Theological Implications of Right to Lifers

Theological Implications of Right to Lifers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
What if Pope Benedict teaches that he is a liar, that everything he says is false? Will you believe him and change your mind accordingly?
He wouldn't be speaking Ex Cathedra, so there would be no reason to take this testimony as infallible.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
That is incorrect. I was referring to Right to Lifers in general, the majority of which are not Catholics (in the US anyway). Halitose is not a Catholic and he was consistently arguing that human beings exist from conception. I was expecting some input from other Christian denominations, but it's been veryyyyyyyyy quiet except for LH.
Since I am part of one group (Christian) and not the other (Right To Lifers), I guess I won't have too much to say on the subject. However, outside of Catholicism, you won't find many who believe in limbo, purgatory, or etc.
Pardon the interruption.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by bbarr
He wouldn't be speaking Ex Cathedra, so there would be no reason to take this testimony as infallible.
Assume he was in the chair when making this proclamation.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Mar 06

You're not dealing with Jesuits here, don't presume too much.
"...here; don't..."

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Assume he was in the chair when making this proclamation.
'Ex Cathedra' isn't determined by physical location, but on the topic of the proclamation. The pope is only infallible when speaking on issues of church doctrine that regard faith or morality. I'm sure you can alter your question accordingly and still derive the desired paradox.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Since I am part of one group (Christian) and not the other (Right To Lifers), I guess I won't have too much to say on the subject. However, outside of Catholicism, you won't find many who believe in limbo, purgatory, or etc.
Pardon the interruption.
True enough, I hadn't expected the "limbo" angle (since it's not even official RCC doctrine).

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Mar 06
2 edits

'Ex Cathedra' isn't determined by physical location, but on the topic of the proclamation. The pope is only infallible when speaking on issues of church doctrine that regard faith or morality. I'm sure you can alter your question accordingly and still derive the desired paradox.
Deriving paradoxes from Catholic doctrine is hardly a challenge.

Suppose that the Pope makes this ex cathedra proclamation: The Lord has told me that He has just revoked the 5th Commandment, in a similar manner to how he revoked many other Old Testament Laws.

Does LH now hold that it is morally permissible to murder? If not, what distinguishes this hypothetical papal proclamation from the other with regard to the trust LH places in each?

Or how about this ex cathedra claim: "The Lord has told me that it is immoral for faithful Catholics to continue to put stock in my ex cathedra proclamations."

Will LH believe this?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
08 Mar 06

Most definitely. If papal infallability isn't a church doctrine that regards faith, then I don't know what is.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]You're not dealing with Jesuits here, don't presume too much.
"...here; don't..."[/b]
Do you think that all comma splices are errors? This must be the one rule of usage you've (almost) mastered.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Mar 06

Do you think that all comma splices are errors? This must be the one rule of usage you've (almost) mastered.
No, just those commited by non-Evangelicals.

l

London

Moves
08 Mar 06

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that Christ's crucifixion was an action of his, but O.K. In any case, it isn't as though there is some direct causal link between Christ's crucifixion and the possibility of our salvation. That the crucifixion provides enables us to have the opportunity to be saved is something that God wrought, not Christ as man. ...[text shortened]... ually analogous, and that there would be no threat to our moral autonomy in the zygote case.
In any case, it isn't as though there is some direct causal link between Christ's crucifixion and the possibility of our salvation.

There is - and that was the whole point of Christ's sacrifice.

You (and tel) are arguing as though God drew up an arbitrary set of "rules" to interact with mankind. I'm arguing that there are no created "rules"; that when God does something He cannot actually do otherwise. The so-called "rules" are just corollaries of being and non-being.

l

London

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by telerion
Fascinating. I wonder then who created God and the support over which his "metaphysical nature" has meaning.
Metaphysical nature needs "support" only if one is talking about contingent beings.

l

London

Moves
08 Mar 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
It seems it's hardly "your" mind if you change it merely on someone else's fiat.
If I decide today that I have cancer (without a medical opinion), then change my mind tomorrow because the doctor(s) tell me I have no cancer, then is it suddenly "someone else"'s mind?

The act of accepting authority is still an exercise of free will.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Mar 06

So doing everything you were ever told would be an "exercise of free will"? You have some really strange concepts; my dog has free will by that logic.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
[b]In any case, it isn't as though there is some direct causal link between Christ's crucifixion and the possibility of our salvation.

There is - and that was the whole point of Christ's sacrifice.

You (and tel) are arguing as though God drew up an arbitrary set of "rules" to interact with mankind. I'm arguing that there are no created "rul ually do otherwise. The so-called "rules" are just corollaries of being and non-being.[/b]
'Direct' here means 'unmediated'. The causal link between Christ's crucifixion and our opportunity for salvation was mediated by God. That is why the two cases are analogous. If the causal link between Christ's crucifixion was unmediated by God, and if it is the case that it wasn't Christ as God that was crucified but, rather, Christ as man, then there would be no explanation for why the crucifixions of other men didn't have similar effects on our opportunity for salvation.