Theism and Elves

Theism and Elves

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 05

I just read an article about elves:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/13/international/europe/13elves.html?ex=1121918400&en=354d75fdba01bfea&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

The gist of it is that many people in Iceland believe in elves. What do you all think about this?

I am especially interested in these topics: belief in elves compared and contrasted with belief in god(s); and the nature of elves from the perspective of theists who think they may exist or do exist.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/13/international/europe/13elves.html?ex=1121918400&en=354d75fdba01bfea&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

The gist of it is that many people in Iceland believe in elves. What do you all think about this?

I am especially interested in these topics: belief in elves compared and c ...[text shortened]... ); and the nature of elves from the perspective of theists who think they may exist or do exist.
You spelled "Elvis" wrong .

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
You spelled "Elvis" wrong .
Damn. Someone rec this for me.

h

Cosmos

Moves
20 Jul 05

Elvis, Elves, God - none of them exist.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
20 Jul 05
1 edit

The gist of it is that many people in Iceland believe in ...[text shortened]... m the perspective of theists who think they may exist or do exist.
Echoes of the long-ago.
I wonder if Neanderthal Man is still remembered by us?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
20 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by David C
Damn. Someone rec this for me.
done

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Echoes of the long-ago.
I wonder if Neandertal Man is still remembered by us?

Sure. I've seen Neanderthals in the bus depot.

PD

Arizona, USA

Moves
20 Jul 05

The reason that elves don't actually speak directly to people is that elves fail to exist.

The reason that deities don't actually speak directly to people is that deities want us to take their existence on faith.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Dirac
The reason that elves don't actually speak directly to people is that elves fail to exist.

The reason that deities don't actually speak directly to people is that deities want us to take their existence on faith.
What about those deities that sent their child to Earth? Seems to me those don't have much faith on faith.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Jul 05

[i]

I am especially interested in these topics: belief in elves compared and contrasted with belief in god(s); and the nature of elves from the perspective of theists who think they may exist or do exist.
Moi aussi, compadre.

Elves...where to begin.

Elves & gods. In Ireland, over the centuries, the gods dwindled to the Sidhe, becoming smaller of stature (3 foot). I don't know, though, if the Sidhe count as elves or are just miniature gods.

The Norse distinguished between lios alfar and svart alfar (light and dark elves). They lived independently of the mortal gods. The Icelandic elves are probably lios alfar, since the svart alfar favour unpleasant places (those tunnel people under New York city that were in the news a few years back spring to mind). They seem to be older spirits and less helpful. Nobody ever worshipped elves, although they might have propitiated them (perhaps the same act originally?). They are, I think, less corruptible than gods. Now don't go confusing them with fairies.

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by howardgee
Elvis, Elves, God - none of them exist.
Would you like to supply some evidence to back up your statement?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Would you like to supply some evidence to back up your statement?
Be quiet, you're disturbing the elves. Haven't you read the Goat's article?

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Be quiet, you're disturbing the elves. Haven't you read the Goat's article?
I suppose they fall asleep when they hear your voice...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
I suppose they fall asleep when they hear your voice...
I've been whistling Dixie in an effort to attract them without any success so far. I'll keep you posted.

(They dislike human voices in general but monotheists really get them ticked off. They can smell a Christian a mile away.)

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I've been whistling Dixie in an effort to attract them without any success so far. I'll keep you posted.

(They dislike human voices in general but monotheists really get them ticked off. They can smell a Christian a mile away.)
The elves (so I hear) generally hang out with the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Jul 05

Originally posted by rwingett
The elves (so I hear) generally hang out with the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
...who apparently gave Bobby Fischer (currently resident in Iceland) the idea for his game of Random Chess.