The Triune God in John 16

The Triune God in John 16

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Aug 16
5 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
17' As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.' (Mark 10:18)

What is your understanding of Jesus saying no one is good except God alone?

I think that Jesus was telling the young man that if he was willing to call Him (Jesus), good, he had to be willing to call Him God. None is good except God alone.

Jesus is God-man.

To understand the universe and its purpose well we have to learn of Jesus Christ.
We have to examine very closely the man Jesus Christ if we wish to understand why the universe and man exists and what the destiny of redeemed man is.

Of course studying the hydrogen atom might render some help. But it will not render the kind of help that studying the God-man Jesus Christ will render.

We may study gravity and learn something interesting about the universe.
But to truly understand the meaning of the universe we must study the mingling of God and man in the Person of Jesus Christ.

Then we must realize that God's eternal purpose is to produce many sons to be "brothers" of the Firstborn Son. That is conformed to His image.

" And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to HIS PURPOSE.

Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brothers." (Romans 8:28,29)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by divegeester
How come you still can't tell me that despite god telling you to deprioritise talking about everything apart from the trinity teaching, what the consequences are of someone rejecting it as error?
Bump for sonship...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Aug 16

Bump for sonship...
Tell me what you think about this passage.

" But now I am going to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, Where are You going? But because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. But I tell you the truth, It is expedient that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you." ( 16:5-6)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Aug 16
5 edits

God is one. Yet we Christians have "an Advocate with the Father".

For any believer affirming that the Son is God, "an Advocate with the Father" has to reveal a very mysterious oneness in which God is with God. A "Dual Une" God is seen here

We need all the help divinely available. John teaches that "an Advocate with the Father" is to the Christians' advantage

"My little children, these things I write to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous;

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, not for ours only bu also for those of the whole world." (1 John 2:1,2)

What an advantage! We have "the Father" and a Righteous Attorney, and Advocate and Helper (Paraclete), with the Father.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
4 edits

"We have an Advocate with the Father" reveals TWO __________s - the Advocate and the Father with Whom He is.

I leave it blank because I don't know what human language word could express the mysterious relationship between the Father and the Son as the Advocate with the Father.

Maybe we can borrow the word "Persons" but not try to press it too far.

The believers have an Advocate (a "Person" ) WITH ... the Father, another "Person".

I am a believer in Jesus Christ as God the Son. I have an Advocate with the Father. Mysteriously this Son is also called the Eternal Father in isaiah 9:6.

He must be the eternal Father. And He must also be the Prince of Peace in the same way. He is Wonderful.

He is full of wonder. If the " Advocate with the Father" is called eternal Father yet is not the eternal Father, then He must not be the Prince of Peace though He is called the Prince of Peace.

See Isaiah 9:6.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship
Tell me what you think about this passage.
I'd rather you just answered the question instead of dodging it all the time.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
4 edits

God is Triune.

Sorry Unitarians cannot prove this incorrect.
Well, to be honest, I am not sorry.
I care for the truth of the word of God.

But John 16 is another wonderful chapter showing the tri-unity of God.
I may soon go on to chapter 17 to demonstrate the same matter.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

"And when He comes, He will convict the world concerning sin and concerning righteousness and concerning judgment.

Concerning sin, because they do not believe into Me.
Concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you no longer behold Me.
Concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged." ( John 16:8-11)

Who can explain the three "because"/s in this passage ?

I am not sure that there is a definite Right or Wrong interpretation of this passage.
I am interested to hear from a serious contemplation of this passage.

KellyJay, maybe you could take a crack at an answer. I give you what I think is the toughest of the three. I am all ears.

Why does Jesus say here ? -

"Concerning righteousness BECAUSE I go to the Father."

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Aug 16

Dodging; noted.

Blah blah blah; noted.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

Dodging; noted.

Blah blah blah; noted.
I told you that you would be best on your propaganda campaign if you just dedicated a THREAD to my supposed dodging of your killer question.

Go for it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16

Poor, poor Unitarianism !!

c

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
17' As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.' (Mark 10:18)

What is your understanding of Jesus saying no one is good except God alone?
Verse 18 seems to make clear that Jesus and God are 2 completely different entities, of which....only God is good. No trinity there.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by chaney3
Verse 18 seems to make clear that Jesus and God are 2 completely different entities, of which....only God is good. No trinity there.

Hi chaney. I rather see it in context with too many passages indicating that though God and Jesus are distinct, they are not separate.

Especially, in John the Father lives in the Son and the Son lives in the Father. These kinds of utterances should not be taken for granted.

So I would submit that Jesus is drawing the man's attention to the fact that if he is willing to call Him GOOD, He has to be willing to call Him God.

No? Too much reference to another Gospel ?
I try to anticipate what might be an objection.

Please take a moment and further develop for my poor sake, that you have in the passage Jesus and God definitely SEPARATED because Jesus says none is good except God and WHY do you call Him, a man, " good?"

I am ready to hear your reasons fairly.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by sonship
[b] "And when He comes, He will convict the world concerning sin and concerning righteousness and concerning judgment.

Concerning sin, because they do not believe into Me.
Concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you no longer behold Me.
Concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged." ( John 16:8-11) ...[text shortened]... ay here ? -

[quote] [b] "Concerning righteousness BECAUSE I go to the Father."
[/b]
That is a very simple passage. Only those who cannot swallow its simple meaning would rather complicate it and make it more easily conformable to their doctrine.

The Holy Spirit:
- comes to replace Jesus Christ
- comes to continue the work of Jesus Christ
- comes to reprove / correct / remind /advise the world of:
1. Sin - those who do not believe [meaning to follow and obey] the teachings and commandments of Christ will continue in their sinful lifestyle. The Holy Spirit will correct that.
2. Righteousness - Jesus is the model of righteousness and His teachings leads one to living righteously. But he now goes back to God. The HS will now serve as the model that Christians can emulate
3. Judgment of Satan - the teachings of Jesus plus the subsequent the death and resurrection of of Jesus Christ has destroyed much sin in the world. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. (Luke 10:18 KJV)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
That is a very simple passage. Only those who cannot swallow its simple meaning would rather complicate it and make it more easily conformable to their doctrine.

The Holy Spirit:
- comes to replace Jesus Christ
- comes to continue the work of Jesus Christ
- comes to reprove / correct / remind /advise the world of:
1. Sin - those who do not believe [me ...[text shortened]... ld. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. (Luke 10:18 KJV)
Where are we told to "emulate" Jesus ?

Incidently, that book I quoted, The Judgment Seat of Christ was by D.M. Panton not Robert Govette. Some may care.