the unforgivable sin

the unforgivable sin

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
15 Feb 07

someone i used to work with told me that god can forgive every sin except one; his brother was training to become a priest and told him every sin is forgivable in the eyes of god but one, he said this knowledge was well known among priests and clergymen though he was not allowed to say what this unforgivable sin was...

does anyone know? is this mentioned anywhere in the bible?

any info on this would be appreciated; thanks

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Feb 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
someone i used to work with told me that god can forgive every sin except one; his brother was training to become a priest and told him every sin is forgivable in the eyes of god but one, he said this knowledge was well known among priests and clergymen though he was not allowed to say what this unforgivable sin was...

Matthew 12:31: Therefore I say unto you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

There is a parallel passage at Mark 3:28-30

C

Earth Prime

Moves
15 Feb 07

www.blasphemychallenge.com

j

CA, USA

Moves
16 Feb 07

I've heard the "unforgivable sin" was suicide.

Too late to ask forgiveness.

z

Moves
16 Feb 07

Not beliveing in God.

z

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by jammer
I've heard the "unforgivable sin" was suicide.

Too late to ask forgiveness.
John Paul II said that it is not our place to judge the souls of the dead. The Catholic Church used to believe that suicide was a sin that sent you straight to hell. Now they say its a sin, but say that it is up to God.

Earl of Rochester

Restoration London

Moves
16 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by zambony
Not beliveing in God.
Believing in a cultural fairytale. . . .

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Feb 07

I would get in on this, but then you wouldn't believe it anyway.

e

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by josephw
I would get in on this, but then you wouldn't believe it anyway.
go on, i'm intrigued

Cape Town

Moves
16 Feb 07
1 edit

does anyone know?
Keeping the secret to yourself? Or is that one forgivable?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Feb 07

go on, i'm intrigued
How familiar are you with the bible?

C

Earth Prime

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by josephw
How familiar are you with the bible?
Don't beat around the bush. If you have something to say, say it. This isn't the time for interrogations. If he doesn't understand what you say, he'll either ask for clarification or disregard you because he doesn't care. This is a forum, not a chat where you can ask pointless questions before making your statement.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by Coconut
Don't beat around the bush. If you have something to say, say it. This isn't the time for interrogations. If he doesn't understand what you say, he'll either ask for clarification or disregard you because he doesn't care. This is a forum, not a chat where you can ask pointless questions before making your statement.
Well said.

j

Moves
17 Feb 07

We have to keep the context in mind. In the account, the "learned" people of the time we saying that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Beelzebul. Jesus replied, eventually, by saying that blasphemy against the Spirit is unforgiveable.

Jesus even says that a word said against Him is forgiveable, but not against the Holy Spirit (Mt. 12:32).

My only thought about this is that it falls on the unsaved. People who are saved, and living that life would not say a word against Jesus, let alone the Spirit. But this is something we may never truly understand, so I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.

j

CA, USA

Moves
17 Feb 07

Originally posted by jonesyuno34
We have to keep the context in mind. In the account, the "learned" people of the time we saying that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Beelzebul. Jesus replied, eventually, by saying that blasphemy against the Spirit is unforgiveable.

Jesus even says that a word said against Him is forgiveable, but not against the Holy Spirit (Mt. 12:32).
...[text shortened]... is something we may never truly understand, so I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.
Then God must not be a fan of free speach .. which makes the USA a Godless nation.

A single word against the Holy Spirit (whatever that is) and you're damned for eternity .. no Mulligans, no "do overs", no oopsys, no never ever having a chance at redemption.