The probability that life could occur without the aid of God

The probability that life could occur without the aid of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
More like ingredients + intelligent mechanism = life. As opposed to ingredients + time + stupid random processes = life.
Are you saying the "ingredients" were in fact already there and were not created by this "intelligent mechanism"? This "intelligent mechanism" had to work with existing materials and created life out of those?

Also, you understand that at some point you're going to have to come up with an explanation for the existence of this "intelligent mechanism", right?

K

Germany

Moves
26 Apr 16

More like ingredients + intelligent mechanism = life. As opposed to ingredients + time + stupid random processes = life.
What empirical evidence, in your view, supports the existence of such an "intelligent mechanism"?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Well understood with a sun in the sky. Do pray tell how evaporation occurs in a primordial soup with no sun present.
We are all waiting to hear more about why there was no sun. Is this before God created it?

c

Moves
26 Apr 16

I don't believe that all of this could have been accidental. An atheist may get tired of hearing about a God, but a believer can also get tired of hearing about 'given a billions years, it could happen'.

Gravity, the magnetic field, the distance of the sun and moon, the atmosphere, and the complex nature of the human body. All of this *combined* doesn't seem to be an accident. And if it was accidental......are we to just throw in the added element of accidental food?

Just because the human body was seemingly an accident to some theories.......food was NOT a requirement to sustain this accident. The trivial fact that food grows out of the ground and off trees to sustain human life.....was that also part of the accident? At exactly the time human life just *happened*, potatoes and bananas just started growing?

I just think that too, too many things have happened for all of it to be accidental. The earth seems to be 'designed' for life, and to sustain life.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by chaney3
I don't believe that all of this could have been accidental. An atheist may get tired of hearing about a God, but a believer can also get tired of hearing about 'given a billions years, it could happen'.

Gravity, the magnetic field, the distance of the sun and moon, the atmosphere, and the complex nature of the human body. All of this *combined* doesn't ...[text shortened]... for all of it to be accidental. The earth seems to be 'designed' for life, and to sustain life.
Who's saying "all of this" could have been "accidental"?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

An atheist may get tired of hearing about a God, but a believer can also get tired of hearing about 'given a billions years, it could happen'.
And it appears you got tired in science class too. That doesn't make you right. You need a better counter argument than 'I'm tired'.

.....are we to just throw in the added element of accidental food?
Classic.

At exactly the time human life just *happened*, potatoes and bananas just started growing?
No. What gave you that idea? Even Genesis has the bananas first.

I just think that too, too many things have happened for all of it to be accidental.
Well given that you apparently don't know much about what happened your opinion doesn't count for much.

The earth seems to be 'designed' for life, and to sustain life.
'Seems' being the key word.

I also note that none of what you have said is an actual challenge to my OP. My OP refers specifically to explicit probability calculations not wild hand waving in ignorance.

Infidel

Moves
26 Apr 16

The earth seems to be 'designed' for life, and to sustain life.
It also seems rather well designed for horrible death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_by_death_toll

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Very good point.

Can we have a poll:
Did the AIDS virus occur naturally, or was it designed, and if so, by whom?

K

Germany

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Very good point.

Can we have a poll:
Did the AIDS virus occur naturally, or was it designed, and if so, by whom?
It was designed by God in order to punish sinners.

Just like the influenza virus in babies.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_by_death_toll

A non-optimal design is still a design.

A design which causes you some unhappiness towards the designer, is still a design.

So the cancer, the parasites, the starvation and other unpleasant things in the biosphere don't make random, undirected, purposeless evolution necessarily more likely.

And since this is the Spirititualality Forum, I may freely contribute a biblical tenet of the Fall. Something may have gone wrong with the design for some other reason.

Now on the side, on all the many pages over the years of the Science Forum have you ever known twhitehead to have dedicated a thread or a post to explaining probability analysis in abiogenesis ? Has anyone of you guys who complain about Intelligent Design dedicated a thread to abiogenesis and Probability ?

Infidel

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It was designed by God in order to punish sinners.

Just like the influenza virus in babies.
I believe the politically correct term is not "God" but "intelligent mechanism".

Babies get killed by an "intelligent mechanism".

Please, KN, keep up with the correct lingo.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

I believe the politically correct term is not "God" but "intelligent mechanism".

Please, KN, keep up with the correct lingo.

That's like in the 60s they referred to an Atomic Bomb as "a device."

Political correctness has been with us for a long time.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 16
3 edits

Please notice readers. There will likely be a shortage of discussion of Probability and an encreased number of statements showing resentment concerning God if He be believed as the Designer of the biosphere.

The probability question morphs into "Well, we don't like your God designer. We could have done better."

A non-optimal design or a design that you don't like is still a design.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonship
A non-optimal design is still a design.
But he didn't say it was a non-optimal design. He said it appeared to be designed for a specific purpose - horrible death.

So the question now, is can anyone come up with probability argument for whether or not the earth was designed to cause horrible death to human beings. Certainly the intricate and highly sophisticated workings of the AIDS virus or any number of other horrible diseases should convince just about any theists that they were designed.

And since this is the Spirititualality Forum, I may freely contribute a biblical tenet of the Fall. Something may have gone wrong with the design for some other reason.
So would you care to answer my poll? Do you think the AIDS virus was designed, and if so by whom?
I notice that your statement above implies that God designed the universe and then there was an accident. Was it a random accident or a designed accident? Did something 'go wrong on purpose'?

Now on the side, on all the many pages over the years of the Science Forum have you ever known twhitehead to have dedicated a thread or a post to explaining probability analysis in abiogenesis ? Has anyone of you guys who complain about Intelligent Design dedicated a thread to abiogenesis and Probability ?
Hilarious how you keep repeating this like it demonstrates something.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonship
Please notice readers. There will likely be a shortage of discussion of Probability .....
We can keep talking probability for as long as you like, but I notice a distinct shortage of people willing to put forward an argument based on an actual explicit probability calculation. All I see is lots of hand waving.