To seek or to argue?

To seek or to argue?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you see yourself as an effective advocate of your Christian beliefs?
Yes. Maybe not of someone else's Christain beliefs, however. 😏

F

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes. [...]
Effective in what way? You seem to realize that you alienate people; is that your objective?

k

Moves
25 Oct 12

The atheists do not seek spiritual truth. They only want to argue against it, because they do not believe and have no respect for 'morons" like me, who do. I on the other hand do not respect those that do not respect that I can believe in the supernatural and spiritual and still be just as intelligent as the next person. When they argue from ignorance and ...[text shortened]... standing up for the truth of His beliefs.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
RJ, why as a Christian would you want to give it back with more degrading language, as you say, than you received. I see this action as something totally contrary to the cause of Christ (Matt 7:12). As for standing up for his beliefs, I believe Jesus to be truth, no need to stand up for it, people were changed in his presence, not because of some argument that he won. I think we sometimes feel we need to be right vs. just speaking the truth in love and letting the rest take care of itself. After all what did Jesus utter when being cruicified (Luke 23:24). What do you think?

-k

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by kd2acz
RJ, why as a Christian would you want to give it back with more degrading language, as you say, than you received. I see this action as something totally contrary to the cause of Christ (Matt 7:12). As for standing up for his beliefs, I believe Jesus to be truth, no need to stand up for it, people were changed in his presence, not because of some argument t ...[text shortened]... f. After all what did Jesus utter when being cruicified (Luke 23:24). What do you think?

-k
You claim you see my action as something totally contrary to the cause of Christ according to the following statement by Christ, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."
(Matthew 7:12 NKJV)

Before that Christ said, “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces."
(Matthew 7:6 NKJV)

And before that Christ said, "“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?"
(Matthew 7:1-3 NKJV)

Your next reference (Luke 23:24) is not to anything Jesus the Christ said while being crucified. So maybe you mean this:

Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
(Luke 23:34 NKJV)

That, of course, was the reason Christ voluntarily gave up His life, so we that believe might be forgiven of our sins. But only God can forgive sins.

Before this you said there was no need for Jesus to argue or stand up for the truth. Why did he bother arguing with the pharisee about the law and who He represented if it was not necessary?

And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”
(Luke 5:21-24 NKJV)

After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he left all, rose up, and followed Him. Then Levi gave Him a great feast in his own house. And there were a great number of tax collectors and others who sat down with them. And their scribes and the Pharisees complained against His disciples, saying, “Why do You eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Then they said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?” And He said to them, “Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days.”
(Luke 5:26-35 NKJV)

There are many cases in which Jesus the Christ argues with the Pharisees. I just gave an example in one chapter of Luke.

You asked me, "Why as a Christian would you want to give it back with more degrading language, as you say, than you received?" Well, isn't that following the example of Jesus the Christ when He calls the Scribes and Pharisees names such as hypocrites, blind guides, serpents, and a brood of vipers? For example:

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.’
“Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt. Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?"
(Matthew 23:29-33 NKJV)

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
25 Oct 12

Maybe you hit on something, I am after all comfortable with myself and feel no insecurity. Maybe we can say this .... Those interested in the exercise of common courtesy to one another, prefix your new threads with 'CC:' for common courtesy And let's see where it goes. When somebody does not agree with a point of view, let's try to learn from others. Our v ...[text shortened]... ne another. A novel idea in deed.

Mutual respect, can it be done in a chess forum?

-k
Hey kd2acz nice to meet you. Best of luck with your common courtesy idea - there must be some way to run a civilized discussion in this place, maybe that's it! Perhaps you could raise the idea in 'Site Ideas' and maybe even get the mods on-side too, get non-courteous posts deleted?

k

Moves
25 Oct 12
1 edit

You claim you see my action as something totally contrary to the cause of Christ according to the following statement by Christ, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."
(Matthew 7:12 NKJV)

(Matthew 23:29-33 NKJV)
RJ, I did misquote Luke, my dislexia is acting up again, sorry about that.

