Was the execution of Jesus unjust?

Was the execution of Jesus unjust?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AH

Moves
11 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]====================================
not in my case -that “third matter” you speak of is “moral belief” which is something I don’t have. For me it is always the stronger instinct at the time that wins.
=====================================

========================================
sorry -just noticed that obviously simply not true and llusion ?

I'd like to see how that would go over at that school's next PTA meeting.
….In your daily reactions you must have your criteria for why the choosing of one course of action is "wiser" than the next ?
..…[/b]

Yes.

e.g. which would give the maximum amount of happiness and the least amount of stress in the long run etc.

….You are saying THOSE decisions have nothing to do with morality which you regard as illusionary.
..…

“THOSE decisions” of whom? Mine or “other people‘s”?
Obviously I wouldn’t deny that people often base decisions on what they believe is “moral” but that is obviously not how I base my decisions.

….A guy goes into a school and shoots up a group of children killing them. Do you think it is a wiser decision to inform that society in which this occured that moral values really do not exist ?
.…

Yes -why wouldn’t I?

…SHOULD the children who survived be taught latter that moral value is an illusion ?
..…
(my emphasis)

When you say “SHOULD” in the above, do you mean “morally should”?
-if so, the answer is neither yes or no! (because the question presupposes the existence of “moral” when no such thing exists) if not, why “should” (I would take "should" to mean "is it wise" in this case) the children be discouraged from having emotions against a unkind act? -I cannot see any reason.

j

Moves
11 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
….In your daily reactions you must have your criteria for why the choosing of one course of action is "wiser" than the next ?
..…

Yes.

e.g. which would give the maximum amount of happiness and the least amount of stress in the long run etc.

….You are saying THOSE decisions have nothing to do with morality which you regard as illusio ildren be discouraged from having emotions against a unkind act? -I cannot see any reason.
=========================
When you say “SHOULD” in the above, do you mean “morally should”?
===========================

To tell the truth I didn't give it much thought on what kind of "should" I meant. I just meant "should" with a view to the best education for the kids to function in society.

I guess you could take it any way you wish. I thought it was a pretty straight forward question.

j

Moves
11 Mar 09

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
..…

Yes.

….You are saying THOSE decisions have nothing to do with morality which you regard as illusio ...[text shortened]... ildren be discouraged from having emotions against a unkind act? -I cannot see any reason.
====================================
Yes.

When did you decide that you wanted to embrace a philosophy that moral values were all relative and that none really existed ?

Was there some point in your life when you became convinced that this had to be the truth ?

AH

Moves
12 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]====================================
Yes.

When did you decide that you wanted to embrace a philosophy that moral values were all relative and that none really existed ?

Was there some point in your life when you became convinced that this had to be the truth ?[/b]
….When did you decide that you WANTED to embrace a philosophy that moral values were all relative and that NONE really existed ?
..…
(my emphasis)

Answer -if I take that question literally -never!
I never “WANTED” to -just as I never “WANTED” to believe there is no god -my beliefs are not based on what I want!

By the way, when you say “NONE really existed” in the above, are you referring to “moral values”? -obviously I do not deny that people DO have “moral” beliefs! (i.e. they DO believe that action X is “moral”/“immoral” etc -I assume that what you mean by “moral values” is “moral beliefs"? ) Although I don’t believe it is meaningful to talk about what IS “moral”/“immoral”.

….Was there some point in your life when you became convinced that this had to be the truth ?
..…

Perhaps never! -depending on exactly what you are referring to by your first question.

If what you mean is when I came to believe that it is not meaningful to talk about what IS “moral” -when I logically deduced you cannot deduce a moral proposition from logic nor evidence.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
17 Mar 09

Originally posted by FMF
Was Jesus executed unjustly?
Obviously. There is no justification for the death penalty, what-so-ever.

Moves
17 Mar 09

Originally posted by FMF
Was Jesus executed unjustly?
In the context of his time, he was not executed unjustly.

If you're going to have a temper tantrum in a temple and upset the religious authorities, then in that time and place they certainly had the right and the reason to put him down, and they did.

In the modern context? No. But it's funny how some choose to update some Biblical accounts to fit in the present and not others.