Top 20 (+/-1)

Top 20 (+/-1)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Aug 12

I enjoy talking to all except for a couple that get personal with insults. I hope they will change but time will tell. But thanks to you all for your input and opinions...

j

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Believe it or not, there was actually a conversion in this forum; someone became an atheist. I think his handle was TheSkipper or some such.
Bucky's confession of at least a change of heart:

For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and people of faith have come out of the woodwork with good will. It makes me see the good in people that I was blinded to before .Not to say that my non believer friends have not been very supportive and nice, but I'm amazed at how people that hardly know me take time out to offer a kind word. There is a spirit out there that I can feel through the kindness of people that melts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.

F

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by galveston75
I enjoy talking to all except for a couple that get personal with insults. I hope they will change but time will tell. But thanks to you all for your input and opinions...
I'm OK talking to anyone, even those who call me a "hater" or call my contributions "hate speech" or claim that their God figure "hates" me.

F

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by jaywill
Bucky's confession of at least a change of heart:
I interpreted Bucky's "change of heart" as being able to see the generosity of spirit in religious people, having been hard on them previously, and not as being a 'conversion' of any kind. I could be wrong.

F

Moves
21 Aug 12

List of posters who have changed their minds about what they believed from five years ago -

I come here to find out more about how other people think and to reflect on my own beliefs; that's why I'm a canvasser and a querier and not a preacher or ideologue.

Your comment above suggests that a weakness {perhaps} of this community is that there's virtually no one on the list of those "who have changed their minds about what they believed from five years ago".

I dare say it's an accurate observation. However, do you come here and participate while being open to having your mind changed from what you believed from five years ago? I think not. In which case, why do you place significance on others perhaps having the same approach certainty as you?

j

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
I interpreted Bucky's "change of heart" as being able to see the generosity of spirit in religious people, having been hard on them previously, and not as being a 'conversion' of any kind. I could be wrong.
That is how I interpreted it also. Good for him.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
21 Aug 12
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I come here to find out more about how other people think and to reflect on my own beliefs; that's why I'm a canvasser and a querier and not a preacher or ideologue.

Your comment above suggests that a weakness {perhaps} of this community is that there's virtually no one on the list of those "who have changed their minds about what they believed from five year why do you place significance on others perhaps having the same approach certainty as you?
I'd say jaywill places such significance on others having the same certainty as him because jaywill, like a number of other theists isn't actually here to debate - he's here to proselytise. This is evident when a question is asked of him and he presents the poster with a sermon
who probably didn\'t care for a multitude of scriptural quotes - along with jaywills\' interpretation of them
when all they wanted was a succinct resolution to some glaring problem they have with his dogma. He's also well trained (I expect) in dodging difficult questions in real life (whereby it is easier to manipulate the flow of spoken conversation than it is to manipulate people who will be sitting down with all the time in the world the pull his responses to pieces).

I have no doubt jaywill feels disappointed that he has failed his so-called master by not fulfilling some conversion target.

j

Moves
21 Aug 12
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF

Your comment above suggests that a weakness {perhaps} of this community is that there's virtually no one on the list of those "who have changed their minds about what they believed from five year why do you place significance on others perhaps having the same approach certainty as you?

There's a place for that here. There's room for your approach to talking.

And there is also room for preachers who have good things they want to teach others about. No apologies needed. They too can learn things important to them, by preaching.

Your comment above suggests that a weakness {perhaps} of this community is that there's virtually no one on the list of those "who have changed their minds about what they believed from five years ago".

I dare say it's an accurate observation.

It is pretty true all around on Internet Discussion boards. I think discussion boards attract a certain kind of people who basically come to "stand their ground" more than change their ground.

I recall the first time I got on the Internet back in the early 90s. I was so excited to be able to talk one on one to people about what I am excited about. I remember a certain ironic incident.

I joined this discussion group. As I was coming in one of the moderators was going out and leaving the board after 2 years already. I was the newbie excited to join. He was the leaving old timer having participated for two years. He wrote in his goodbye that in two years he had yet to see anyone change their mind about what their opinion was.

"That's strange." I thought to myself. Nevertheless, O boy! I'm here now. Well, I got to find out from experience what he meant. And I guess the memory of that enfluenced me to write that little post.

