Todays Bible study

Todays Bible study

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
3 edits

Todays Bible study is a truly awesome article entitled, 'Stand firm in the Faith' and it will be my pleasure as your host to study it with you. The format is we read a paragraph together, we look up the scriptural references and then I ask one or two questions. Ready, lets begin.

THE apostle Peter and some other disciples are struggling to row their boat across the Sea of Galilee during a nighttime windstorm. Suddenly, they see Jesus walking on the sea. Peter calls out to Jesus, asking if he could walk across the water to his Master. When Jesus tells him to come, Peter gets out of the boat and miraculously walks toward Jesus on the choppy surface. Moments later, though, Peter starts to sink. Why? He looked at the windstorm and became afraid. Peter cries out to Jesus, who quickly catches hold of him and says: “You with little faith, why did you give way to doubt?”—Matt. 14:24-32.

1. (a) What experience did Peter have during a windstorm on the Sea of Galilee? (b) Why did Peter start to sink?

Please post your answers below.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
1 edit

Peters experienced a lack of faith when he focused his attention away from Jesus onto the incoming storm. This is why he started to sink.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Peters experienced a lack of faith when he focused his attention away from Jesus onto the incoming storm. This is why he started to sink.
Excellent Mr. Carrobie.

Now let us consider three aspects of Peter’s experience related to faith: (1) how Peter first showed faith in God’s support, (2) why Peter began to lose faith, and (3) what helped Peter to regain his faith. Examining these points can help us to see how we can “stand firm in the faith.”—1 Cor. 16:13.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Nov 15

So, your 'hosted' Bible study was just for you and nobody else?

Did you just want to impress us that you knew the answer to your own question?

What exactly was the point of this?

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15

When Peter climbed out of the boat to walk on the water, he did so in faith. Jesus had called him, and Peter trusted that God’s power would support him just as it was supporting Jesus. Similarly, when we dedicated ourselves to Jehovah and got baptized, we did so because of our faith. Jesus called us to be his followers, to walk in his footsteps. We had to exercise faith in both Jesus and God, trusting that they would support us in various ways.—John 14:1; read 1 Peter 2:21.

Why did Peter climb out of the boat, and how have we done something similar?

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
So, your 'hosted' Bible study was just for you and nobody else?

Did you just want to impress us that you knew the answer to your own question?

What exactly was the point of this?
If you wish to join the study please do so. You may answer any questions that you like.

The point is that we will learn about our faith, how we can lose faith like Peter, how we can regain it by focusing on Jesus and we will look at specific areas which may demand from us more faith.

You will enjoy it if you simply put your prejudices away for the moment.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15

When Peter climbed out of the boat to walk on the water, he did so in faith. Jesus had called him, and Peter trusted that God’s power would support him just as it was supporting Jesus. Similarly, when we dedicated ourselves to Jehovah and got baptized, we did so because of our faith. Jesus called us to be his followers, to walk in his footsteps. We h ...[text shortened]... ad 1 Peter 2:21.

Why did Peter climb out of the boat, and how have we done something similar?
No one? You with the red bandanna again.

Peter climbed out of the boat in faith trusting that gods power would support him and we have done something similar when we trust that God will help and support us.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15

No one? You with the red bandanna again.

Peter climbed out of the boat in faith trusting that gods power would support him and we have done something similar when we trust that God will help and support us.
excellent Mr. Carrobie, you are very good student.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
2 edits

Faith is truly a precious possession.

Just as Peter’s faith enabled him to walk on water, our faith enables us to do things that from a human standpoint may seem impossible. (Matt. 21:21, 22) For instance, many of us have changed our attitudes and practices so drastically that we are almost unrecognizable to those who knew us before. Jehovah supported our efforts because we took these steps based on our faith in him. (Read Colossians 3:5-10.) Once our faith moved us to dedicate ourselves to Jehovah, we became his friends, something we could never have done in our own power.—Eph. 2:8.

Our faith continues to empower us. In faith we are able to resist the attacks of our superhuman adversary, the Devil. (Eph. 6:16) In addition, trust in Jehovah helps us to minimize our anxiety during challenging times. Jehovah says that when our faith moves us to put Kingdom interests first, he will provide for our material needs. (Matt. 6:30-34) More than that, because of our faith, we will receive a gift no human could ever obtain by his own efforts—everlasting life.—John 3:16.

Why is faith a precious possession?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 Nov 15

Faith is truly a precious possession.

Just as Peter’s faith enabled him to walk on water, our faith enables us to do things that from a human standpoint may seem impossible. (Matt. 21:21, 22) For instance, many of us have changed our attitudes and practices so drastically that we are almost unrecognizable to those who knew us before. Jehovah supp ...[text shortened]... er obtain by his own efforts—everlasting life.—John 3:16.

Why is faith a precious possession?
"Religion is the opium of the people."

Karl Marx

I guess you can consider opium a 'precious possession' as it certainly numbs the pain of reality and comforts those in coming to terms with the big questions of existence and mortality.

Yeah i know, i'm bottom of your Bible study class, but i do know where to score a joint.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
"Religion is the opium of the people."

Karl Marx

I guess you can consider opium a 'precious possession' as it certainly numbs the pain of reality and comforts those in coming to terms with the big questions of existence and mortality.

Yeah i know, i'm bottom of your Bible study class, but i do know where to score a joint.
please come in, take a seat and have your faith edified, there is no moralizing over other people here my friend.

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
2 edits

The wind and waves surrounding Peter as he walked on the water might be compared to the trials and temptations we face in our life of dedication to God. Even when these are severe, we can stand firm with Jehovah’s support. Recall that Peter did not sink because of a gust of wind or a big wave. Think back on the sequence of events: “Looking at the windstorm, he became afraid.” (Matt. 14:30) Peter lost his focus on Jesus, and then his faith wavered. We could begin to sink if we were to begin “looking at the windstorm,” focusing on its power and doubting that Jehovah will support us.

We should take seriously the possibility that our faith could diminish, for the Bible refers to a weakening of faith or loss of faith as “the sin that easily entangles us.” (Heb. 12:1) As Peter’s experience shows, our faith can quickly weaken if we focus on the wrong things. How can we tell whether we are in danger of that happening? Consider some questions that we can use to examine ourselves.

(a)To what might we compare the storm and waves that surrounded Peter? (b) Why should we take seriously the possibility that our faith could diminish?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
15 Nov 15

This is pretty much messed up...

rc

Moves
15 Nov 15
2 edits

Originally posted by shavixmir
This is pretty much messed up...
Messed up my friend! you have come to the right place, please come in, relax and have your faith built up! we are about to do some self examination.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
15 Nov 15

I think doubt is a much more worthwhile human attribute than blind, unquestioning faith.