To read the bible, or not to read the bible?

To read the bible, or not to read the bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 13

didnt claim that, im not sure why you would draw that conclusion.

Okay. wrong conclusion. I mean no change other than a continuous desire to improve for the sake of reaching seeking and searching hearts for Christ.

i said that you seemed to be more patient when you had the jaywill tag. you seem a bit grumpy these days.

I'm uneven.

I may be terrible.
Don't wait for Mr. Perfect Christian to come by and tell you the good news.

Lots of Christians came my way before I accepted the Lord seriously.
None were perfect.

no need to explain your change of names. i didnt suggest that there was anything machiavellian about it. observing that it seemed to coincide with slight change in the way you post.

i dont mind you getting all sassy, we all do from time to time. i was just making the observation.

im always up for a game of chess.

Okay. I'll remember that.

Sorry to talk too much about myself.
Now, we were talking about the Lord Jesus ?!

Marvelous Lord and Savior He.

rc

Moves
22 May 13

Originally posted by Agerg
I tried to read the old testament once...I'll never get those hours back!
As for whether you should read it...why should you!? Why should anyone!?

If some sort of god or gods exist or existed then I say that for all notions of thing sourced either from scriptures, tribal elders, within, and so on... that they are all grossly deficient in their approximation to it.

The god associated with the Bible does not exist
evidence, nil.

e

Moves
22 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
evidence, nil.
if its any consilation i read a bit from proverbs this morning and it was not a waist of time at all. was just a page but informative.

i guess if its a chore its a waist of time?

w

Moves
23 May 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
If I wanted to follow Jesus, I would want to know what he really said. I would read many different books about him. I wouldn't just accept one version and dismiss all others.

It stands to reason that a name that commands influence can be twisted to the aims of the devious. The only defense is to gain information from a variety of sources.

Fi ...[text shortened]... yalty would be to what the man stood for, if it is just and honorable. I'm not loyal to books.
Which is EXACTLY why he should read the Bible.

w

Moves
23 May 13

The god associated with the Bible does not exist
Atheists are an odd bunch. They clamor for evidence that God exists but have no problem stating that he does not exist without any evidence.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
23 May 13

evidence, nil.
I have plenty of evidence...indeed I also have a proof your god does not exist! A proof that I have shown you twice, and on both occasions you were at a loss for words!

How come you're so forgetful?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
23 May 13

Originally posted by whodey
Atheists are an odd bunch. They clamor for evidence that God exists but have no problem stating that he does not exist without any evidence.
See above

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 May 13

I have plenty of evidence...indeed I also have a proof your god does not exist! A proof that I have shown you twice, and on both occasions you were at a loss for words!

How come you're so forgetful?
You evidence amounts to...Go take a crap...Then look in the t o i l e t.

The Instructor

rc

Moves
23 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
was that really necessary?

rc

Moves
23 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by e4chris
if its any consilation i read a bit from proverbs this morning and it was not a waist of time at all. was just a page but informative.

i guess if its a chore its a waist of time?
There are easier books to read than others, proverbs is good, no doubt, Joshua is a good story to read as is the book of Acts, its quite pacey and you will see how dynamic Christianity was at its inception. I would start with these two, the narratives are good. One of the most difficult books i found to read was the book of Isaiah, its very symbolic and its not always easy to determine what is going on.

some are like a chore others are quite enjoyable.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 May 13

was that really necessary?
It was one of those urges I got.

The Instructor

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
23 May 13

The Instructor
Dude, I've got a stinking cold...the last thing I need is to be reminded of you. 😞

e

Moves
24 May 13
3 edits

There are easier books to read than others, proverbs is good, no doubt, Joshua is a good story to read as is the book of Acts, its quite pacey and you will see how dynamic Christianity was at its inception. I would start with these two, the narratives are good. One of the most difficult books i found to read was the book of Isaiah, its very symboli ...[text shortened]... always easy to determine what is going on.

some are like a chore others are quite enjoyable.
I will try them, thanks.

Its odd as i guess every christian has to start at some point and they can't of read the bible, they must judge it will be good before finishing. The NT does impress me a lot. there's a lot of truths i've read that are very useful today and it counters a lot of the harshness of the OT.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
24 May 13
1 edit

The Instructor
Is this yet another Christian ritual ? 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Divination ??

e

Moves
24 May 13

Originally posted by caissad4
Is this yet another Christian ritual ? 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Divination ??
see the octopus thread it is highly relevant