In all seriousness though, I have to say I have learned some things. And I may think about a few matters a little differently from having discuss them with people. So my core beliefs have grown stronger. But it would not be accurate to say I didn't change some thoughts about things. I have.

Who knows? You may have helped. You never know.

However, do you come here and participate while being open to having your mind changed from what you believed from five years ago? I think not. In which case, why do you place significance on others perhaps having

If you noticed FMF, I included my self in not having changed my mind. That is about core convictions.

However, I do have a few practices.

1.) I have no problem usually, admitting that a question is too hard for me to answer.

2.) I do not claim to have all the answers. I admit that with me there are some unknown matters.

3.) I have taken back things which were wrong in substance or I thought were wrong in tone.

4.) a few posters have received my apologizings. (Recently one did and trashed it. Such is life. )

Actually, I don't really know if anyone has changed their beliefs. My post was a little tongue in cheek based on the things people usually write.

I don't think knowing some truth is an elite matter that a few can proudly boast of. There is TRUTH to be made available. And some things can be known and be assured out without need for apology.

The Person who has made this above fact possible of Jesus Christ. And some aspects of real true truth are as free as the air around us. They are there for the taking.

That's what I know. True truth does exist. Now some people have been in the dark so long that they seem to be afraid of the light. They have their search also. But, true truth can be known concerning some vital matters. Jesus Christ has made that possible.

F

Moves
21 Aug 12

That's what I know. True truth does exist. Now some people have been in the dark so long that they seem to be afraid of the light. They have their search also. But, true truth can be known concerning some vital matters. Jesus Christ has made that possible.
If you have not changed anyone's mind in 6 years at RHP, what exactly has Jesus Christ made possible for you?

j

Moves
21 Aug 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
If you have not changed anyone's mind in 6 years at RHP, what exactly has Jesus Christ made possible for you?
Now, now, FMF, you don't know that. Jesus Christ has enlarged my heart. Jesus Christ has enriched my prayer. Jesus Christ has clarified His word. Jesus Christ has caused me to realized some things are worth fighting about and others are not, or should not consume too much time.

And best of all Jesus Christ has shown me that the word of God will not return void. It will accomplish something. It is never vain to speak the word of God to someone.

We really don't know who has come by, stopped, read, gone off and thought differently, for better or for worse. Two or three posters I continued to write in private.

No need to gloat that nobody listened to the Gospel if that is what you want to tell me.

I may be leaving soon though. Actually, some of us who have been real active, it might be nice to just stop writing for about a month. It would be interesting if about a dozen posters, including myself, just stopped writing. And we could see who comes up to post more frequently.

I would enter into pact to do that if a few others would cooperate. You would be one I think should join the little month long boycott. A few other heavy posters I would suggest stop for a season. But I would include myself.

j

Moves
21 Aug 12
1 edit

Here's a sample of one of your canvasing curious quieries ?

FMF, you say you're just here to canvas and ask some questions. But its funny that your questions are often with a barb. I always get the sense that there is a point in your question basically antagonistic.

I rarely get the sense that pure objectivity is behind your questions to a number of us.

j

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
And if I asked you "What have you learned FMF?"

I think I would get some variation on the theme that you have learned what you knew already, how crappy some Christians can be.

Right ? You got confirmed about how awful people who speak of Jesus are.
Right ?

F

Moves
21 Aug 12

I think I would get some variation on the theme that you have learned what you knew already, how crappy some Christians can be.

Right ? You got confirmed about how awful people who speak of Jesus are.
Right ?
I have never called you "awful". I look upon you as a joyless ideologue.

PH

Moves
21 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
Geez, he sounds like Fox Mulder...the truth is out there. Maybe we should start a podcast called the RHP files 🙂

F

Moves
21 Aug 12
1 edit

FMF: If you have not changed anyone's mind in 6 years at RHP, what exactly has Jesus Christ made possible for you?

Here's a sample of one of your canvasing curious quieries ?
It's a direct question in response to this from you:

"That's what I know. True truth does exist. Now some people have been in the dark so long that they seem to be afraid of the light. They have their search also. But, true truth can be known concerning some vital matters. Jesus Christ has made that possible."

You are clearly referring to yourself. You are not in the dark; others are in the dark; they are "afraid"; "true truth can be known"; that's what you purport to offer; "Jesus Christ has made that possible".

Hence my question: If you have not changed anyone's mind in 6 years at RHP, what exactly has Jesus Christ made possible for you?