I think sometimes we get blind to our own routines, and when the new guy walks into the room, it is obvious to him what is not to everybody else... My whole purpose in starting this thread is to see if it were possible to have what I thought is civilized conversation without having to belittle our 'opponent' or 'degrade' others to make our point. Being new, sometimes fresh eyes see the obvious that others miss. To be honest... I have seen some donwright rude and hurtful exchanges amongst some members here, it don't need to be that way.

In short, I to try to treat others the way I want to be treated, with what our society has turned into, this is a hard thing to do sometimes. Golden Rule!

-k

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you mean he might - for example - be seeking to bring into disrepute the things he purports to profess?
Like the rest of us, he gets a little squirt of endorphins in his brain when he hits "Post" on a reply he thinks is a really good one.

T

Moves
25 Oct 12
4 edits

I think sometimes we get blind to our own routines, and when the new guy walks into the room, it is obvious to him what is not to everybody else... My whole purpose in starting this thread is to see if it were possible to have what I thought is civilized conversation without havi at our society has turned into, this is a hard thing to do sometimes. Golden Rule!

-k
Do you think it's enough for all parties to be "polite" or do you think all parties also need to bring openness, honesty (including intellectual honesty), forthrightness, etc.? From what I can tell, the lack of the latter is usually what precipitates the lack of the former.

For example, though I only skimmed some of the exchanges between G75 and FMF, it seems the reason that G75 is "hound[ed]...with the same question after question" is because of G75's refusal to bring the latter. That G75 has subsequently "played the victim" (as in this thread) makes his behavior all the more appalling

k

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Do you think it's enough for all parties to be "polite" or do you think all parties also need to bring openness, honesty (including intellectual honesty), forthrightness, etc.? From what I can tell, the lack of the latter is usually what precipitates the lack of the former.

For example, though I only skimmed some of the exchanges between G75 and FMF, ...[text shortened]... uently "played the victim" (as in this thread) makes his behavior all the more appalling
My experience is that people are the 'big man' or 'woman' behind a keyboard and talk, insult, and belittle in ways they would never do if they were standing in front of them, regardless of the topic.

I think, for starters, if people could act as if they were in the same room as another when discussing, debating, etc... this would be a good start.

As for poor behavior, if one cannot respect another with common decency... perhaps they should be ignored. When there is no communication with such a person, this person would ultimately conform because I think in forums, we all want to be heard and have interchange or they would leave.

What do you think?

-k

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

I think sometimes we get blind to our own routines, and when the new guy walks into the room, it is obvious to him what is not to everybody else... My whole purpose in starting this thread is to see if it were possible to have what I thought is civilized conversation without havi ...[text shortened]... at our society has turned into, this is a hard thing to do sometimes. Golden Rule!

-k
Yes, I understand the Golden Rule. However, many on RHP do not believe in the Golden Rule and so it only works if all abide by that. There is little chance of that happening in the society of today to our disappointment. That would be like us entering a war without weapons. We would be in a clear disadvantage. That is why Jesus told His disciples to sell their coats, if necessary, to buy a sword, because they were going to need it for the future.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Effective in what way? You seem to realize that you alienate people; is that your objective?
Correct! 😏

k

Moves
25 Oct 12
4 edits

Yes, I understand the Golden Rule. However, many on RHP do not believe in the Golden Rule and so it only works if all abide by that.
The Golden Rule always works, even if others don't practice it.

-k

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Oct 12

The Golden Rule always works, even if others don't practice it.

-k
A bit off topic, but what bands do you work? 73, AI3N.

k

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
A bit off topic, but what bands do you work? 73, AI3N.
I am only a technician at the moment, so it is local repeaters only. I am fairly new to the hobby, but am working towards General and Extra, and will probably be testing them together... then look out. Where do you operate, any bands on echolink?

-k

T

Moves
25 Oct 12
2 edits

My experience is that people are the 'big man' or 'woman' behind a keyboard and talk, insult, and belittle in ways they would never do if they were standing in front of them, regardless of the topic.

I think, for starters, if people could act as if they were in the same room as another when discussing, debating, etc... this would be a good start.

As fo ...[text shortened]... all want to be heard and have interchange or they would leave.

What do you think?

-k
Actually I was looking for you to respond to the question I raised which you seem to have chosen to ignore.

I'll be happy to the germane points of your post after you respond to my post in a like manner.