1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 17:483 edits
    @eladar said
    Am I Bishop Ussher? Did I ever claim he was correct? I do not claim any date is correct.

Now would you answer my question about how Adam came into being?
    There was no literal Adam. The Book of Genesis is not biological history. It is moral allegory. Adam is a placeholder for primitive man(kind). He represents the moment (and it may have taken tens of thousands of years) when mankind awoke to morality (the knowledge of good and evil). 'Adam' (= primitive man) had no knowledge of his own mortality. Recognizing one's own mortality is a precondition of moral sensibility. If men were immortal and knew they were immortal, there would be no such thing as murder. Mankind's awakening to its own mortality is a step on the road to moral responsibility, to recognizing that actions have consequences which cannot be undone, and some of which (e.g., murder) cannot be remediated.

This knowledge, of one's own mortality and of one's moral responsibility, is a kind of loss of innocence. Hence, man's banishment from the Garden. It was, in any case, a fool's paradise. A kindergarden. Time to grow up now.

You may view 'Adam' as the moment when God ensouled mankind's ancestors on the evolutionary tree. The date is irrelevant.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 17:56
    I wanted to date Creation but was too nervous about meeting the Father.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 18:121 edit
    @eladar said
    Am I Bishop Ussher? Did I ever claim he was correct? I do not claim any date is correct.

Now would you answer my question about how Adam came into being?
    My turn to pose a question now.

Would you say that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary and sufficient to man's salvation?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 18:38
    @moonbus said
    My turn to pose a question now.

Would you say that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary and sufficient to man's salvation?
    I would say that salvation is judged by God and as such is not limited to the Bible. This you would find in the Bible itself.

I see you are unwilling to actually answer the question. But hey, you did bring up something that is worthy of its own thread. Thanks
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 18:55
    @kevin-eleven said
    I wanted to date Creation but was too nervous about meeting the Father.
    I've also heard that she's really high-maintenance.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 19:03
    @eladar said
    I would say that salvation is judged by God and as such is not limited to the Bible. This you would find in the Bible itself.

I see you are unwilling to actually answer the question. But hey, you did bring up something that is worthy of its own thread. Thanks
    Of course salvation is judged by God. That wasn't the question. The question is: is everything needful to know about salvation in the Bible?

Most Christians would say "yes", unequivocally.

If the date on which creation occurred were needful to be known by man, it would be recorded in the Bible. It isn't, so it isn't.

The Bible records man's wherefore, not his whence. The only date that matters is the one when you face your Maker.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 19:05
    @moonbus said
    Of course salvation is judged by God. That wasn't the question. The question is: is everything needful to know about salvation in the Bible?

Most Christians would say "yes", unequivocally.

If the date on which creation occurred were needful to be known by man, it would be recorded in the Bible. It isn't, so it isn't.

The Bible records man's wherefore, not his whence. The only date that matters is the one when you face your Maker.
    I never said that we need to know the date of creation. I do not believe such a thing is needed at all.

You are trying to construct an argument when you are totally ignorant of what you are talking about. I am sure i
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 19:541 edit
    @eladar said
    I never said that we need to know the date of creation. I do not believe such a thing is needed at all.

You are trying to construct an argument when you are totally ignorant of what you are talking about. I am sure i
    Then your attempt to date creation is idle curiosity.

Sane as asking about the appearance of light in the universe.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 20:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 21:21
    @moonbus said
    Then your attempt to date creation is idle curiosity.

Sane as asking about the appearance of light in the universe.
    It is not an attempt, but to explain why doing so is impossible. But since you are unable to make any assumption other than your beliefs being truth, the attempt failed with you.

Yours is a typical point of view, it is that of the true believer. Congrats on being such a closed minded individual.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 21:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    She's a bit out of my league, I'm afraid.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 21:35
    @eladar said
    It is not an attempt, but to explain why doing so is impossible. But since you are unable to make any assumption other than your beliefs being truth, the attempt failed with you.

Yours is a typical point of view, it is that of the true believer. Congrats on being such a closed minded individual.
    Oh, goodie.

We get to see this same, idiotic tack swatted down again.

Eventually, even you will slowly realize that it leads absolutely nowhere, and then disappear from the forums again.

Or you will stay and give us more free entertainment.

So really, we can't lose.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 22:341 edit
    @eladar said

I have no interest whatever in dating the creation. I responded to your thread title and OP within the context of the Book of Genesis.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 07:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 08:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yeah ... her beauty is intimidating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree