1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jul '21 23:03
    @eladar said
    Supposing that the Earth was created by God as described in Genesis, how old would the Earth appear?

I am tring to clear up some basic assumptions. The first assumption would be to be able to calculate the age of the earth based on the time of creation.

I start off the another creation, Adam. How old would Adam have appeared an hour after creation? Would he appear to ...[text shortened]... oes not mean it was not created with nearly a billion years of evolution in place.

Just saying...
    The first day of creation was Sunday 23 October 4004 BC.

https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Jul '21 23:22
    @moonbus said

What an idiot.
    Not you, him lol 😀
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '21 23:22
    @moonbus said

Could be, but you could never tell by looking at nature. That was the point, not that you are likely to be able to understand the point that I am trying to make.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 11:201 edit
    @rajk999 said
    What an idiot.
    Not you, him lol 😀
    Yup. Nonetheless, his work, Annals, was considered, at the time and for a long time afterwards, to be quite an achievement. Although a Protestant bishop, even Catholics regarded the work as definitive. Some Young Earth Christians still accept the date as at least roughly accurate, that the Earth is about 6,000 years old.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 11:562 edits
    @eladar said
    Could be, but you could never tell by looking at nature. That was the point, not that you are likely to be able to understand the point that I am trying to make.
    If Adam looked up into the heavens and saw stars, the light from those stars must have been travelling towards Earth for some period of time. 186000 mi/s is the speed of light in a vacuum. So, if Adam was created on the sixth day and looked up at the night sky his first night, then the light he saw would have been travelling for at most five and a half or six days from those stars to reach Earth. Do the math: that tells you how far away those stars could have been, and by implication, the size of the infant universe as God created it.

60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours x 6 days = 518,400 seconds in six days.

518,400 seconds x 186,000 miles per second = 96,422,400,000 miles. That is how far away those stars were which Adam first saw in Eden.

This works out to 0.01640220 light years. That's the maximum radius the (visible) universe could have had at that time.

It's too small. Way too small. Many orders of magnitude too small. Pluto lies 4.67 billion miles (7.5 billion kilometers) from Earth, and the first stars Adam saw were supposed to be 96 billion miles away, only about ten times farther than Pluto? It's not even plausible.

So, to reconcile the size of the universe with Adam's having seen stars in the night, you would have to suppose that the universe is as big as modern science reckons it is (on the order of tens of billions of ly, not 0.016 ly), and that God created the lights Adam saw midway, already somewhere in the middle. In other words, the light did not emanate from stars at all, the light we think we see from stars was really just created in the middle somewhere, out of nothing. Sheer nothing. This would be deception on a cosmic scale. If the lights we see in the sky do not come from distant stars, then the universe is not divine, it's diabolical.

There were trees in Eden. We know because Adam was told not to eat the fruit of one of them. Trees have growth rings. If Adam had cut down a tree in Eden, how many growth rings would there have been? If he had cut one down on the first day of his life in Eden, would there have been ten or twenty years of growth rings, even though the tree was at most five or six days old? If so, there is a credibility problem.

Perhaps you want to say that God made the tree old, with growth rings from a past which never happened. And that God made the Grand Canyon old, and the sediments at the bottoms of lakes old, and fossils old, and the chambers in nautilus shells old (a nautilus grows new chambers as its body size increases), recordings from a past which did not happen. In that case, your God is a deceiver. On a cosmic scale.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 13:33
    @moonbus said
    If Adam looked up into the heavens and saw stars, the light from those stars must have been travelling towards Earth for some period of time. 186000 mi/s is the speed of light in a vacuum. So, if Adam was created on the sixth day and looked up at the night sky his first night, then the light he saw would have been travelling for at most five and a half or six days from those ...[text shortened]... ecordings from a past which did not happen. In that case, your God is a deceiver. On a cosmic scale.
    Excellent post .. more like a lecture. I hope he [they - YECs] sit down, take notes and resist the temptation to ask stupid questions now 😀

I think Eladar is not just a YEC, he also believes that the entire universe is the same 6000 yrs old. Incredible belief.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 15:55
    @moonbus said
    If Adam looked up into the heavens and saw stars, the light from those stars must have been travelling towards Earth for some period of time. 186000 mi/s is the speed of light in a vacuum. So, if Adam was created on the sixth day and looked up at the night sky his first night, then the light he saw would have been travelling for at most five and a half or six days from those ...[text shortened]... ecordings from a past which did not happen. In that case, your God is a deceiver. On a cosmic scale.
    So how did Adam come into existance? Was it by way of a sperm and egg and birth from a mother?

Answer this question correctly and you will start down the road to understanding.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:30
    @eladar said
    So how did Adam come into existance? Was it by way of a sperm and egg and birth from a mother?

Answer this question correctly and you will start down the road to understanding.
    There was no Adam. We evolved as a species.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    There was no Adam. We evolved as a species.
    This thread assumes the creation account is true. There would be no other reason to attempt to date Creation.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:47
    @rajk999 said
    Excellent post .. more like a lecture. I hope he [they - YECs] sit down, take notes and resist the temptation to ask stupid questions now 😀

I think Eladar is not just a YEC, he also believes that the entire universe is the same 6000 yrs old. Incredible belief.
    Sorry if it sounds like a lecture. The young Earth hypothesis is untenable for many reasons; I pointed out only a few.

Sensible people interpret the Book of Genesis as moral allegory, not geological/astronomical history.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:50
    @eladar said
    This thread assumes the creation account is true. There would be no other reason to attempt to date Creation.
    If creation is true then the whole process is several hundred million years.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:52
    @rajk999 said
    If creation is true then the whole process is several hundred million years.
    If it was done naturally, but if it was a result of a miracle, it would take as long as it took Jesus to turn water into wine.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:53
    @eladar said
    That is exactly what Bishop Ussher did. He assumed the Biblical account was true, and added up the ages of all the patriarchs named in the OT. “So-and-so begat so-and-so,” and so on: 4004 BC. Do you accept that date?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 16:54
    @moonbus said
    Sorry if it sounds like a lecture. The young Earth hypothesis is untenable for many reasons; I pointed out only a few.

Sensible people interpret the Book of Genesis as moral allegory, not geological/astronomical history.
    A good lecture, for sure. God is definitely having a good laugh at the way people are interpreting the creation account.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 17:202 edits
    @moonbus said
    That is exactly what Bishop Ussher did. He assumed the Biblical account was true, and added up the ages of all the patriarchs named in the OT. “So-and-so begat so-and-so,” and so on: 4004 BC. Do you accept that date?
    Am I Bishop Ussher? Did I ever claim he was correct? I do not claim any date is correct.

Now would you answer my question about how Adam came into being?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree