1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '20 01:151 edit
    @tom-wolsey said
    The "problem of evil" I spoke of has nothing to do with a generic or personal interpretation or extrapolation.
    Of course it does. You yourself said that "the problem of evil" is "...one of the main arguments skeptics use against the existence of God".

Sceptics ~ or believers for that matter ~ making their assertions about the existence of God in the context of "the problem of evil" is more or less ONLY about their "generic or personal interpretations or extrapolations" and little else.
  2. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    24 May '20 01:54
    @fmf said
    Of course it does. You yourself said that "the problem of evil" is "...one of the main arguments skeptics use against the existence of God".

Sceptics ~ or believers for that matter ~ making their assertions about the existence of God in the context of "the problem of evil" is more or less ONLY about their "generic or personal interpretations or extrapolations" and little else.
    You really don't get it, do you. You are talking about a completely different subject. If I say the sky is blue, you can interpret sky, interpret blue, however way you see fit but no matter what you say, my claim is based in fact and all your personal opinions are irrelevant to that fact. That's it. Pure and simple.

I made reference to a specific thing and you went on some derailing out of context rant involving your opinion and your right to have one.

*I* was talking about the classic philosophical argument, postulated more than 2 millennia ago. Google Epicurus. This argument is aimed specifically at the idea of God's existence and/or goodness.
    *You* changed the subject to something involving a personal opinion about evil with or without God included. When I explained you were off-subject, you played the victim card and whined about me not giving relevance to your opinion.

Everything beyond that has just been layers and layers of irrelevant, off-subject bs to the point where now, I can hardly even recall what the original conversation was. But this is normal. This is what you do. Oh well. What little entertainment value this conversation had, it's long gone now. So please get your final words in and let's move on.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '20 02:001 edit
    @tom-wolsey said
    You really don't get it, do you. You are talking about a completely different subject.
    The subject I am referring to is atheists/sceptics using the "problem of evil" issue to argue that God does not exist. That was what I responded to. That's what I commented on. I also shared my perspective on this use of the "problem of evil". The context for my comment is found in the OP, what others have said about it and what you said about it. I am most certainly not talking about something completely different. I am talking explicity and relevantly about what you posted.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '20 02:03
    @tom-wolsey said
    Everything beyond that has just been layers and layers of irrelevant, off-subject bs to the point where now, I can hardly even recall what the original conversation was.
    Perhaps you should just go take a look. It's only one page ago. The "original" conversation is about how one of the main arguments skeptics use against the existence of God is the "problem of evil." Go look.
  5. Porto, Portugal
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 08:361 edit
    @FMF

Good is the name of God. Retiring God, trere is no good or evil.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 08:42
    @vitorcostalima said
    @FMF

Oh hello, new person.

Welcome to our home. Enter freely. Go safely, and leave something of the happiness you bring.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 09:15
    @vitorcostalima said
    @FMF

You can attribute the rules for the moral governance of human interactions to a supernatural being or creator if that's how the way humand organize themselves best makes sense to you, but I think morality is a result of the fact that we are social beings and so have developed arrangements and standards to facilitate communal living and make it sustainable.

Notions of "good and evil" are therefore internalized and transferred by individuals, spouses, families, neighbours, colleagues, communities, churches and other groups, both religious and not-religious, schools, neighbourhoods, cities, societites, cultures etc.

That's why moral standards and values and attitudes ~ to things like "good and evil" ~ are not the same everywhere and have also changed down through history.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree