Was Jesus Gay?

Was Jesus Gay?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
M.U.T.I

Moves
14 Feb 08

According to the U.S. Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) contains a passage which includes the following text. --

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Interesting.

n

Moves
14 Feb 08

He batted for both.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 08

Originally posted by abnoxio
Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".
I wonder what that is a euphemism for.

s

Moves
15 Feb 08

According to the U.S. Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) contains a passage which includes the following text. --

"And the youth, looking ...[text shortened]... with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Interesting.
You are a pervert mind. They were playing chess... nothing more

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by serigado
They were playing chess... nothing more
I wonder what opening Jesus used.

s

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
I wonder what opening Jesus used.
Bishop's Opening. Jesus trusts in his lackeys to do the job.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by serigado
Bishop's Opening. Jesus trusts in his lackeys to do the job.
Now we know why Jesus told his disciples to leave their wives and follow him.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Feb 08

Teenage silliness!

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
15 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Teenage silliness!
What teenager alive today was also doing field research in 1958?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
What teenager alive today was also doing field research in 1958?
What's this, a riddle?

Moves
15 Feb 08

"And the youth, looking ...[text shortened]... with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Interesting.
Does it matter if he was? Jesus being gay shouldn't change anything for religious Christians (but it would).

And anyway... I don't interpret it that way.

a
M.U.T.I

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by UzumakiAi
Does it matter if he was? Jesus being gay shouldn't change anything for religious Christians (but it would).

And anyway... I don't interpret it that way.
It would be so much easier for Christians and Christianity if they could somehow accept homosexuality. I know that some very liberal sects have, but when you do you have no choice to to stray from a literal interpretation of scripture. Which is probably a good idea anyway.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 08

Interesting.
These verses do not suggest anything gay. As with gnostic texts, one which claims that Jesus kissed Mary Magdalene on the lips, the sexual innuendo actually represents a spiritual intimacy. In this passage, the sexual connotation suggests roundaboutly that Jesus conveyed unique spiritual knowledge denied to other disciples.

j

Moves
16 Feb 08
1 edit

It would be so much easier for Christians and Christianity if they could somehow accept homosexuality. I know that some very liberal sects have, but when you do you have no choice to to stray from a literal interpretation of scripture. Which is probably a good idea anyway.
Why are you suggesting the "easier" way should be taken? We know that the way of discipleship will not be easy.

a
M.U.T.I

Moves
16 Feb 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
These verses do not suggest anything gay. As with gnostic texts, one which claims that Jesus kissed Mary Magdalene on the lips, the sexual innuendo actually represents a spiritual intimacy. In this passage, the sexual connotation suggests roundaboutly that Jesus conveyed unique spiritual knowledge denied to other disciples.
Yes it's true that apocryphal and gnostic texts are up for interpretation, just as the canonical. But my question is why are the canonical taken seriously while most mainstream Christians view these texts ( apocryphal and gnostic ,as well as gospels that were tossed out such as the Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Peter....etc) as heresy? Because of the Council of Nicaea's decision? Do people even understand this? Perhaps, and I find it likely, that Christianity started early a gnostic sect. And chips.