1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 May '20 08:272 edits
    "The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise who would care? " -VM Varga (Fargo Season 3)
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '20 08:43
    @dj2becker said
    "The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise who would care? " -VM Varga (Fargo Season 3)
    Alternatively;

The solution is not that there is good in the world, the solution is that there is evil. Because otherwise who would know?

divegeester (Lockdown Season 1)
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '20 11:10
    @dj2becker said
    Notions of good and evil are functions of cultures and communities and they are also internalized by individuals and form the basis for their moral compasses.

Humans benefit from these things because we are social beings and we want and need to live communally.

Societal values and norms, along with people's moral compasses, govern human interactions and so help communities to survive and flourish.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    05 May '20 05:50
    @fmf said
    Notions of good and evil are functions of cultures and communities
    Upon what premise do you base that assertion?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    05 May '20 05:56
    @divegeester said
    Alternatively;

The solution is not that there is good in the world, the solution is that there is evil. Because otherwise who would know?

divegeester (Lockdown Season 1)
    Even as convoluted as the quote in the OP is, your reply is even more bizarre.

"The solution is that there is evil."? You must be confused.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '20 07:32
    @secondson said

Can you comment on why you think the OP is convoluted and bizarre?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '20 07:34
    @secondson said
    Upon what premise do you base that assertion?
    The premise that is laid out in the text in my post that you omitted.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 May '20 08:16
    @secondson said
    If you find the OP convoluted then it comes as no surprise that you lack the depth of comprehension to understand my reply to it.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    06 May '20 06:30
    @fmf said
    Can you comment on why you think the OP is convoluted and bizarre?
    "The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good."

Sound reasoning would state, "the problem is that there is evil in the world, the solution to the problem of evil is that there is good."

"Good" overcomes evil. "Good" is never a "problem". The grammatical construct of Varga's quote undermines rational and logical thought relative to the nature and meaning of the concepts of what good and evil are in relation to each other.

And the added comment, "...otherwise who would care?", only serves to deepen the confusion generated by the suggestion that there being evil in the world is "not" the problem, but that a problem exists as a result of there being "good".

It's like throwing a curveball, but with words. You think it's coming at you along a certain trajectory, but at the end it slips right passed you.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    06 May '20 06:39
    @divegeester said
    If you find the OP convoluted then it comes as no surprise that you lack the depth of comprehension to understand my reply to it.
    Maybe I don't understand your reply. Perhaps you can deepen my comprehension and explain how your reply to the otherwise deceptive nature of Varga's assertion that evil isn't the problem, but that good is, and how your reply doesn't further add to the confusion.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 May '20 07:18
    @secondson said
    "The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good."

Sound reasoning would state, "the problem is that there is evil in the world, the solution to the problem of evil is that there is good."

"Good" overcomes evil. "Good" is never a "problem". The grammatical construct of Varga's quote undermines rational and logical thought relative ...[text shortened]... . You think it's coming at you along a certain trajectory, but at the end it slips right passed you.
    Have you tackled dj2becker, the OP poster, about it?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '20 07:49
    @secondson said

"Good" overcomes evil. "Good" is never a "problem". The grammatical construct of Varga's quote undermines rational and logical thought relative ...[text shortened]... . You think it's coming at you along a certain trajectory, but at the end it slips right passed you.
    I think in Varga’s case good was a problem to him because he had evil tendencies.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 May '20 10:17
    @secondson said
    Maybe I don't understand your reply. Perhaps you can deepen my comprehension and explain how your reply to the otherwise deceptive nature of Varga's assertion that evil isn't the problem, but that good is, and how your reply doesn't further add to the confusion.
    My reply is a self evident and self explanatory juxtaposition to the somewhat shallow premise in the OP and exposes it as such.

I’m sorry that comprehending it is beyond you.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    06 May '20 19:05
    @dj2becker said
    I think in Varga’s case good was a problem to him because he had evil tendencies.
    Considering his thought process with regards to good and evil there's no doubt.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    06 May '20 19:06
    @fmf said
    Have you tackled dj2becker, the OP poster, about it?
    Have you read the thread?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree