1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '21 06:06
    @philokalia said
    I think you've misunderstood the post. It is absurd to think that unremarkable people are subjected to supernatural events & bargains with any kind of regularity. However, there is a God, and He is involved in the human experience, and human history.
    No. I disagree. I think I have encapsulated your point perfectly. As usual, the capital letters indicate a distillation of the persistent circular nature of the claims you make about supernatural things.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jun '21 10:491 edit
    There are a number of lectures and videos on the remains of Sodom and Gamorrah I have seen over the years. I would only post one which I found interesting and which makes a credible case. I think this one makes a credible case.

I think many people will be too annoyed to hear it through to the end which I did before posting a link here to it.

The building like structures is believable to me.
    The analysis of the burnable sulfur is credible to me.
    The location is more credible then the alternative opinion that the Sodom is
    covered by water now.

It is at least as reasonably thought through as David Attenborough telling me 60 millions years ago what some pre-human ancestor did one afternoon in detail or Carl Sagan telling me how many advanced civilizations should be in the galaxy with equivalent confidence.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Jun '21 18:27
    @sonship said
    There are a number of lectures and videos on the remains of Sodom and Gamorrah I have seen over the years. I would only post one which I found interesting and which makes a credible case. I think this one makes a credible case.

I think many people will be too annoyed to hear it through to the end which I did before posting a link here to it.

The building like ...[text shortened]... Sagan telling me how many advanced civilizations should be in the galaxy with equivalent confidence.
    But why should I spend time perusing your evidence, when you've got a Supernatural card in your pocket?

Do you have any idea where the border between Natural and Supernatural is?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '21 22:281 edit
    Odd how some believe that such a video must convince them to be of interest and worthy of watching. I guess they feel only their opions are worthy.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 00:54
    @eladar said
    Odd how some believe that such a video must convince them to be of interest and worthy of watching. I guess they feel only their opions are worthy.
    All any of us have to share here on this forum are our subjective opinions about supernatural and spiritual matters.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 11:522 edits
    @BigDoggProblem
    But why should I spend time perusing your evidence, when you've got a Supernatural card in your pocket?

That might be a challenge. God could do things in a way which our science understands something about. For example either the long day of Joshua or the sun dial moving backwards for king Hezekiah, I think could be "miraculous" interventions of God by using astronomical means.

I imagine that if perhaps a black hole entered into the solar system it could do something peculiar with the light of the sun and moon, warping the space-time realm with its intense gravity.

I am just saying that as we move more into the 21rst century I see more rather than less means at God's disposal to accomplish effects He wants to have happen for His purposes.

Anyway the very creation of the universe must be caused by means across the boundary of the natural and supernatural. Forces that we have no way of knowing are super natural. And space, time, energy are said to have had their beginning in God's creative act. (Gen. 1:1)

In God and the Astronomers, Dr. Robert Jastrow, world-renowned astrophysicist, describes the astronomical discoveries of recent years and the theological implications of the new insights afforded by science into mankind's place in the cosmos.

Maybe you have seen this quote from him.

" For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Or this one?

“Astronomers now find they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover. That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact.”
  7. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 20:23
    @sonship
    Amazing supernatural historic events are often nothing more than simple scientifically-explainable events that were exaggerated and twisted to ridiculous proportions by primitive and ignorant story-tellers.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 21:18
    @eladar said
    If you're referring to me, you've misunderstood my post.

It certainly would not be the first time.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 22:58
    @sonship said
    @BigDoggProblem

That might be a challenge. God could do things in a way which our science understands something about. For example either the long day of Joshua or the sun ...[text shortened]... t I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact.”
    Well, Jastrow sound like a theist. Many scientists are also theists.

I don't know all of his beliefs, but I would be surprised if he believed, for example, in 6000 year old earth.

We humans like to write narratives about the things we believe and observe. If we want to be taken seriously, we try and write a more cohesive narrative. Even if we succeed, the story is not necessarily true.

I think it is likely that humans will never discover all the facts about the universe. In that sense, I disagree with Jastrow. I don't think we're so near to the top of the Mountain of Knowledge. I think we have made a lot of progress, and our ego takes it from there, and claims our journey of learning is near the end.

There are still large unsolved problems in science. For example, could String Theory be correct? Right now, we have no way to test it. Even our largest particle collider cannot generate enough energy for that.

I think it is a considerable overstatement, on his part, to claim that Science has proven the Supernatural.

I am not even sure the concept of Supernatural is coherent. (Stole this point from twhitehead, but I think it's on the money.)
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 05:16
    @bigdoggproblem said

That's a good question.

The traditional belief, as far as I can tell, is that there is none. It is very modern to compartmentalize.

It can still be a miracle even when it is explainable through purely natural terms.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 06:32
    @sonship said
    “Annoyed”?

Annoyed with what?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 06:343 edits
    @eladar said
    Well I’m a Christian and I still think that it is complete twaddle. Worse than that; it is an insult to my intelligence and to the intelligence of the people sonship is trying ineffectively to cajole into watching it.

Edit; I’m not saying that these cities didn’t exist, nor am I saying that God didn’t destroy them. I’m just saying that this video is complete unscientific, aimed at the gullible, twaddle.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 20:33
    @philokalia said
    That's a good question.

The traditional belief, as far as I can tell, is that there is none. It is very modern to compartmentalize.

It can still be a miracle even when it is explainable through purely natural terms.
    So essentially, the position you've described is "God of the gaps"?

And miracles are things that happen only in the gaps?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 20:42
    @divegeester said
    Well I’m a Christian and I still think that it is complete twaddle. Worse than that; it is an insult to my intelligence and to the intelligence of the people sonship is trying ineffectively to cajole into watching it.

Edit; I’m not saying that these cities didn’t exist, nor am I saying that God didn’t destroy them. I’m just saying that this video is complete unscientific, aimed at the gullible, twaddle.
    Did I make a distinction between those who believe they are Christian and those who do not?

Homey don't think so.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    01 Jul '21 05:14
    @bigdoggproblem said
    So essentially, the position you've described is "God of the gaps"?

And miracles are things that happen only in the gaps?
    No, it is an interpenetration of the divine in the mundane.

Everything can be considered miraculous and a part of God's unfolding plan.

Which reminds me of the great words of realization from the film Journal of a Country Priest: All is grace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree