The Silliest Aspect of Catholicism

The Silliest Aspect of Catholicism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
What do you think it is?

1) Papal infallibility
2) Immaculate conception
3) Denying women access to the priesthood
4) Vow of celibacy
5) Purgatory
6) Taxonomy of sins
7) Impermissibility of contraception
8) Denial of Holy Communion to those deemed unworthy because of their stance in relation to the Church
just like all of the other religions, the silliest aspect is worshipping god.
ever if there was a god, hes not going to be so egotistical that he needs people worshipping and praising him.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by Nemesio
Hey LH,

Just a question: How does a Roman Catholic know if a given document/encyclical (e.g., HV)
has the special protection you mention? That is, take Deus Caritas Est: is this an infallible
teaching of the Church? If so, how do you know? And, are all encyclicals (say of the modern era
following Vatican I) infallible? And, if so, how does a Roman Catholic know this to be true?

Nemesio
Bump for LH.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
23 Mar 07

Hmmm . . .

Moves
24 Mar 07

Bump for LH.
This may be an absolutely shameless attempt at resurrecting a question that had previously reached an honorable impasse, but—what about Honorius?

I let that die on the vine both because I relied on Jaroslav Pelikan’s belief that the argument was not strong, and because the only other reference I found was such a rabid Protestant polemic. But, in retrospect...?

s

Moves
25 Mar 07

There should be a spot on the list for the rosary. Like repeating yourself fifty times is going to help anything.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Mar 07

Originally posted by spinpsychle
There should be a spot on the list for the rosary. Like repeating yourself fifty times is going to help anything.
It can be relaxing just as other forms of meditation can be. I had a spiritual director who thought I should meditate by repeating the word *hesed* over and over. Nothing is meant for everybody, but it does help some people.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
27 Mar 07

Bump for LH.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Mar 07

9) That people professing to be Catholic don't care to elucidate what they profess to believe.

s

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
9) That people professing to be Catholic don't care to elucidate what they profess to believe.
10) That lead can be turned into gold by the words of a man.