered sphere, and then separated the waters from the waters to create the sky or atmosphere.

In support of the Creation Story is the Bible's account of the Great Flood sur ...[text shortened]... rticle/the-holy-bible-is-right-international-study-shows-water-came-from-beneath-the-earth/75797.htm
    I'm wondering if this is an attack on taking the Bible too literally or an actual refutation attempt. Scientifically, the issue is somewhat murky. A significant point is that the Earth accreted less than 1% of her mass after the collision event that is believed to have formed the moon. This is significant as the deuterium to hydrogen ratio D/H of the Earth only increases with time as hydrogen is lost to space, deuterium is heavier and so lost at a slower rate. Comets have D/H ratios larger than the Earth does so it is highly unlikely they are responsible for all the water in the oceans. However, the critical point is that it seems that the Earth gained her water before she had finished forming. This seems to undermine your criticism of the Genesis account somewhat. However, as I said, the subject is murky and new evidence could strengthen your claims. Although, frankly, I'm wondering why an atheist, if that is what you are, is bothering to take on a mythology on scientific grounds. Mythologies shouldn't be expected to match scientific accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_water_on_Earth
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:40
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In January 2018, researchers reported that two 4.5 billion-year-old meteorites found on Earth contained liquid water. (Wikipedia, Origin of water on Earth, 2019). Water has also been evidenced elsewhere in the universe.

The Christian Bible tells us that God created water directly on Earth, however, the Quran more accurately tells us that God sent down water from ou ...[text shortened]... d the Quran get it right and the Bible get it wrong?

http://www.miracles-of-quran.com/water.htm
    Actually, the Christian Bible is condemned in other places for assuming that water was on Earth to begin with:

In Genesis 1:2 why does the verse refer to “over the surface of the deep” and “the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters?” Does this presume there was water at the beginning of God’s creation?

My 4th grade Sunday school student asked this question. I’ve researched but want to be sure I’m giving her a complete answer.

– G. C., TN

https://answersingenesis.org/kids/bible-questions/does-genesis-12-presume-there-was-water-at-creation/

How is water created in the Bible?

Well, this is Genesis 1 to 10:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. 6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day. 9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

Here we see the part where it is often inferred that the Hebrews thought that space was water, and sky separated us from the water that fills up space (the water under the vault and the water above it).

This all implies the concept that there is water throughout all of existence, and even creates a problem where a believer would theoretically have to put forth that Christians don't believe the universe is literally just water held back by a vault.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 01:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In January 2018, researchers reported that two 4.5 billion-year-old meteorites found on Earth contained liquid water. (Wikipedia, Origin of water on Earth, 2019). Water has also been evidenced elsewhere in the universe.

The Christian Bible tells us that God created water directly on Earth, however, the Quran more accurately tells us that God sent down water from ou ...[text shortened]... d the Quran get it right and the Bible get it wrong?

Just so I know, how do you know what is more accurate when it comes to creation, it isn't like you were there no matter how it was done.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 07:26
    @deepthought said
    I'm wondering if this is an attack on taking the Bible too literally or an actual refutation attempt. Scientifically, the issue is somewhat murky. A significant point is that the Earth accreted less than 1% of her mass after the collision event that is believed to have formed the moon. This is significant as the deuterium to hydrogen ratio D/H of the Earth only increas ...[text shortened]... be expected to match scientific accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_water_on_Earth
    "Mythologies shouldn't be expected to match scientific accounts."

When those 'mythologies' are put forward as 'truth' (as they have been here) then they absolutely should be held up to scientific scrutiny. (Especially by an atheist).
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 07:29
    @kellyjay said
    Just so I know, how do you know what is more accurate when it comes to creation, it isn't like you were there no matter how it was done.
    Sorry Kelly but we frequently come back to this proposition that we have to actually be there in person to understand something.

How little we would know as a species if that were the case.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 09:12
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Just reread the biblical account, I don’t see how the two sources are mutually exclusive.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 09:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Sorry Kelly but we frequently come back to this proposition that we have to actually be there in person to understand something.

How little we would know as a species if that were the case.
    I am asking you how you know, without being there you must have some reason to believe it. If all you are doing is it is acceptable due to my belief system, you know nothing about that topic but making an announcement about your beliefs.

If there is a cause what is it?

I can buy into God did it, unless you can show me something that isn't just a "just so story" meaning something that must be true, not because you or I want it to be.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 13:10
    @kellyjay said
    I am asking you how you know, without being there you must have some reason to believe it. If all you are doing is it is acceptable due to my belief system, you know nothing about that topic but making an announcement about your beliefs.

If there is a cause what is it?

I can buy into God did it, unless you can show me something that isn't just a "just so story" meaning something that must be true, not because you or I want it to be.
    I stand on the shoulders of giants.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:03
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    "Mythologies shouldn't be expected to match scientific accounts."

When those 'mythologies' are put forward as 'truth' (as they have been here) then they absolutely should be held up to scientific scrutiny. (Especially by an atheist).
    When you say "Mythologies are put forward as truth.", what do you understand by the word "truth"?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 23:57
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I stand on the shoulders of giants.
    Is that how you plan on getting away without answering the question? You have been hanging around the wrong people here. 🙂 I will get a ladder and follow you up!
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 07:10
    @deepthought said
    When you say "Mythologies are put forward as truth.", what do you understand by the word "truth"?
    Please don't bore me with pretentiously daft questions.

When someone speaks of things as 'actual events', such as humanity coming into existence with the creation of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, then that is a truth claim that I will hold up to scientific scrutiny. (As it flies in the face of what we know of human evolution).
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 07:14
    @kellyjay said
    Is that how you plan on getting away without answering the question? You have been hanging around the wrong people here. 🙂 I will get a ladder and follow you up!
    It was a perfectly valid answer Kelly. Human knowledge is built on the cumulative knowledge and discoveries of people who came before us. As I said, we stand on the shoulders of giants.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 09:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It was a perfectly valid answer Kelly. Human knowledge is built on the cumulative knowledge and discoveries of people who came before us. As I said, we stand on the shoulders of giants.
    Yea, not an answer others believe this so I do without being able to give a reason why that is simply I believe because the herd told me too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree