1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:231 edit
    @FMF

Recorded as truth. I gave you a break. I didn't say truth. I implied that the WRITERS CONSIDERED IT AS TRUTH.

Now do you want to tend to the question?

A book you say is absolutely given over and filled with superstition contains much DISCRIMINATING between non-superstition and superstition, which it usually puts in a negative light.

How did the writers have the foresight to do this discriminating?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:23
    @sonship said
    Just one example, Paul warning the Colossians not to be led astray by visions of angels or puffed up by sensational laden imaginative people.
    Paul?

Oh the irony.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:24
    @kellyjay said
    If everything they say is relative to them and everyone else, then that is either true or not. Can it be true, or does it fall apart as a self contradicting statement? If true than its true for everyone making it a absolute statement that is true for everyone, if its not true they are wrong and that is a false statement.

Truth, all truth, is not going to contradict itsel ...[text shortened]... one. If the line gets bent it is no longer straight, thus truth always corresponds to its reference.
    You are conflating “true” with objectivity.

You are using “relative” incorrectly as no one is talking about relative truth we are talking about objectivity and subjectivity.

Something that is true for you does not have to be true to everyone. Consider an element of quantum physics: it may be “true”, and it may be true to the physicist who discovered and understands it, but to everyone else it is nothing. Everyone else just takes the physicist at his word.

It’s the same with faith. By faith we may know something is true ourself, to to everyone else if is just us being subjective.

This really isn’t a difficult concept and you should not demean yourself by propping up fetchmybecker in his boring trolling.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:251 edit
    @FMF

Okay. You're just stalling for time I guess.

Nevermind. Get out of the way and let someone ELSE give a reasoned reply.

No longer interested in yours. Thanks for nothing.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:27
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    Now do you want to tend to the question?
    What question?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:28
    @sonship said
    @FMF

"Stalling for time"?

What are you asking me?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:29
    All I can see is some facetiousness.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:34
    @sonship said
    Nevermind. Get out of the way and let someone ELSE give a reasoned reply. No longer interested in yours. Thanks for nothing.
    Maybe KellyJay or dj2becker will come along and say something you agree with.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:53
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    You should start a blog where you post unchallenged to your hearts content. Perhaps KellyJay and suzianne will contribute by telling you how deep you are and how they agree with you. You could all thumbs up each other.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 15:02
    @divegeester said
    You question was a weak straw man. You should look up “Strawman argument” online.

This is why I don’t engage with you Daniel, other than you adding no value or substance whatsoever, you are a dishonest one trick pony-troll.

Stroll on matey.
    No surprise that you run off whenever a question has you on the ropes. Typical Dive. Jog on lad.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 15:57
    @dj2becker said
    “Relativism reduces every element of absoluteness to relativity while making a completely illogical exception in favor of this reduction itself. Fundamentally it consists in propounding the claim that there is no truth as if this were truth or in declaring it to be absolutely true that there is nothing but the relatively true; one might just as well say that there is no lan ...[text shortened]... elativity that is declared to be the only possibility.”

-Frithjof Schuon, Logic and Transcendence
    I agree it is on its face relativism is nothing but a contradiction with no escape. I believe how those who hold those views have been aptly described, as people with their feet firmly planted in nothing, thin air not grounded at all. What is being spouted here is that each of us has objective or subjective views. Individual's opinions and how people come to them are not addressing the truth statements! People have ideas, big deal who doesn't agree with that? Where the discussion is not being taken seriously is the reference of the truth claim itself! If that is true or false, that is the truth, not our opinions of it. I can claim the whole numbers 1+1=2, and through mathematics, what I think about that is a truth claim or statement. The nature of it really being actually right or wrong rests with the truth of that claim, not what I think of it. The statement itself is the topic, if true, will be true for everyone.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 16:12
    @dj2becker said
    No surprise that you run off whenever a question has you on the ropes. Typical Dive. Jog on lad.
    You’re trolling.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 20:042 edits
    @kellyjay said
    I agree it is on its face relativism is nothing but a contradiction with no escape. I believe how those who hold those views have been aptly described, as people with their feet firmly planted in nothing, thin air not grounded at all. What is being spouted here is that each of us has objective or subjective views. Individual's opinions and how people come to them are not add ...[text shortened]... laim, not what I think of it. The statement itself is the topic, if true, will be true for everyone.
    Why are you so utterly unable to discuss this topic with somebody who disagrees with you on it, and why instead do you keep pretending to be engaged in the discourse by interacting with someone with whom you agrees? What are you afraid of? What is it about this topic that causes you to be so completely hamstrung?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 07:40
    @fmf said
    Why are you so utterly unable to discuss this topic with somebody who disagrees with you on it, and why instead do you keep pretending to be engaged in the discourse by interacting with someone with whom you agrees? What are you afraid of? What is it about this topic that causes you to be so completely hamstrung?
    Do you think your ‘you are entitled to your subjective opinion’ ripcord indicates that you are well able to discuss things with people you disagree with?

On the plus side you’re not simply playing the troll card like Dive whenever he’s up against it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 07:42
    @dj2becker said
    Do you think your ‘you are entitled to your subjective opinion’ ripcord indicates that you are well able to discuss things with people you disagree with?
    I think I have presented my perspective pretty well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree